Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First long haul flight

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: First long haul flight Reply with quote

Apart from greeting a friend named Jack at the top of my lungs mid flight..... what do I need to know?

At 43 years and 6 months old I'm finally getting my first holiday and I am shitting myself to be honest, I've done a few flights in the UK (Bristol to Glasgow and Bristol to Dublin), they were all white knuckle flights... and they were less than an hour each.

I'm going from Glasgow to France to Boston to North Carolina..... my flight prep movies is stuff like Alive, Final Destination.... any other plane disaster movie that's recommended.

Stuff I need to know:
If I buy an unlocked phone in the UK can I put a US sim in there?
Can I take a power bank on the plane... if I'm sitting listening to music the whole way?
What can I include in my hand luggage, since I've been told I might need to play for my bags.

Any other advice...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give in to the temptation to get pissed.
There truly is nothing worse than a jet lag hangover.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I'm Scottish, there's no such thing as a hangover Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

go business class (or better) or not at all

that's my motto for long haul flights

well, it's more of an aspiration

okay, I went business class once and never stopped going on about it

don't like long haul, I'm 6'2" Crying or Very sad

RPM
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:53 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Check the phone specs to see if it will work in USA (Quad band etc)

Whether you can take a power bank on board in hand luggage will depend on the airline rules, I took mine from Heathrow to Bali with Garuda without any problems.

Look at the airline website, they usually give you the baggage weight allowance for checked in bags and hand luggage.
They also tell you what the cost will be per kg for overweight baggage.

Take anything in your hand luggage that you really value, money, phones, tablets, laptop etc. Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:26 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

In addition to avoiding alcohol, prior to and during the flight, stick to water and orange juice on the flight. Staying hydrated is the key to not only a comfortable flight but also not feeling like shit for x amount of hours/days later. Various mates of mine tend to load themselves with something called Ambien so that they sleep during the flight, I junk up nothing stronger than water - tried coffee once and it turned the flight into 9 hours of sleeplessness and total boredom!!!

Keep it simple when answering US entry officials questions - some of them are not familiar with the concept of humour! Bear in mind that they may ask you for passwords to your social media accounts, hence my phone does not have any accounts on there and I have memorised half a dozen possible passwords for my faceache account and wouldn't be surprised if any of them work, after all, who can remember the password for that type of thing? Wink

Make copies of your passport and leave one with someone you can trust in the UK, take another with you in hand luggage.

Brace yourself for 20-something Carolinian girls fawning over you, they just luurve Brit accents. Mr. Green

Who are you flying with? I always use BA direct flights because sitting in an airport waiting for another flight is my idea of hell and they have a generous baggage allowance.

Have fun. I like the Western Carolinas and spend a reasonable amount of time staying about an hour South West of Charlotte with family whenever I can.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:48 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: First long haul flight Reply with quote

andym - the bastard wrote:

I'm going from Glasgow to France to Boston to North Carolina....

Any other advice...

3 flights - likely to be a marathon with all the waiting around and potential for delays. Try to grab sleep as soon as you are on the transatlantic leg. Don't get sucked into staying awake trying to watch every free movie.

Keep your empty water bottle so you can fill it up on the plane - helps with hydration and ear clearing if that is an issue for you.

Get some of those black flight stockings and send us a photo Wink Embarassed

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:54 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mobile network are you on? Three has a feature where you use your existing tariff abroad at no extra cost, including the states. Calls/texts back to the UK are free (in your tariff), but calls to the country you're in are charged as if you were in the UK. At least I think that's how it works, the same deal applies for their pay as your go SIMs - worth picking one up.

No need to buy other SIM, your current one will just temporarily change to a USA network when you get there.

BumpingUglys
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:15 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plane will no doubt have full on film/TV/music streaming going on in the back of the seat in front of you with a surprising amount of variety. USB charging sockets are usually part of this entertainment panel.

Power dumps can, and I believe must, go in hand luggage. Don't think you'll need it for the flight though.

Take note of the hand luggage liquid allowances. Maximum 100ml in any one container, this doesn't mean 100ml left of a 500ml bottle.
Also, all toiletries to be in a 20x20cm max resealable see-through bag i.e zip-loc. Not a carrier bag or a bin liner.

