Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Driving a car with no MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Driving a car with no MOT Reply with quote

Just how stupid an idea is this? The fine's £1000 and no points right(?), but I'm guessing if you were stopped you couldn't carry on your journey? Also what's the situation with insurance?

Background: watching a car with a recently expired MOT, looks decent but it has (at least) one fault it would fail on, too far away to realistically book in for an MOT anyway.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the fault can you not take it to a local garage for an MOt and to get it fixed?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably depends on where you live - transport police presence, ANPR prevalence, etc.

In North Yorkshire I could probably get away with it eternally, without tax either if I really felt like testing the system.

When I moved out of my old house I had to go 30 miles on my recent MOT failure motorbike, starting from the centre of Leeds.

Last edited by Lord Percy on 15:26 - 02 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masking tape over numberplates and tow it home.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I'd been riding my bike all over the shop with no MOT for about 6 months 18 months back. I'd been all the way down the M6, M40 and halfway round the M25. Up and down the M74 umpteen times and most of the A9.

I think chances of being stopped are very slim as long as it doesn't flag up as not tax or insurance.

How you going to tax it with no MOT? That's the rub. They'll confiscate it on the spot for no tax.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
What is the fault can you not take it to a local garage for an MOt and to get it fixed?

Airbag light on.

Lord Percy wrote:
Probably depends on where you live - transport police presence, ANPR prevalence, etc.

It would be 140 miles down the motorway from Birmingham, that's what worries me.

grr666 wrote:
Masking tape over numberplates and tow it home.

No other vehicles/trailer to tow with, unless I can pull it along with my bike Smile I'm guessing having it recovered would be hideously expensive?

stinkwheel wrote:
How you going to tax it with no MOT? That's the rub. They'll confiscate it on the spot for no tax.

Hmm hadn't thought of that one Thinking I thought you needed insurance before but that was stopped?

Edit: balls the new tax rules will be an issue Sad

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:36 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I found I'd been riding my bike all over the shop with no MOT for about 6 months 18 months back. I'd been all the way down the M6, M40 and halfway round the M25. Up and down the M74 umpteen times and most of the A9.

I think chances of being stopped are very slim as long as it doesn't flag up as not tax or insurance.

I rode my Bike with no insurance for 3 months in and out of London and didn't get clocked Shifty

It wasn't totally my fault. It was one of those 12+ 3 months 'free' insurance policies so it got out of sync with the Tax/Mot Schedule. They also didn't contact me AT ALL no email no phone call they just ended the policy. I only found out because I got a letter through saying my bike was taxed but not insured and this is an offensive etc. Embarassed

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing... I'm not lucky Very Happy £2000+ in fines apparently for no MOT/tax, that cheap car could end up costing a fortune.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:52 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book it in for an MOT at a local garage and drive it. It's cheeky but it might just work.

Driving without MOT is a non endorsable offence, and I don't think it carries a very high fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:57 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packet of resistors, short the pins, mot and drive home.

Not worth the alternatives as you'll almost certainly get pulled for no tax and you cant get tax without MOT.

Also worth noting that many insurance companies quietly started adding wording about not covering vehicles without MOT. I took insurance last year and happened to say to the guy on the phone that I was glad to have got it sorted as I had an MOT booked the next day and he goes " that policy wont cover you to drive it to the text if it doesnt have a current MOT".

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick search regarding the airbag warning, it's a bit more complicated than I thought, and there's the possibility it could fail on something else.

How are you meant to get vehicles back on the road if you can't tax them or have valid insurance? Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:18 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't jump at a car if it's got the SRS light on. It could be anything from a loose connector under the seat, or it could mean stripping half the bollocksing electrics and replacing random parts. Warning brought to you by the SRS light in my Zafirea which has now exhausted all of the "Yeah, easy, you just need to..." suggested fixes.

As always, if it was an easy fix, the current owner would have done it and put a year's MOT on it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could well be, the car's a part exchange (no warranty mate) dealer bargain. Its not been taxed since November, and hasn't failed an MOT. Could be the dealer knows the extent of the problem.

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive it back directly to a prebooked MOT at garage local to you. No MOT or tax required for the journey, and no restriction on the distance or incidental stops either.

Insure it obviously.

Whether you actually take it to the MOT or not is of course your call Wink

Edit: No MOT is usually a FPN (£100 or £60 can't remember which) - the maximum £1000 was only if it went to court I think.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRS light on my last car required a new passenger seat to extinguish.

£1000 part from Toyota, plus labour. Good job it was under warranty.

Be sure what you're getting into before you part with the munnies. Diagnostic reader may tell you what it's not happy about in general terms.

Why is this dealer not dealing with it?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you had book in for an MOT within a reasonable distance?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:48 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not one word in the legislation about distance. Case law goes both ways. You're not lucky.

M.C wrote:
Could be the dealer knows the extent of the problem.

Run, do not walk, away from that vehicle, unless it's a rare car that you absolutely must have, or they are asking 4 figures less than anyone else in the country.

You're not lucky.

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I thought you had book in for an MOT within a reasonable distance?

As long as it's not dangerous there is no distance restriction Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
There's not one word in the legislation about distance. Case law goes both ways. You're not lucky.

M.C wrote:
Could be the dealer knows the extent of the problem.

Run, do not walk, away from that vehicle, unless it's a rare car that you absolutely must have, or they are asking 4 figures less than anyone else in the country.

You're not lucky.

Laughing

I messaged the dealer to see what they would say:
Me: Hi, have you investigated the airbag issue?
Dealer: No I'm afraid not

Dealers are honest people right?

It might actually go for a grand under what it's (probably) worth, it sold but didn't sell for £500-700 under when it had some MOT left.

My understanding was MOT sort of localish, if it fails drive it to a sort of localish garage, but if the rules can be bent Thinking

techsnap
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:33 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I wouldn't jump at a car if it's got the SRS light on. It could be anything from a loose connector under the seat, or it could mean stripping half the bollocksing electrics and replacing random parts.

Or could even mean it's been in a crash which activated the SRS system and hasn't been properly repaired / reset since...

Although it might be a royal pain in the arse, presumably if you were determined you could take the bulb out of that light, go to local MOT place, then tax and drive home with your 'legit' ticket...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techsnap wrote:
Or could even mean it's been in a crash which activated the SRS system and hasn't been properly repaired / reset since...

Or it could have a dud battery. Half of the vans where I worked had the airbag warning light on for this reason.

I know I know, I'm not that lucky Smile

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
My understanding was MOT sort of localish, if it fails drive it to a sort of localish garage, but if the rules can be bent Thinking

Nope - as long as it's not in dangerous condition then you could drive to a prebooked MOT hundreds of miles away. Presumably that's not the spirit of the law, but when did they ever care about that vs the letter of the law!

If it then fails you can drive it to a place of repair (e.g. home) as long as it's not been deemed to dangerous to do so by the tester.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want that car whatever it is anyway. You want one with no air bag fitted and probably alot less complication too. Wink

If my garage was empty, I'd quite fancy an early TVR Cerbera with a non rotten chassis, for the above reason.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dealers just shunt out part exes unless they are something special.

The amount that come through our local auctions with 'Dealer name' Part Exchange stickers on them (as though that makes them more desirable Rolling Eyes ) is ridiculous. Probably more dealer part exes than private.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airbag light on is a fail but airbag light not working is not. Remove/cover/disconnect the bulb/led and it'll sail through.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3