Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

February 2017 new registration stats

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:14 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: February 2017 new registration stats Reply with quote

Are available.

After the pre-reg bump of December 2016 and the grind of January 2017, have they evened out?

No. No, they have not.

22% down on last year. Worse than January. 125s are down by over a third, sub-litre by 20%. Bizarrely, litre+ is up by 20% though.

All hail the conquering Qingqi QM 125 GY-2B in the Adventure Sport sector.

Honda have managed to register over 100 CB125F bikes, so either they've sneaked ABS or CBS on there quietly like, or are using up their 20% grandfathered-in allowance. They shifted a fair number of Vision 110 pov-scooters as well, contributing to their big lead in the top spot.

Yamaha have dropped precipitously and are not that far ahead of BMW who are still resolutely churning out PCP deals ahead of a fairly surprising 4th place Kawasaki.

Then it's a long tail to a new appearance by 10th place Direct Bikes, who are very unlikely to be selling anything that's actually Euro 4 compliant. DVLA apparently don't care, which is good news for the self-registering purchasers of those KITS of PARTES. When their grandfathered 20% runs out and Computer Says No, there will be tears before bedtime.

Wasn't there another Japanese marque that used to operate in the UK? Suesucky? Sozazi? Something like that? Does anyone remember them? Thinking

Last edited by Rogerborg on 10:28 - 09 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, that is shit figures.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:38 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily bad news for purchasers though, there should be plenty of pre-reg bargains kicking around.

I do feel sad for Direct Bike's victims when DVLA starts knocking back their registration applications (let alone the sorrows from owning a Direct Bike machine).

Ah! It was Suzuki I was thinking of.

They've cut their model range back a bit, I see. Buh-bye to the Bandit 1250 in all its forms, Inazuma 250 no more.

It's all sportsbikes, naked versions of them, V-Stroms and scootays now. Oh, and one cruiser, for form's sake.

The "new" V-Strom 650 costs over £500 more than an MT-07 Tracer. That's insane, even if the idea is (as always) to have SALE! SALE! SALE! stickers on it. Why would you bother haggling down just to reach the full price of a much newer, lighter, more fun alternative?

How they're still going continues to baffle me.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 09 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: February 2017 new registration stats Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Wasn't there another Japanese marque that used to operate in the UK? Suesucky? Sozazi? Something like that? Does anyone remember them? Thinking

Hmm according to this report Suzuki are doing quite well by the looks of things just not over here.

Link.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just following that link to Suzuki motorcycle india private limited,

A Hayabusa costs Rs 1,388,329 in India which converts to £17,118.50. Shocked

Remind me, which is the 3rd world country?

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:59 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem for Suzi is that they haven't had anything interesting to offer in about 20 years. I see a few Burgmans on my way into work everyday and I park next to a very pretty GSX-S1000F but I see little else.

The V strom 650 looks interesting but it's 67 Kg more than my bike weighs!

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:24 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokum wrote:
The problem for Suzi is that they haven't had anything interesting to offer in about 20 years. I see a few Burgmans on my way into work everyday and I park next to a very pretty GSX-S1000F but I see little else.

The V strom 650 looks interesting but it's 67 Kg more than my bike weighs!

Weight is only relevant when you break down & have to push up a hill.

I don't find the weight being a problem on my strom.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:

It's relevant everytime you squeeze the throttle, apply the brakes, or lean into a corner. Name me one 'fun' heavy bike?

I'll wait Smile

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:48 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Loui5D wrote:

It's relevant everytime you squeeze the throttle, apply the brakes, or lean into a corner. Name me one 'fun' heavy bike?

I'll wait Smile

What is a heavy bike then? over 200kg? or over 300kg?

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2004 I paid £6000 for my brand new GSX-R 600. It's £9000 for a new GSX-R 600 now. My wages certainly haven't increased by 1/3. It used to be throw away money but now it's serious cash. I'm not sure I see £3000 worth of extras there either. Last new bike I bought was in 2008, nearly 10 years ago now. Crying or Very sad

If I can't justify a new bike; and I always used to buy new every couple of years; I'm assuming many other people feel the same way. Hell, even used prices are starting to get too rich for my bike. Or maybe I just struggle to explain that much to the Mrs for what is to me a 'toy'.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
What is a heavy bike then? over 200kg? or over 300kg?

Seeing as most big bikes (not Suzuki's obviously Wink) come in at around ~200kg, I'd personally class stuff 220+kg as heavy.

Bikes people rave about being light (MT-07 for example) are 180kg, as is a Striple, with an MT-09 still under 190kg I believe.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:41 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
In 2004 I paid £6000 for my brand new GSX-R 600. It's £9000 for a new GSX-R 600 now. My wages certainly haven't increased by 1/3.

That'd be 50% (you can use the sum of the squares of any two sides of an isosceles triangle to calculate it).

inflation-calculator.internets reckons that £6000 @ 2004 = £8700 @ 2017.

Comparing GBP / Yen rates is left as an exercise for the reader.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley still doing well. They'll prob do really well soon with their new Street Rod 750 due in May.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Ah! It was Suzuki I was thinking of.

I think they'll see a boost when the new GSXR1000 comes out then another with the GSXR1000R.

Be mad to buy a current one with those on the horizon, bet they'll sales from Yam and Honda too as the base model is going to be cheaper than either their equivalents.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:14 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see Britain's professional motorcycling press catching up eventually. Rolling Eyes

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:59 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those Qingqi things as my first bike. Sold it eventually after many bodges to somebody who sold it on again for an xbox and a bag of weed. Two years later I saw it being ragged past me by some other chav... it's probably still going. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1