First long haul flight

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
Reading this thread with interest, my longest flight to date is Gatwick to Rhodes, but I'm off to Brisbane for work at the end of April. Proper Long-Haul.

I think I may actually die of boredom or discomfort at some point on the flight!

Yeah that one sucks. Recommendation - eye drops. You'll want to sleep, but can't so you'll watch more and more telly; eyes get dry and then you're in a world of pain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, are economy seats on long flights generally more spacious than economy on short flights, or are they the same?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
Out of interest, are economy seats on long flights generally more spacious than economy on short flights, or are they the same?

Same, same, but different.

No more space, just the infotainment system in the back of the chair in front really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run in to my first technical problem, I was checking the airline(s) baggage allowance etc.

Hand luggage is to be 55x35x25(cm), mine is 55x37x20(cm), although some of the flights it says x38x Confused

Also I'm budgeting $100 per day (or $2000 in total), we will be doing a fair bit of driving around, (staying with friends/family and 1 B&B for a couple of nights), as I want to try visiting as many states as possible while I'm there.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:19 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books and magazines. I find headphones of any kind very uncomfortable for more than an hour, and you have the white noise of the engines and people in the background.

Otherwise it's no different from taking a train from Glasgow to London and back again.

If you want to shoot guns over there, go to a pawn shop. They tend to have a lot of guns and a shooting range.

RPM
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:56 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

I wouldn't worry about the hand luggage allowance, most airlines will focus more on the weight than the size.

If you are bothered....Just put a luggage strap around the bag to make it smaller.

The people that write on their websites are not the people at the check in counters, most of which have never read their companies website anyway Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hand luggage dimensions are to stop the pisstakers from china china china and sorrybossland bringing shipping
orders of god only knows what through and calling it hand luggage. If your bag is slightly oversize you'll be fine.
I use a 35litre rucksack as hand luggage when I travel.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite surprised no one has mentioned this

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation, visa waiver

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:22 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covered in threads passim, presumably andy has both flimmed and flammed them over his gangsta rap sheet.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Quite surprised no one has mentioned this

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation, visa waiver

I applied for that some time in December:

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came back from a week in New York and Washington DC.

I think most stuff has been covered so from my point of view it's a case of saying what worked for me.

1) Plan your time - I tend to wait until the plane has taken off before I start delving into the infotainment system or a book. Because you could be half an hour into your first movie before you're even airborne, and it just increases the boredom later.

2) Have a range of things to do - movies, music, book, games on your phone/iPad that can be played in airplane mode. You'll get bored quicker if you rely on one thing.

3) Stop whatever you were doing when food arrives. Again, you can while away 20/30 minutes sampling the airline "cuisine."

4) Fidget in your seat and adjust your position to prevent cramp/DVT/etc, keep your legs moving and get up for a wander about every now and again.

5) I flew United, and there was a USB port to charge my phone as well as power ports (US-plug though) to keep everything running.

6) You've got 5 hours to lose when you get there, and gain 5 hours when you return. Stay up to about 10pm (equivalent of 3am here, you'll be tired but you'll sleep better and eliminate jet lag). On the way back we had a night flight, so I dozed on the plane then stayed up all day so again I was tired at the right time for the UK. I had no jet lag.

7) Be prepared for lots of questions. In the queue for check-in at Heathrow I was approached by airport staff and interviewed... where are you going, how long for, who with, why are you going, what will you be doing when you get there, how much money do you have, etc. I was asked all this a few times during the trip, so don't get flustered, and just give simple, honest answers.

Hope that helps, enjoy! (And next time go direct, it really is far less stressful)

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he says "fidget in your seat" - what he means is "Do gentle exercises designed to prevent DVT as much as possible".

Fidgeting in the traditional sense will not make you popular with the people around you.

Example:
Many very ignorant people get on and then fully recline their seats. This means you will end up with their seat invading what very limited personal space you have. Don't be afraid to ask them to adjust it slightly more sociable position. If they get bolshy, ask the hostess to encourage them politely to do so.

And don't, of course, do the same with yours, if there is someone sitting directly behind you. We all want to be comfortable as possible, but consideration of other passengers saves a lot of hassle in the typical flight-sardines situation where we're all shoe-horned in. Sometimes you get lucky and there isn't anyone directly behind, in which case its not so bad, still annoying for the people in the row behind, but not directly impinging upon someone's personal space.

/moralfag Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:03 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
When he says "fidget in your seat" - what he means is "Do gentle exercises designed to prevent DVT as much as possible".

Fidgeting in the traditional sense will not make you popular with the people around you.

Example:
Many very ignorant people get on and then fully recline their seats. This means you will end up with their seat invading what very limited personal space you have. Don't be afraid to ask them to adjust it slightly more sociable position. If they get bolshy, ask the hostess to encourage them politely to do so.

And don't, of course, do the same with yours, if there is someone sitting directly behind you. We all want to be comfortable as possible, but consideration of other passengers saves a lot of hassle in the typical flight-sardines situation where we're all shoe-horned in. Sometimes you get lucky and there isn't anyone directly behind, in which case its not so bad, still annoying for the people in the row behind, but not directly impinging upon someone's personal space.

