Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£20 - theft by finding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: £20 - theft by finding Reply with quote

Hopefully not pea roast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39129975
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39119990

If there's ever an example of why you should say "No comment"/"That's not me"/"I want legal advice" when talking to the police, this is it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw that myself actually. Yeah kinda stupid.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

...losers weepers.

"This was someone's hard-earned money and we are committed to supporting all victims in our community."

Hard earned, but not very well looked after.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
...losers weepers.

"This was someone's hard-earned money and we are committed to supporting all victims in our community."

Hard earned, but not very well looked after.

Yeah, victim of their own carelessness. But £20? Fuckin meh Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:53 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for the public interest test.

What would the average member of the public expect you to do if you found a £20 lying on the ground?

For me, look around, if noone was in the vicinity who looks like they dropped it, straight in the pocket.

It also begs the question where does it stop? What is the prosecution limit for picking money up off the floor?

Would you be done for picking up a plastic fiver hurredly dropped in disgust by a level 5 vegan?

A nugget?

A penny?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:58 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

What would the average member of the public expect you to do if you found a £20 lying on the ground?

What would you want the average member of the public to do if they found your £20 lying on the ground.

I know in my eutopia I'd pop along to the Police station the next day and Pickup my promptly handed in £20

Also she found the Money inside a premises' with cctv and reasonable possibility it belonged to the shopkeeper, it wasn't blowing free in the park. She had lots of recourse to finding the true owner.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Also she found the Money inside a premises' with cctv and reasonable possibility it belonged to the shopkeeper, it wasn't blowing free in the park. She had lots of recourse to finding the true owner.

Ain't nobody got time for that shit. It's £20, not a purse or wallet with cards etc in it. Oh, you could ask the shopkeeper to check his cctv footage - my guess is he'd just say, ain't got time for that shit, keep it mate.
Actually, if I found it in a shop, I'd probably just give it to the shopkeeper in the first place. Chances are it'd then end up in his till, his or not.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost £20 before - I certainly didn't bother trying to find out what happened to it - my first thought was "Balls, that made someone's day" - if it was a significant sum, then yes, I'd hope that it was handed in somewhere. But there's the rub, what constitutes a significant sum? That £20 might've been the only cash he had for food shopping for the coming week, and so, to him, it was a significant loss.

But it's astonishing that she wasn't just asked to return the cash and have an informal dressing-down by a uniformed officer about the rights and wrongs of keeping cash that she finds. Dem stats innit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:23 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the average member of the public do if they dropped £20 in a shop?

Go back and say "Did I drop £20 in here?"

Shopkeep says "Yeah, I saw some bird picking something up, it's probably on the CC... oops."

MOP throws an eppy, "That's for my babby's fags!", shrieks for the poh-leece, the wheels of State grind into inexorable motion, and many many people's time is consequently wasted.

I reckon I've spotted who the villain is here.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I've lost £20 before - I certainly didn't bother trying to find out what happened to it - my first thought was "Balls, that made someone's day" - if it was a significant sum, then yes, I'd hope that it was handed in somewhere. But there's the rub, what constitutes a significant sum? That £20 might've been the only cash he had for food shopping for the coming week, and so, to him, it was a significant loss.

I heard about someone who found £50 in an envelope, handed it into a police station, and ended up getting a thank you card from the person (who'd lost it) as it was for the deposit on a wedding dress.

I'd expect the shop keeper to keep it actually (if you handed it in), however I would personally unless I was broke. It's different if you see who drops it, someone once tried to step on my wallet to cover it up when I dropped it in a shop Evil or Very Mad

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:03 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH if I realised I'd dropped £20 I wouldnt even go back to ask (unless it was seconds ago) as the odds of it being there are so slim.

If I dropped my wallet (or found someone elses) I'd expect it to be handed into the police, but again it's less about the cash and more about the cost and inconvenience of replacing driving license, cards, personal items and the wallet itself. I rarely carry more than £40 and if that was missing when the wallet was returned, meh. I'd still be glad to have the rest back.

To waste court time on it is simply moronic.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three months!
That's how long it was before plod contacted the "thief".

FFS, your bike/car/property gets nicked, even with clear cctv evidence, social meeja bragging and the name of the scrote who did it, plod are not even remotely interested.
Yet someone loses a £20 note and plod "investigate" for 3 months, going through the cctv and nick someone, WTF is going on?

Why was the "thief" not just told to give the "victim" the £20 back, instead of wasting public money on a court case? Rolling Eyes

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I'd expect the shop keeper to keep it actually (if you handed it in)

That's _exactly_ what would happen in 99% of cases.
After seeing this, I think that I'd make a point of letting the shopkeep know that I've found some money (exact amount would be kept confidential) - and that I've taken it to the local police station in an envelope.