Anything that looks remotely dodgy I'd consider leaving or be prepared to forfeit. Saw a guy in Dubai losing his shit when he had a stack of custom made, apparently very expensive vaping gear taken off him. Security were doing an admirable stone-face and didn't even engage, just kept on adjusting their MP5s.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BumpingUglys wrote:

Take note of the hand luggage liquid allowances. Maximum 100ml in any one container, this doesn't mean 100ml left of a 500ml bottle.
Also, all toiletries to be in a 20x20cm max resealable see-through bag i.e zip-loc. Not a carrier bag or a bin liner.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Aw01_sDQ338/VoRXg0kxZjI/AAAAAAAAF5s/Yx_MDbxychs/s1600/%2B%2B%2Bhofstetter.png

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:06 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would fly to the US again if you paid me, but it'd have to be a hefty amount. Sheep on the way to the abattoir get more room and better treatment. +1 for Septic immigration being hostile meat robots. Do not attempt banter.

Medicines in sealed containers or blister packs rather than rattling around loose.

Depending on when you're going, and therefore the temperature, a lone heterosexual male should be able to get by for 2 weeks with a carry-on bag, plus your pockets stuffed.

Walk around as much as possible on the flights. Aspirin as a talisman against DVT (better than nothing, but might be counter-indicated with your medical history). For the love of allah, don't travel to the USA without decent medical cover including repatriation expenses.

Eye mask and earplugs for both the flight and the hotel.

If you're invited to go cornholing, do not start punching throats.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise cancelling, or at least good seal ear bud headphones made a huge difference for me. Planes are noisy.

Do not sit next to a small child that keeps fidgeting and digs into your ribs countless times while you're trying to sleep. It'll really annoy you, and no matter how much you want to, you can't kill them.

As soon as you get on the plane, change time zone in your head. If your new time zone is evening, go to sleep straight away. Give yourself a head start on the time zone change.

Don't drink - although the plane is pressurised, it is at a lower pressure than sea level. Your body will not metabolise alcohol well, maybe half as efficiently.
You will get twice as drunk.
I've seen groups of lads sink a few pints before the plane, then a couple of shorts on the plane and some of them passed out. It was a short flight, one of them got aggro and was calling everyone a cunt when we landed. Plenty of children on the flight, was told to shut up so obviously started offering everyone out.
Once off the plane one of his own group decked him before reaching the baggage area and they left him there. No one else stopped to help him. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:24 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Each year Britain's airports make roughly £2 billion from shops in their terminals. Harry Wallop investigates how the airports make their money and reveals the tricks we should all be prepared for."
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/65224-001

Refer to info given by the airline as to what you can't take in hand luggage. It's easier just to buy some shower gel and toothpaste in North Carolina instead of fucking around having a maximum of however many ml of each and the container being in a clear plastic bag of an exact size.

Don't be the dickhead who makes a stupid joke when going through security / customs and ends up having lots of guns pointed at him whilst getting arrested. Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the longest stint there - 7 hours or so? That's not so long haul.

By the time you settle in, they've served a drink and snack, you'll get to watch one film and a couple of episodes of telly programme of your choice - interspersed with 'dinner' and then you're on the way down to land again.

A friend of mine does a couple of diazapam every time he gets on a plane cos nervous. Seems to help him through.

I just get on the beers at the airport and carry on the theme. But I'm a hardened traveler (total journey time on last trip home over 20 hours incllvkng 2 boats, 3 cars and 3 planes).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the jokes to security/immigration. There was an orchestra player who had a violin in a case. Straight faced immigration officer 'What's in the case?' Player 'What do you think, a fucking machine gun?' Cue player in court the next day. (Source - reality TV)

I've done many long haul flights over the years and I can say business class makes a hell of a difference, trouble is it does to your wallet as well. I was on company business so free Dance!

Have a drink if you want, but just 1 or 2. Nowadays drunkenness on a plane is almost as frowned on as carrying a bomb on.

Be prepared for security nightmares. If they take a dislike to you they will make you suffer so be polite however much you want to punch the jobsworth.

Every long haul plane will have multi entertainment. Don't bother with electronic gizmos you don't need in your hand luggage.

Your phone will be fine presuming it's anything modern. If you just want to put a yank sim in obviously will have to be unlocked or just get a PAYG phone over there.

I found the yanks really friendly. I was 6 months at Norfolk, North Virginia working in a refit yard. I think i got invited to someones house for dinner just about every day.

And the birds at Hooters were lush Wub

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:15 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave enough time to get to your gate. Don't drink beforehand. Buy water in the terminal after security and drink it on the plane. Take all of your luggage in a hand luggage sized bag - this is different for each airline so investigate and buy beforehand.

You won't be able to sleep on the plane no matter how tired you are, but you need to give it your best shot. Travelling by plane is tedious and mind numbing but if you want to go on holiday it's worth it.

