Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone know anything about Diesel engines?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Anyone know anything about Diesel engines? Reply with quote

I'm after some help with a recent purchase the wife made. She bought a Mercedes ml270 2.7 CDC with 110k on it.

Everything was fine for a few weeks but has now developed an annoying problem which seems to be getting worse. It starts fine and revs up perfect while stood but when moving if you go past 1/3 throttle it throws out lots of whitish grey smoke. It seems to surge under load which is accompanied by a rattling from the engine. It has lost a bit of power as well. It only does this while driving so I am ruling out major engine problems.

There are no error codes logged on the ECU.

Any thoughts appreciated.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the classic oil leak down the manifold from turbo, knackering the swirl actuator is it?

Really common on the 3 litre they stuck in the Jeep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:06 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all the fluid levels, could be burning oil via the turbo

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

leaky injector?

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to be using oil at all. Normally leaky turbos make them smoke all the time don't they? Ive checked for boost leaks as well. All seems good.

I hate modern diesels.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:09 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
leaky injector?

That would give black smoke

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
leaky injector?

Starts perfect every time with no smoke. Not a hint of black smoke under acceleration. Just a huge cloud of grey/white.

No coolant loss either.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

baldy wrote:
It doesn't seem to be using oil at all. Normally leaky turbos make them smoke all the time don't they? Ive checked for boost leaks as well. All seems good.

I hate modern diesels.

Have you checked the coolant level?

arry
Super Spammer

baldy wrote:

I hate modern diesels.

It's not the oil going through the turbo and through the combustion chamber, it's a weeping of oil from the turbo intake manifold that pools and runs down onto the swirl actuator, causing all sorts of funny fuelling / running / power issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I get a boost leak first?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It just weeps oil - the weeping isn't so much the issue, it's the swirl motor that gets coated and goes tits up as a result that is.

https://www.justanswer.com/jeep/6nyqa-jeep-grand-cherokee-limited-hi-08-grand-cherokee.html

I'm in the know on this as a friend of mine had a Cherokee that was a real problem child, with the 3.0 litre CRD engine. Ended up with a quote from Jeep for £4000 to change the turbo and manifold assembly - so we used a resistor pack to fool the swirl motor and he got shot of it whilst the going was good.

As I say, not sure if the 2.7 lump is any different, or any better.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of the issues with the swirl flap motor but everything seems fine. There's no weeping from under the manifold. I'm eventually going to do the egr and swirl delete. Generally faults with the motor would show a fault code.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldy wrote:
Generally faults with the motor would show a fault code.

His one didn't. Well it didn't at first anyway, it did later on once it'd had gone totally berserk.

May not be, just a heads up as it's definitely common on an engine of the same family Smile

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leaning towards a faulty injector. I need to do a leak off test but some bugger has nicked my test kit. I've never had symptoms like this though from injector failure.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:30 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPF cycle going nuts?

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't have a dpf

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:37 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldy wrote:
Doesn't have a dpf

Fair enough. I just wanted to sound like I had a clue, really Laughing

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've googled the hell out of this and can't find anyone with the same symptoms. Nothing seems to be broken yet it won't work properly.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:43 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do swirl and EGR delete.

If problems rectify, then hey presto.

If not, check both injector and possibly the seals, unsure if related but the 2.4 and 2.5 engines had seals that went shit and you heard a decent amount of rattling.

Failing that, removes the wheels and leave it on its side on the path.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only rattles under hard acceleration over 2.5k. Injector seals are good.

chrisst2
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:44 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the turbo inter-cooler hoses?
Sounds to me like one of the hoses has a leak/split or is collapsing , white smoke and drop in power is classic sign of that sometimes accompanied by a rattle.
If not then check the injectors are actually seated and tight, although I believe if it was an injector problem you would have black/blue smoke.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:10 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible injection timing. The white smoke is too much fuel being delivered that isn't getting burned up.

If not then maybe a crack in your exhaust manifold.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like oil leak past turbo seals, pull intercooler hose and check for oil and check for play in chra. Should be none up/down, tiny bit in out isn't terminal.

Other worthwhile free checks to do are check condition of vac hoses and breather systems and one way valves.

chrisst2
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:21 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

still think you should check hoses 1st, white smoke is rarely anything to do with oil leaks or injectors, usually un-burnt fuel , hoses are a classic sign of that, takes a few minutes to take the hoses off and check.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be checking the rubber hoses from the turbo to the I tercooler the. Intercooler to I let manifold.

I've had cars where the maf sensor is after the turbo, so thinks loads of air is going to the engine. Loads leaks out perished hoses so the engine overfuels. Happens most when the boost is high.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2