First long haul flight

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I was on a coast to coast internal flight and the plane lost an engine. After dumping thousands of $$$ of fuel it managed to 'limp' to the nearest airport (Atlanta) on two engines only and land safely.

On landing the passengers stood up and sang the National Anthem. I found this both embarrassing and oddly moving at the same time. I can't imagine us Brits doing something like that - more like bitch, whinge and talk of compo!

When one flies to Italy, Italian passengers quite often cheer as the plane lands. Now you have me wondering if they know something I don't about Italian pilots Shocked

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:43 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I thought I was at risk of death or serious injury on a flight was on an Alitalia into Rome.

https://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/list/000/511/580/527.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back we were flying back from Goa, pilot came on an said "we are going to land in Bahrain, don't be alarmed if you see emergency vehicles along side the aircraft its just a training episode"

Shocked

We stayed in Bahrain for 2 days until Monarch found a replacement C47 or what ever planes they use these days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:00 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

That's why I like planes with more than 2 engines. When Boeing produced the 777 with only 2, I wasn't impressed when I had to fly to Dubai on one.

Two engines = less risk of engine failure, counter intuitively.

Google ETOPS - they do alright with only one working....otherwise you could be up there all night Shocked

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely hope the OP isn't unlucky and in the vicinity of someones whinging brat children for hours on end.
It's enough to have me thinking about going for the emergency door release handle just to end my suffering
before falling to an icy, watery, but ultimately peaceful death. (and taking every last motherfucker on that plane with me and especially the noisy kid and its family )

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to check my flights..... and 2 have been cancelled

But it's OK they rebooked me on 1, I leave Glasgow at 11:15, arrive in Paris at 14:05, then have to time travel back to 10:20 to catch the next flight.... then have to walk from Detroit I guess as nothing has been booked from there to Raleigh

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:15 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried not to rate "Funny", failed. Sad

Sorry, my bad. Airlines and booking agents though, just... urgh. They make estate agents look like paragons of reliability and effective communication.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I sincerely hope the OP isn't unlucky and in the vicinity of someones whinging brat children for hours on end.
It's enough to have me thinking about going for the emergency door release handle just to end my suffering
before falling to an icy, watery, but ultimately peaceful death. (and taking every last motherfucker on that plane with me and especially the noisy kid and its family )

And the yanks just banned Ipads.

Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:45 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a book to read.

https://i.imgur.com/4IR1bD7.gif

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:08 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Got any source? I'm heading there in a week and nothing in le Google.

UK banning them inbound from 6 major jihadipaddy countries, but no US?

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:46 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Got any source? I'm heading there in a week and nothing in le Google.

UK banning them inbound from 6 major jihadipaddy countries, but no US?

only from some dodgy countries - should be ok as long as you are not going from one of these ten airports in eight countries:
- Queen Alia in Jordan
- Cairo International in Egypt
- Ataturk International in Turkey
- King Abudlaziz and King Khalid in Saudi Arabia
- Kuwait International in Kuwait, Mohammaed V in Morocco
- Doha International in Qatar
- Dubai international and Abu Dhabi international in the United Arab Emirates.

...and possibly Scotchland due to increased Krankie Haram activity in the Gorbals Caliphate

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipads? they don't need ipads, they have galaxy notes :kaboom:

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never own an ipad anyway so I'm fine with whoever bans them.

Anyway, after 2 days of whinging and moaning to both the airline and the travel agency.... I've had my flights changed.

I still get to Paris at the same time, then over to Boston then down to North Carolina Very Happy

Although I will be sweating right up to I board the plane in Paris

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 10:38 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts in NC ?
That's where I live, though I'm currently working away on lake Ontario in NY but I'll be driving back down Wednesday (11hours).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:
Where abouts in NC ?
That's where I live, though I'm currently working away on lake Ontario in NY but I'll be driving back down Wednesday (11hours).

Goldsboro, landing at Raleigh though.

Funnily enough I land on Wednesday around 2100.... and to say I'm shitting myself at the thought of flying now is an understatement

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy plane travel, it fascinates me. When we flew over Greenland on the way to Canada last year I was hypnotised
by the views of the snow and the ice. Stood at the back of the plane looking out of the window for a good half hour.
I never sleep on flights because I don't want to miss anything. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be marginally happier with air travel if there was no such thing as pilot error, and that the automated flight systems talked to each other better, and that the flight deck crew and the computers all worked together like a dream and trusted each other implicitly.

I'd be far happier still if the environment outside the aircraft was survivable at all times too. On a jet liner trip you might as well be going into space, as it's just as impossible for a human to breathe and their body to stay together at 43'000ft.

I loved the flying lesson I had in a piper single engine prop swinger, I imagine its like driving a Westfield compared to a huge coach, comparing it to a big floppy winged jet liner. I mean having engines that push you along with jet thrust is wrong and to someone that's never heard of aeroplanes, it must seem a pretty crap idea compared to a nice shiny prop.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 19:23 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raleigh airport is nice , pretty small so you'll get out fast.

shouldn't be too bad of a drive to Goldsboro from there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big day tomorrow Very Happy

It's going to be a long day too, up from about 5-6am (if I sleep at all), and will arrive at 2am to me.

At least I've checked in online, printed my boarding pass and got my seat numbers on all the flights (2 short parts are window seats and centre aisle seat for the long part).

Still nervous and excited though

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:18 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:

You can say that again....

..... Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4