M.C wrote:
...It's different if you see who drops it, someone once tried to step on my wallet to cover it up when I dropped it in a shop Evil or Very Mad

Yup, you deserve to burn in hell if you see someone drop something and then attempt to keep it.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who in the blue fuck would actually report the loss of £20 to the police in the first place!!!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
But there's the rub, what constitutes a significant sum?

See, that's the first thing I thought.

If I lost a score, I'd be vaguely annoyed but it wouldn't be the end of my life.

If I found one, I'd be pretty pleased (but then I'd be pleased if I found 20p Laughing )

So for me, a significant sum to lose would be £100 or more. In fact, the more I think about it, I'd be proper annoyed even to lose £50.

In terms of handing in a significant sum, I suppose between £100-£1000 I would quite likely be inclined to hand it in. Just in case it was someone's wages.

Anything over that ... my morals regarding cash would be considerably slacker Shifty ... for better or worse, my "They must be dodgy and can afford to lose it" radar would kick in.

Having said that, when my grandfather died, my mother went up to the house to help sort things out, and she found that my grandmother had been walking around town with NZ$40,000* in cash in her handbag. (!!!!!) An old woman of over 70, with that much cash in her handbag, Jesus.

*back then, that equated to about £13,300

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's different if you see who drops it, someone once tried to step on my wallet to cover it up when I dropped it in a shop Evil or Very Mad

This reminded me of a time I was in a nightclub (many, many moons ago) - my friend found a wallet on the dance-floor, removed all of the cash and then handed it in to the DJ. I was genuinely appalled that she'd taken the money, she said "Well, the DJ will take the cash anyway, so I may as well have it" - my argument of "get them to announce it and wait by the booth then" (i.e. hold onto the wallet until the owner appeared) didn't wash, she clearly just wanted to steal the cash but wanted to justify it to herself somehow. _That_ was theft in my book, but we all have different morals I guess, if I found a wallet I'd want it returned to its rightful owner with its contents intact, because that's what I'd hope someone would do if they found mine.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:31 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Who in the blue fuck would actually report the loss of £20 to the police in the first place!!!

Isn't the point here that someone did report the loss? The police aren't trawling through all shops cctv footage for easy scores.

Someone was left worse off because of the criminal act of theft by finding, if they are bothered enough to make a complaint then the police should investigate. just as they should when a bike gets stolen etc. It probably took 3 months because it was such a low priority.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Anything over that ... my morals regarding cash would be considerably slacker Shifty ... for better or worse, my "They must be dodgy and can afford to lose it" radar would kick in.

https://money.aol.co.uk/2013/11/05/honesty-doesnt-pay-builder-gets-nothing-after-handing-in-18k/
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped a very well looked after fart in a shop once. Went back a couple hours later but there was no sign of it. I was just too sad to ask the bloke behind the counter, but I think he had something to do with it, the look he gave me.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
This reminded me of a time I was in a nightclub (many, many moons ago) - my friend found a wallet on the dance-floor, removed all of the cash and then handed it in to the DJ. I was genuinely appalled that she'd taken the money, she said "Well, the DJ will take the cash anyway, so I may as well have it" - my argument of "get them to announce it and wait by the booth then" (i.e. hold onto the wallet until the owner appeared) didn't wash, she clearly just wanted to steal the cash but wanted to justify it to herself somehow. _That_ was theft in my book, but we all have different morals I guess, if I found a wallet I'd want it returned to its rightful owner with its contents intact, because that's what I'd hope someone would do if they found mine.

I've got a worse one. A (former) friend found a handbag, in it was the ID of a girl we knew down the pub (who had recently fallen* pregnant), and £200. He kept the money, justifying it by saying she would have spent that on a night out anyway.

*by repeatedly falling on a phallus, at least I think that's how it happens.

Dave-G wrote:
Thing is though, handing anything into a plod station is a ball ache. I found a Samsung J5 last year, smashed screen on a pay and display car park. As there was a Police station a few minutes walk, I handed it in. They wanted to know so much, where it was found, was the screen smashed when I found it or did I drop it, etc etc.

Won't bother next time.

We used to sometimes find keys in my previous job, and had to stop handing them in as you'd spend so f'ing long in some police stations.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely hand the money over to the police. For someone living on the breadline it would be a huge amount to lose.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ms Bailey said her life has been "turned upside down".

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder212/14685212.jpg

Andy_Pagin wrote:
I'd definitely hand the money over to the police. For someone living on the breadline it would be a huge amount to lose.

I wouldn't hand it in, but I likely wouldn't pick it up either (unless maybe on hard times)
Not my shit, not my problem to have to hand in either.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:37 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the shopkeeper was mdp72 though?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3