Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

opinions on 'mutt' motorcycles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

josh95
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:18 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: opinions on 'mutt' motorcycles Reply with quote

So a relatively recent manufacturer has popped up, 'mutt' motorcycles. They seem to build 'custom' 125's built using Chinese parts for double the price of the Chinese bike they took them off?

I think the bikes actually look quite nice, but do you think the extra price tag is just for the badge and the 'made in the UK' thing. or do you think they are genuinely worth the premium cost compared to their Chinese counter parts?

https://www.muttmotorcycles.com/

here is a VERY similar lexmoto for half the price:
https://www.lexmoto.co.uk/XF125R.php

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:51 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, apparently you can't ask that as they don't want us to give you any information which will inform or influence you.

"You agree that you will not refer to or attribute any information to Mutt or its licensors in any public medium (eg press release, websites) for advertising or promotional purposes, or for the purpose of informing or influencing any third party"

"You may not otherwise reproduce, modify, distribute, transmit, post, or disclose the Site Content without Mutt Motorcycles prior written consent"

Oh dear. Laughing

josh95
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:55 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats just trademark and copy right stuff, youre obviously allowed to talk about their bikes lol this isnt communist north korea

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:05 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You agree that you will not refer to Mutt in any public medium (eg websites) for the purpose of informing or influencing any third party"

Wink

I'd go for the lexmoto at half the price. Mutt motorcycles aren't really built in the UK, at best they're assembled and slightly butchered in the UK.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:21 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutt may be moot unless they can scam their way past Euro4 as a small volume "manufacturer".

There's a Mongrel (I think) that parks up near me, owned by an old(er) chap. It looks nice enough, and it does appear that they've put some parts and time into it: single dial, idiotic cut down mudguard, small rear light, flattish bars. There may be non-joke brand tyres on it too, I don't recall.

But no, I don't think it justifies the premium over the Lexmoto. There's maybe £100 of parts on in it, £250 tops even if they've changed the rubber. Paying an extra grand on top of to keep your hands clean just in order to get a "production custom", bike, no thanks - it's Hipster Tax.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being sued..... Laughing

Quote:
The first special difference on the Mutt is our wheels, a lot of classic styled 125's run a 16" rear wheel with modern road tyres - o.k for a little commuter but not suitable for mud plugging, curb jumping and hacking through city traffic. 'The Mutt' runs an 18” front and back which lifts and lightens the bike

So bigger is lighter then..... Is that like RainPal is real Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:17 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
mud plugging, curb jumping

Such rebel, very free spirit.

If you're that outlaw, why limit yourself to a 125 with L plates? Just Fireblade, no plates, breaking tha law.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankly they all look the same .. take it they are all re-branded summit else Question

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We began working with various manufacturers in the Far East to source and develop the correct donor machine. The one we plumped for uses a version of the bullet proof Suzuki GN 125 made by a Suzuki partner which is in itself a perfect starting point. This base machine has a number of Mutt specific modifications to give it that classic custom look with spoked wheels, rear drum brake, a stylish British inspired tank and a classic twin shock frame shape.

Is that a true statement or very tongue in cheek?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take that at face value. Note that they're not claiming that zed partner actually makes engines for Suzuki, it could be the staples for the seat cover.

josh95
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:08 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also a similar company https://bullitmotorcycles.com/

however they seem to have just taken the lexmoto and sell it as their own completely lol. must be some kind of trade deal going on

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the mutt mongrel (£2750) looks like a retro pimped Lexmoto Valiant (£ 1499)

Mmmmmmmmm....... nah!
They don't look bad I spose but it's
Still a 125 Valiant under the cover, why bother?
An unkind person might say its turd polishing
the hipster crowd may buy them though.

Weeny little form over function front mudguard too,
fuckin hate that !
don't they ever go out in the rain?

As for the 'you cant talk about us'

OK wont.
shant.
promise.

oops!
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:23 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"this stylish little number is hand finished in glamorous Birmingham, U.K."

No.
It's not.
I've been to Birmingham. I have family from Birmingham.
If there's one thing Birmingham isn't, it's "glamorous".
There's nothing going remotely glamorous about the view over West Bromwich from a travel lodge window.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:27 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
How do you know the parts are chinese?

