Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dog snapped at us for the first time

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:49 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Yeah dogs only kill around 25,000 people per yer, nothing to worry about.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Islander wrote:
Pjay is talking out of his arse. Working breeds are fine as pets and most springers are bred as pets not as working dogs.

Yeah dogs only kill around 25,000 people per yer, nothing to worry about.

Source?

I call bullshit and further arse talk unless you're including worldwide figures and even then I'm doubtful. It's certainly nowhere near that in the UK.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Dog snapped at us for the first time Reply with quote

What I'm saying is that a vet will have likely studied some form of animal behaviour or animal psychology as part of becoming a vet, and their daily interactions with animals would give them a better understanding of animal behaviour then some random bloke who once saw his parents shout at their dog.

Quote:
If you study veterinary science, you will cover many of the same topics found on a medical degree, but with a focus on animals instead of humans. Course modules may include anatomy, animal behavior, animal husbandry, cell biology, nutrition, physiology, genetics, epidemiology, pharmacology, infectious diseases, pathology, parasitology and public health. You may also have the opportunity to study veterinary science modules which are less scientific but all part of the preparation for veterinary careers, including communication skills, law and ethics, business management and others.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:31 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Dog snapped at us for the first time Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
You however believe vets know all about how animals think, which is about as valid as saying all RAF personnel can fly planes because they work with them.

I bet stinkwheel knows how many quarter turns there are in a circle.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:38 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I call bullshit and further arse talk unless you're including worldwide figures and even then I'm doubtful. It's certainly nowhere near that in the UK.

Dogs kill 25,000 people each, per year.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Islander wrote:

Dogs kill 25,000 people each, per year.

I thought mine were getting a bit porky Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Dog snapped at us for the first time Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
You however believe vets know all about how animals think, which is about as valid as saying all RAF personnel can fly planes because they work with them.

I bet stinkwheel knows how many quarter turns there are in a circle.

Oh that brings back memories Laughing Laughing Laughing

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:08 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a 3 second google I found this -Dogs

Man's best friend is also the mammal most likely to kill him. Of the roughly 25,000 people killed by dogs each year, the majority die from rabies.

Over 90 percent of rabies infections in humans worldwide are caused by dog bites, though that number is much lower in the west where rabies has been well contained in canine populations and skunks and bats are more likely than dogs to infect people.

While it is very rare for someone in North America or Western Europe to die of rabies, an estimated 20,000 people die in India each year from the disease due primarily to the prevalence of stray dogs.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

base wrote:
after a 3 second google I found this -Dogs

Man's best friend is also the mammal most likely to kill him. Of the roughly 25,000 people killed by dogs each year, the majority die from rabies.

Over 90 percent of rabies infections in humans worldwide are caused by dog bites, though that number is much lower in the west where rabies has been well contained in canine populations and skunks and bats are more likely than dogs to infect people.

While it is very rare for someone in North America or Western Europe to die of rabies, an estimated 20,000 people die in India each year from the disease due primarily to the prevalence of stray dogs.

Due to the prevalence of humans without access to medical care. Would be interested in how many are killed by outright attack rather than secondary infections.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a different statistic that said there was about 30 fatal dog attacks in the US last year, out of about 4-4.5m dog bites
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-G wrote:
More often than not it's definitely the owners fault. Human stupidity goes a long way to contribute.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3871166/Neighbor-Michigan-girl-killed-dog-giving-treat.html

I've never known anyone or heard of or read an article about anyone being killed by a Yorkshire Terrier or Jack Russell, inappropriate dogs for children like the above story shows.

There was a toddler killed in the UK in the last few years by a JRT.

I still have one though, and wouldn't get rid of him for the world.
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my wires crossed, the toddler was bitten in the face, it was a x month old baby I think I remember.

Would still never get rid of mine though.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
I read a different statistic that said there was about 30 fatal dog attacks in the US last year, out of about 4-4.5m dog bites

In which case I think America should really classify dogs as terror suspects.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:33 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a significant cost to their economy, something close to 2% of their population requires hospital treatment for dog bites every year.

Anything else that caused 1 in 50 citizens to be hospitalised would have a brick taken its head, pronto.

It's entirely down to the owners, and nothing to do with the popularity of pit bulls, because only positive breed characteristics are real.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-G wrote:
I've just Googled JRT human killings and found 2 stories both pertaining to new borns.

Wow, who'd of thought it.

I did, about 2 pages back.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/30836/jack-russell-tops-cops-list-of-dogs-most-likely-to-bite-humans/

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:13 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

base wrote:
20,000 people die in India each year from the disease due primarily to the prevalence of stray dogs.

That's almost like you're saying the expertly quoted 25,000 killings by dogs is an irrelevant load of shit, so far as a snappy spaniel in GB is concerned.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Dave-G wrote:
I've just Googled JRT human killings and found 2 stories both pertaining to new borns.

Wow, who'd of thought it.

I did, about 2 pages back.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/30836/jack-russell-tops-cops-list-of-dogs-most-likely-to-bite-humans/

Bite and kill are not the same.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
base wrote:
20,000 people die in India each year from the disease due primarily to the prevalence of stray dogs.

That's almost like you're saying the expertly quoted 25,000 killings by dogs is an irrelevant load of shit, so far as a snappy spaniel in GB is concerned.

What, you mean that the majority were killed by rabies rather than directly by dogs? Who'da thunk it... Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

So I guess dogs normally kill by poisoning their victims? Or do they stab them?

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:08 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

So I guess dogs normally kill by poisoning their victims? Or do they stab them?

In Korea, food poisoning is probably on the list - possibly also in some parts of Birmingham

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:16 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did receive training in animal behaviour at college.

Nowhere near enough in my oppinion to equip me to deal with the variety of behavioural problems I'm expected to deal with as part of my job so I have to keep myself up to date on the subject.

I haven't gone into detail because it's usually a very individual problem that needs individual training. I tend to give advice on simple problems and referr more complex ones to an expert whos techniques I agree with and respect and who has more time to spend with the owners than I do.

Dog training gets very emotive because people have their own views and agendas. One thing that's accepted by the vast majority of practitioners though is the principle of positive reinforcement for good behaviour and ignoring or distracting from bad. I personally also support a time-out if this is the means of avoiding positively reinforcing a bad behaviour (so for example a dog which barks/jumps up incessantly to stop its owner talking to someone else, the dog gets its reward if the conversation is stopped and the dog has its owners attention, even if it's being told it's a bad dog. I often advise both parties flounce out of the room in disgust, leaving the dog there by itself with no reward obtained).

Again a personal and contentious one is I coinsider deviating from this into carefully supervised negative reinforcement for two things: 1) Chasing sheep. 2) Chasing cars.

So yes, I do know what I'm, on about, although perhaps not as much as I'd like to. No it's not the only way and no, I'm not going into more detail because it needs a highly detailed history, possibly a home visit, commitment to a training plan and follow up to fix this problem.

If OP is prepared to travel a bit, I can highly recommend Carrie Evans who has a business called Pet Behaviour Referrals up in Cleaveland.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:05 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I did receive training in animal behaviour at college.

Me too. Arf! Arf!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4