Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knocking noise under load.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Knocking noise under load. Reply with quote

My bike's making a gentle knocking which I can feel in the frame when riding slowly.

Here's some evidence I've gathered which may help with diagnosis:

1. The knocking is well-timed, as if there's some relation to the chain or wheels.
2. It only happens under load. So no problems when on its stand, and nothing when the throttle is closed.
3. It only happens after a bit of riding when the machine has warmed up a bit.

Things I've checked:

- The sprockets and all the teeth are fine.
- Chain doesn't have any tight or slack bits.
- Rear wheel is aligned.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running it on the centre stand in 1st gear? That should help you pin point whether its a chain issue or wheel issue (Or other).

That way you are off the bike and closer (not too close! Sick ) to the source of the sound.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:37 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling us the make and model of bike might help a fair bit...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Have you tried running it on the centre stand in 1st gear?

MarJay wrote:
Telling us the make and model of bike might help a fair bit...?

Tut Tut

https://i63.tinypic.com/spu3q1.png

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

You said "stand" (i read that as side stand)

Bike on Centre stand in 1st gear with bake wheel being driven by the engine would class as under load in my book?

So if the knocking is not present in this situation I would be tempted to check the front wheel.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:20 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s2.quickmeme.com/img/8a/8a4bd63b92aa20a7480e266ab2a663dbcaac4fd3ee37fd36e143696223b07264.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Rolling Eyes

You said "stand" (i read that as side stand)

Bike on Centre stand in 1st gear with bake wheel being driven by the engine would class as under load in my book?

So if the knocking is not present in this situation I would be tempted to check the front wheel.

Tut Tut

Google says: "under load - subject to a mechanical or electrical load"

Mechanical Load.

Very Happy

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain tension?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting bored now.

So have you or have you not tried it on the Centre stand with the bike running in 1st gear?

Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Chain tension?

It seems alright to me.

To be honest, it does seem like a chain issue, seeing as that's the only thing that will vary mechanically depending where the load is applied.

But I've checked it over and can't see anything Confused

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I'm getting bored now.

So have you or have you not tried it on the Centre stand with the bike running in 1st gear?

Laughing

Yes, and in every other gear, and even with the sprocket casing off so I can really see what's going on.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:47 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I'm getting bored now.

Laughing

Yes, and in every other gear, and even with the sprocket casing off so I can really see what's going on.

Stick it on the main stand, engine off, in neutral. Turn the back wheel with your hand to see if the chain has a tight/seized link - will not be obvious visually but you will feel the resistance change

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:48 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check the engine mounts are tight

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
Also, check the engine mounts are tight

I forgot one vital piece of information:

My bike recently had a full set of new tyres and brake pads, so there was a chance of this knocking sound being linked to that.

Going off your advice, I've just spotted the exhaust wasn't reconnected to the rear part of the frame after the rear wheel was put back on!

Not sure yet if that's the cause of the knocking noise, but it certainly explains the increased vibration I was getting under my right foot at high speeds!

Gonna reattach it tomorrow and see if there's any improvement.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a shop fit the back wheel spacers in on the wrong side causing simmilar issue....and I've had a link crack a sideplate causing the same thing...i rode 100 miles on the Damn thing be for spotting the problem after decreasing the whole chain off the bike!!!! The split was on an inside plate 🤔🤤🤤

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reattaching the exhaust did nothing to help the knocking noise problem Thumbs Down

I've had another look at the chain and I think actually it is getting near to replacement time.

However, I think the knocking sound is something more sinister. I've noticed it doesn't increase with speed, it increases with revs, and only under load, which to me says it's something to do with the inside of the gearbox.

Beats me what could be causing it though. Never really looked in a gearbox before.

It sometimes slips at high speed around 5000 revs so I know the gearbox has a problem anyway, but the slipping has been a constant and unchanging thing for ages. Would there be a link between that and this new knocking noise?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:51 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditionally a knock that increases with engine speed and is more pronounced under load means fucked crank bearings. Has it been run out of oil recently?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Traditionally a knock that increases with engine speed and is more pronounced under load means fucked crank bearings. Has it been run out of oil recently?

Oil is at a good level, although there seems to be a slow leak from somewhere. Hasn't ever fully run out though - not even nearly.

Crank bearings sounds like a good shout if it's a common problem. Totally new area of motorbike mechanics for me though. If it's easy to check them myself, I will.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
a knock that increases with engine speed and is more pronounced under load

Does it make a difference if there's no knocking at all when there's no load?

In neutral there's no knocking at all, regardless of how hard I rev it.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:04 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, I've only come across properly fucked crank bearings once, and it was on a lawnmower. That was just knocking in time with the engine.

Does the noise go away when you pull the clutch in?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I'm not sure, I've only come across properly fucked crank bearings once, and it was on a lawnmower. That was just knocking in time with the engine.

Does the noise go away when you pull the clutch in?

Yeah.

I should have mentioned - it seems to be in time with the revs, but the noise is only once every half a second, or thereabouts.

It only happens in gear, under load.

Also, it only happens when the bike has been running a while, so the culprit only arises when it's hot enough.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:46 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a knock at idle that goes away when you pull in the clutch, then I would look at carb balancing - if the carbs are out of balance then one cylinder is making a little more torque than the one next to it, and this shows up as clutch noise. Instead of getting smooth, even power its getting lumpy power, and this makes it shake and rumble.

If the carbs are way out of sync, or the valve clearances are different across the pots - which gives the same results - then you can get rough running. I would check the valve clearances and balance the carbs as part of routine servicing.

If the problem is any deeper, then I would just live with it until it breaks. It's a divvy, engines are cheap and no-one likes them.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem with the same bike a few years ago. The noise and vibration stopped when the split link in the chain snapped. Has it got a split link? And has it lost its o rings?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If it was a knock at idle that goes away when you pull in the clutch, then I would look at carb balancing - if the carbs are out of balance then one cylinder is making a little more torque than the one next to it, and this shows up as clutch noise. Instead of getting smooth, even power its getting lumpy power, and this makes it shake and rumble.

If the carbs are way out of sync, or the valve clearances are different across the pots - which gives the same results - then you can get rough running. I would check the valve clearances and balance the carbs as part of routine servicing.

If the problem is any deeper, then I would just live with it until it breaks. It's a divvy, engines are cheap and no-one likes them.

Stalk wrote:
Had the same problem with the same bike a few years ago. The noise and vibration stopped when the split link in the chain snapped. Has it got a split link? And has it lost its o rings?

I'm beginning to suspect it actually is the chain now.

One thing I hadn't tried was coasting in neutral. The sound is evident then too. Also I think it's more stretched than I realised in one part.

Also, I was wrong about it being in time with the revs. It's in time with the speed of the wheels. Bloody hard to analyse since it only happens in specific circumstances Laughing . Specially took note of the rev counter this time while trying to hear/feel the knocks. It's definitely not rev-related. My bad.

I'm going to replace the chain first as I think it needs doing anyway. If the problem persists, then we'll know it's A Problem.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:21 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If it was a knock at idle that goes away when you pull in the clutch, .

600 divvys come with a factory fitted clutch death rattle, apparently an easy fix. Look at[url] https://diversionclub.proboards.com [/url] although carb balance is always worth checking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2