Cos you'll need another one in half an hour!

not even going to start on the rest of your post...................... Doh!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh95 wrote:
there is also a similar company https://bullitmotorcycles.com/

And Herald. And AJS (see the Cadwell). All trying to jump on the hipster bandwagon before the wheels come off.

josh95 wrote:
however they seem to have just taken the lexmoto and sell it as their own completely lol. must be some kind of trade deal going on

The "Lexmoto" will be a Zongshen or Lifan or a Whang Dong with a Lexmoto badge on it. The original manufacturer will be happy to rebadge and sell it to anyone who asks.

The only Chinese importer who ever claimed to be single-marque was Sinnis, who reckoned they were a brand of Jinan Qingqi, but I don't believe that's true any more, if it ever was.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The only Chinese importer who ever claimed to be single-marque was Sinnis, who reckoned they were a brand of Jinan Qingqi, but I don't believe that's true any more, if it ever was.

Mike from Sinnis said on here they have Jianshe bikes / peds.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it about Chinese bike manufacturers that non want to sell their own bikes. Sinnis use Jianshe and others. WK are CFMoto (I think) and others. Lexmoto I have no idea where they get their bikes from but they sell enough to get in the top ten here each month.

Then there are all the other 'brands' Roger mentioned which are just rebranded various makes.

Do any Chines manufacturers market their own bikes a la, Honda, BMW, etc. etc.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:45 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
What is it about Chinese bike manufacturers that non want to sell their own bikes. Sinnis use Jianshe and others. WK are CFMoto (I think) and others. Lexmoto I have no idea where they get their bikes from but they sell enough to get in the top ten here each month.

Then there are all the other 'brands' Roger mentioned which are just rebranded various makes.

Do any Chines manufacturers market their own bikes a la, Honda, BMW, etc. etc.

They do in Asia, but breaking the Western market was done by importers, as no dealers were willing to either sell them or service them, it is a problem still today.

Worth remembering that it started with the "bike in a box" that you assembled at home, with just a parts guarantee if the bike sold in sufficient numbers, otherwise you were going to be left in the cold, still a risk for those that buy Chinese. Rogerborg has a blog about the whole thing https://bikeinabox.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/unboxing-day.html He paid the princely sum of £550 for a Huoniao that Lexmoto later on sold as the Vixen for £849.99

Zongshen was recently in Barcelona with their own stand and the RX1 as flagship, but they still depend on those importers that has been successful and developed a good dealership infrastructure.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
What is it about Chinese bike manufacturers that non want to sell their own bikes.

Reputation precedes them. Do you think the natives of each country would buy a bike called Xingishisyabfhsbf 125RRFR, or good ole sounding British Mutt or French Mash?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
... although we made the first ever bike (I think)....

Nope. Daimler, Germany.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Reitwagen

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
There's nothing going remotely glamorous about the view over West Bromwich from a travel lodge window.....

I'd say that was seedy if not sordid, depending on whether you can see the club next door.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Birmingham - in fact I'm there now. Had a great night out last night, no trouble at all, good restaurant nice bars. Don't see a problem with it personally.

The city centre has a lot of nice period buildings too.

Now if we were talking Leeds, I'd have something negative to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the general consensus is its all form over function and your better off with a YBR125?

They look kinda nice, far too hipster for me, but a friend of mine that wants to get a 125 for around London is thinking of one for her first bike and she would look great on it... I'm thinking parts and serving would be a bit of a pain even if you could justify the initial layout?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:00 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts shouldn't be too bad. It's the common Suzuki copy-engine, and most of the cycle parts and controls are going to be universal. You may have to figure out the appropriate 'base' bike though.

But no, I don't think they justify the premium price.

If she really, really wants to go full hipster, and has money to burn, then I really, really would suggest getting a Lexmoto Valiant (should be a few pre-reg ones kicking around) for ~£1250 less. Maybe change the rubber if it comes with ditchfinders, although I was actually OK with the joke brand Manlung tyres on my fake-away.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2