Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extending my wifi network

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Extending my wifi network Reply with quote

Having had trouble for years with dead wifi zones in my house (it's quite big, and has really thick stone walls) I added a couple of those gizmos which transmit internet over the power cables. I bought a TP-Link wifi extender (model TL-WPA4220) and after months of grief finally got it working well (it seems the main issue was faulty firmware, and worked OK once I updated that).

So for several months I've had things set up with two completely separate wifi networks in the house, and my devices choose the strongest signal to log in to. That works OK, but is a bit clunky, and would be much better if it was configured to use the same wifi network throughout the house, which I'm sure should be possible?

Can anyone advise what I need to do to achieve that, without screwing up my current system again. Concerned about interference between the two transmitters, and isn'tt there something about reducing the wifi speed if you double them up? In case it's relevant, my main wifi router is a VirginMedia Superhub 2

Thanks

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKY Q uses each mini box as a wifi hotspot for your main wifi - so it is possible.

Have you tried a wifi extender rather than the Dlan ones?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Superhub2 hopelessly unreliable unless i ran it in Modem mode and used my own cable router with WIFI running on that.

Been using 4 x TPlink WA855RE for WIFI extending and it works well as one seamless network.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Been using 4 x TPlink WA855RE for WIFI extending and it works well as one seamless network.

Thanks - so how do I set that up? Is it simply a case of setting the SSID of the second network to be the same? What about channel number - same or different?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to make sure you use the correct passwords and select the right Mac address to get it working but it's reasonably self explanatory. Argos were doing them in pairs for a good price.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP-LINK TL-WA850RE and similar are great.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
You have to make sure you use the correct passwords and select the right Mac address to get it working but it's reasonably self explanatory. Argos were doing them in pairs for a good price.

Yes sure, but I've already got the units though, and they are both already logged in and working; just on separate networks?

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the ASUS RP-AC52.

Speeds arent amazing (fast enough to stream media though) and 5GHz is kind of pointless unless you place it really close to the main router which kind of defeats the object but using the 2.4GHz signal the distance it reaches is great.

I've got one in my utility room which is 3 walls and 20ft away from my router and it's practically full signal and using my kindle fire (which has pretty weak wifi as it is) in the garage which is another 20ft away and another 3 walls I get 2 out of 3 bars on the old wifi indicator and can stream iplayer / plex etc no problem. Speedtest is pulling 20-25 or so mbps of my 40mbps connection.

So my kindle is 6 brick walls and at least 10 metres away from my router and I can stream homes under the hammer instantly. Winner! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Yes sure, but I've already got the units though, and they are both already logged in and working; just on separate networks?

All i did was use the included software to set them up as extending the same WIFI network.

Just make sure you set them both to talk to the mac address of the thing that is providing the master WIFI signal.

For me that's easy as my router is right in the middle of the house and i use these to extend the range to the furthest points of it.

edit: And if you feck it up - just start again Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
All i did was use the included software to set them up as extending the same WIFI network.

Just make sure you set them both to talk to the mac address of the thing that is providing the master WIFI signal.

Thanks. Does it affect the network speed? I've been reading that adding an extender halves it... have you found that to be the case?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno .... all I use Wi-Fi for is web n facebook. Everything that needs bandwidth is wired.

Signal strength is superb through the whole house and garages / front and rear garden

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extender will half the speed as it's got to receive signal, send it on, receive from client and then hand it back - double the traffic = half the speed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that without it ... there is no signal and therefore no speed - it's a moot point for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1