/moralfag Rolling Eyes

I once sat in the very back row on a flight (I forget which airline). Not only was I constantly disturbed by people going to the toilet, My TV was right in my face. Literally in my face and I struggled to get up because the seat was so close.

Never sit on a back row.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat qualified for this now.

My number one tip. Bring a big plastic bottle of water. Drink the plastic bottle of water. Go through security.

Fill it again with tap water.

That is a bit gross, so tip number too...

Bring a cup designed for hot water, and repeatedly fill it with hot water. Most coffee shops will give you hot water for free if you ask nicely.

The whole thing is a pain in the arse, but it's a means to an end.

My personal tips...

- Bring a pillow case. If you run out of space, wedge clothes in it, and it becomes your personal carry on pillow Laughing I have been carrying around a duvet I'm fond of over several countries with that trick.

- Eye masks. Yes they provide them, but do not underestimate them. They are life savers, and I now horde them.

- If your hand luggage is a bit heavy, the code word is "gadgets". They seem to allow for more weight these days, as batteries are meant to be carried on.

- Take your shoes off as soon as the bugger is in the air, so much easier to sleep (and you can use them to hold your glasses and things).

- Try to let the person in the chair next to you know some vague idea of your plan... they may be your only line of defense against some total cunt waking you up after finally dropping off, because, you know... free shit. Sometimes leaving your tray down just gives them somewhere to offload the food.

- Going on from that, it's not worth trying to sleep before the food. They will fuck your shit up. I promise you.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:44 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I once sat in the very back row on a flight (I forget which airline). Not only was I constantly disturbed by people going to the toilet, My TV was right in my face. Literally in my face and I struggled to get up because the seat was so close.

Never sit on a back row.

I've got back row seats on my outbound flight. The person in front will be informed if they want to recline their seat fully, they will have a constant kick to the back.

If they don't like it, we can always swap.

If I can't recline my seat, then they can go to hell Laughing No, I don't care about anyone else. babies should be stored in the luggage area and anyone with a cough should be denied plane entry.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the risk of serious death and injury I worry about and the mechanics of flying.

This thread has really amused me though, as some of you seem more vitally worried over tv screens and eye masks than the above.

Also I lol'd as some people are making long distance flying sound as difficult and involved as hunting for something to eat in the frozen Arctic tundra with only a penknife etc.

Im sure man faced far greater issues and problems hunting for food in inhospitable wilderness than he ever did on a boing 747, with the tricky dilemma of should he leave his table tray down or not?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:51 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
It's the risk of serious death and injury I worry about and the mechanics of flying.

This thread has really amused me though, as some of you seem more vitally worried over tv screens and eye masks than the above.

Also I lol'd as some people are making long distance flying sound as difficult and involved as hunting for something to eat in the frozen Arctic tundra with only a penknife etc.

Im sure man faced far greater issues and problems hunting for food in inhospitable wilderness than he ever did on a boing 747, with the tricky dilemma of should he leave his table tray down or not?

Flying is stupidly safe. The chance of dying in an air crash is something like 1 in 140 million. the chance of dying in a car crash is something in the region of 1 in 1000.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Flying is stupidly safe. The chance of dying in an air crash is something like 1 in 140 million. the chance of dying in a car crash is something in the region of 1 in 1000.

And we all know the most dangerous mode of travel, by far.

https://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/horse-head-mask-pilot-flying-plane-13594839551.jpg

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sit next to a monk. Very annoying people.

Before takeoff change the time on your watch(devices) to trick you into the correct timezone.

Take poor photos of the wing/window frame.

After the 8th hour has passed breathe through your mouth when entering toilets.

Do not enter toilets after the 10th hour.

Do fantasise about the Singapore Airlines stewardesses.
Do not masturbate...the monks don't approve. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Until you land in the US, then your odds drop to 1:113!!!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that. My only near crash (that I know of...) was in the US. I was on a coast to coast internal flight and the plane lost an engine. After dumping thousands of $$$ of fuel it managed to 'limp' to the nearest airport (Atlanta) on two engines only and land safely.

On landing the passengers stood up and sang the National Anthem. I found this both embarrassing and oddly moving at the same time. I can't imagine us Brits doing something like that - more like bitch, whinge and talk of compo!

Point being - even if something does go wrong there is a fair chance you will make it down in one piece.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Odd that. My only near crash (that I know of...) was in the US. I was on a coast to coast internal flight and the plane lost an engine. After dumping thousands of $$$ of fuel it managed to 'limp' to the nearest airport (Atlanta) on two engines only and land safely.

On landing the passengers stood up and sang the National Anthem. I found this both embarrassing and oddly moving at the same time. I can't imagine us Brits doing something like that - more like bitch, whinge and talk of compo!

Point being - even if something does go wrong there is a fair chance you will make it down in one piece.

That's why I like planes with more than 2 engines. When Boeing produced the 777 with only 2, I wasn't impressed when I had to fly to Dubai on one. Also the Airbus 380 Shocked

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiDSMSbVvWxEEVO7-FrGVvqlqoZi_LYxM9xGL4rmlZi4o546tS

Is that thing meant to fly Praying

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:52 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

That's why I like planes with more than 2 engines. When Boeing produced the 777 with only 2, I wasn't impressed when I had to fly to Dubai on one.

Two engines = less risk of engine failure, counter intuitively.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4