I've been to the US approximately 7 times and most of those were work trips. The actual US itself is pretty boring and homogeneous apart from somewhere like Miami. Whether you go to Portland Oregon, Hartford Connecticut or San Jose California it's still all strip malls, terribly designed freeway junctions and huge intersections. There isn't much else there in all honesty. I'm surprised more Americans don't die of boredom.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:21 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Whether you go to Portland Oregon, Hartford Connecticut or San Jose California it's still all strip malls, terribly designed freeway junctions and huge intersections.

And bums. Bums everywhere. You'll trip over a bum and be face deep in more bums.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6ZtixixtdSnABLJC/giphy.gif
https://media.tenor.co/images/6117bb250a2a50929eee7f220822e2f8/raw

On the plus side, you might be able to pass for a Homeless, what with the incomprehensible accent. Idea

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flew to Australia last year, Thailand the year before, it seems USB charging points and extensive TV entertainment is the norm on long haul. Lots of movies, programs and documentaries to choose from. The food... always going to be quiet meh.
I usually try to schedule it so I stay up the first night so I can crash in the morning and by the time I arrive I've somewhat adjusted (kind of...).

That will settle me in for the 2-3 week's away. Same ball game coming back. Messed it up coming back from Thailand (although I consumed a horrendous amount of M-150 the entire time out there) and felt like I was properly dying for 3-4 days when I got back... hmmmm.

On layovers, try to find food. It will taste better and settle easier than at high altitude!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flight out to Canada last year, the movie player on the plane hadn't updated or something and as a result there
were no movies on a 10ish hour flight. Crying or Very sad British Airways later sent 30 quids worth of Amazon vouchers to everybody
on that flight as compensation. Wear shoes you can on and off easily, there isn't much room for tying laces, I swear by
velcro fastening shoes for this purpose, my feet swell a bit when flying and it's easier than sodding about with laces. Just
bought some new ones actually. Oh and pro tip, if you smell the in flight food, then you'll be getting fed soon,
so use the loo asap!! Firstly there's always a queue after the food is served and it's a also a while until it's
been cleared away again so you're stuck with your food debris on yourlap until then. Then usually it's a few women
leading the inevitable stampede for the crapper as soons as the trays are gone. Window seat is best if travelling alone
because you will have to ask strangers to get up so you can get out to use the loo but you'll be able to stay put when
they want a piss. You may get fed twice on the longest of your flights.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect the American immigration people to request that you submit to fingerprinting and an iris scan.

Definitely buy flight socks and definitely wear them, with your medical history.

About the joke-making re bombs, etc., its not just America who don't have a sense of humour. Even Glaswegan airport staff probably won't find it amusing either. Nobody does. Just assume that they all take it very seriously.

And yes, leave yourself plenty of time to get to the gate.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:41 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
if you smell the in flight food, then you'll be getting fed soon,
so use the loo asap!!

"Someone Did a Shit So Bad On a British Airways Plane That It Had to Turn Around and Come Back Again

A British Airways flight was forced to turn around and land over the weekend because somebody did a shit so bad the plane was essentially rendered useless. Imagine living your life in the knowledge that you once turded so appallingly that a 747-400 had to turn around and land. Your liquid shit brought a £360 million airplane juddering out of the sky. Imagine looking your loved ones in the face after that. Imagine hugging your mum. You couldn't. Your arsehole is essentially a terrorist."

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"Someone Did a Shit So Bad On a British Airways Plane That It Had to Turn Around and Come Back Again

A British Airways flight was forced to turn around and land over the weekend because somebody did a shit so bad the plane was essentially rendered useless. Imagine living your life in the knowledge that you once turded so appallingly that a 747-400 had to turn around and land. Your liquid shit brought a £360 million airplane juddering out of the sky. Imagine looking your loved ones in the face after that. Imagine hugging your mum. You couldn't. Your arsehole is essentially a terrorist."

I'd be so proud!

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:07 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:
What mobile network are you on? Three has a feature where you use your existing tariff abroad at no extra cost, including the states. Calls/texts back to the UK are free (in your tariff), but calls to the country you're in are charged as if you were in the UK. At least I think that's how it works, the same deal applies for their pay as your go SIMs - worth picking one up.

No need to buy other SIM, your current one will just temporarily change to a USA network when you get there.

This.
https://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/united-states

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Ste wrote:

I'd be so proud!

I'd want a badge, and a certificate of merit.
Laughing

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 07 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Go business class if at all possible. Economy is just horrible for long haul flights unless you are lucky enough to not have someone next to you.

2. Valium really helps

3. Boston is not really long haul so you won't have so many of the issues that plague the 12+ hour flights which are horrible.

4. Did I mention Valium is great?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4