Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another Wot Bike M8 - what do brah?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Another Wot Bike M8 - what do brah? Reply with quote

But with a twist. Tiddler style twist.

I'm not getting rid of the KTM which I only purchased about 9 months ago after asking for advice on here more like 2 years ago Laughing. I move fast Cool.

The situation I find myself in is that I'm a slightly balding, slightly fat, slightly middle aged man and biking passed me by in my earlier years apart from a good few years as a youngster on tiny scramblers across the fields (totes legit bro).

Part of me wants to get some of that youth back. Because my wife toyed with the idea of biking a few years ago I did end up with a YBR 125 at one point, which I used for a bit of commuting and I have to say, I quite enjoyed just because it was simple and carefree. I want some of that again, but in a funkier package because one wouldn't want to be seen as not cool; boy got cred to maintain innit.

So I've been looking at MSX 125's because funky teenager. I've also considered a Van Van because very hipster such cool and it could make up for my inability to grow a proper beard.

Both of those options would be fine. But other than that I'm at a bit of a loss for ideas and I'm wondering if I'm missing something; so, over to you.

Got about 2 grand for this. Resale value is a consideration but not a be all and end all.

INB4 CBR250R cos Racebike.

TL;DR - got £2k, want something small cool and funky, any reason I shouldn't buy an MSX?

Cheers

arry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ Baghira

Not for the vertically challenged but
- Cheap
- simple
- funky
- cool as feck
- cheap
- noisy
- cheap

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

F**k riding around with 10 bhp. Also have you ridden an MSX? I was ready to buy one, when I rode it I suddenly felt extremely vulnerable, it's like riding a BMX bike.

Personally with 2k I'd be looking for a DT125 SM or if you're really brave, an Aprilia MX125 Smile They'll be quicker, will probably go up in value, and might satisfy the repressed baklaf youth that's trying to escape. Both are around £1500 (ignoring fantasist pricing), so 2k should get you the one or two tidy ones that are left.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Another Wot Bike M8 - what do brah? Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I've also considered a Van Van

I think the Van Van 200 cc is available in the UK now, but not a whole load of extra power compared to the 125 (top speed is quoted as 70).

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Another Wot Bike M8 - what do brah? Reply with quote

arry wrote:
slightly fat, slightly middle aged man

I feel your pain bruv Crying or Very sad

MSX - no, just no, with a dollop of never and some not a chance sauce. Silly little bikes designed for children and girls.

Why not get a road legal crosser/supermoto type bike? At least they are a proper size.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSX because of stupidly low depreciation. Own it for a year and lose £200 in value, especially if you find one that has a ton of anodised tat, and original parts, which you can then refit, and sell all the tat on ebay.

Brand new euro4 ones with ABS are now £3300 which is going to continue to keep resale high.

I paid £2400 new for mine nearly 3 years ago, it's probably still worth £1600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:42 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSX because future classic.

100cc 2t because nothing that shoddily slung together at minimal cost should be so much fun.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:44 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a Suzuki Inazuma 250 on holiday, it was great fun. It's not much bigger than a 125 and much more usable.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

C90 - you may have to go all hipster though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear there's a CBR125R kicking around in Oxford. Dance!

arry wrote:
CBR250R cos Racebike.

Sssh, dont let ze Borg read that.

"Ninja 250r, m8." Tut Tut

Have a look at one and see what you think. I come across one parked up while on me travels and didn't think much of it but that's because I'm not 1ft 2inch. The cautious side of me says it's a lock up with hefty chain or never let out of your sight kind of bike. It's popular but easy to pick up, so that's a consideration. Applies to everything in this category though I suppose.

Still people have done some quite, with a bit of money, cool things to em.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:10 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find a Duke 390 in budget?

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Chappy 80 Thumbs Up

If you can find one

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

In Dagenham - and I'm sure we're familiar with this one although last time it didn't run so well:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/ktm-motorbikes/ktm-duke-390-reg-as-125-/1221208832

Laughing

MZ never heard of but would, but cannae find one?

Van van 200 ideal but they're too new non import to have depreciated and thus out of budget.

Various Supermotos - maybe, it's an option. I have a Supermoto of sorts already.

Inazuma I like but too dull. Needs to be quirky.

Can't do that hipster on C90.

Ninja 250 you know what I am half tempted. Roger what did you give for yours?

josh95
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:35 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a 250cc dirtbike

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:39 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fat are we talking? Visibly fat? Then surely a Suzuki Van Van or Yamaha TW.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

In Dagenham - and I'm sure we're familiar with this one although last time it didn't run so well:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/ktm-motorbikes/ktm-duke-390-reg-as-125-/1221208832

Laughing

I love it that he takes his advertisement picture in a petrol station. Laughing

Was this just before he did a runner without paying.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:17 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT125RE

Electric start can have SM or Off road style and will sell it for what you paid for it or more in a couple of years.

Just because I'm 50 and have one has nothing to do with it Wink

Know what I mean innit blud.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:32 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want quirky what about a honda ps250 ? no idea what they're like but I like the look of them👍

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
you want quirky what about a honda ps250 ? no idea what they're like but I like the look of them👍

Shocked They look like the offspring of a Honda Zoomer and Suzuki Burgman:

https://all-moto-brands.com/wp-content/uploads/parser/honda-ps250-for-sale-1.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were talking new bikes, then I can see why a bloke that wants a second, fun, silly little bike to not take themselves seriously or ride any distance on, could like an MSX or Van Van.

But if resale price is an important consideration then deliberately staying at 125cc is possibly a good move. There is no secondhand market for recent/modern 200-400cc bikes, BCF told me because of the fucked up licensing system.

MC actually makes a fair point about 10bhp, but if your not expecting speed, or ability and want to Potter round town then 10bhp can work. You wouldn't choose it for a 30mile commute, but OP knows this and has had and enjoyed a YBR.

I could enjoy 10bhp in a featherweight bike, simply because I never need to actually go anywhere, and the sort of roads I pick and seek out to ride in summer are the smallest narrowest lanes I can find. A CG125 on a tight single track twisty lane is still fun sort of, as it's not floundering on the dual carriageway then. On such roads a purposely capable bike like a WR450F supermoto would still be fun, but could even be a bit too much bike if you can't stretch it a bit.

Maintaining resale value to me means nearly new 125, or a proper classic bike that's not already climbed out of reach. Take it from me though that if you actually want to ride places and have something more useable than fixable or demands fettling and sorting niggles out, a 30year old bike isn't the answer really.

As for bikes like Roger's Ninja, well yes it's smaller and lightweight compared to a big bike, but I don't know if a fully faired 250 that's not as light or powerful as it should be, is a bike you'd want to ride just solely for fun?

To me a play bike/novelty bike needs to be either a silly legal off roader/SM or a monkey bike or scooter, or a simple laugh your cock off lightweight road bike like Chris Red's RXS. Thing is that bike like my own ends up more as a fiddling around and fettling bike as old bikes are needy and arnt often (pop key in, turn and ride any day of the week) type bikes. There's always something to fix.

The MSX should avoid that issue.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
How fat are we talking? Visibly fat?

More a touch out of shape than fatty mcfatbastard. I'm ~6ft and 14st 4 ish. Ideally I'd be 13st 4.

Resale is only marginally important, rather than overly important. If I have it two or three years and lose a third of its value then I wouldn't be too upset.

That PS250 is actually cool Laughing

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:04 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look better in the flesh I think they're cool looking bikes, at 15st 10 and 6ft I consider myself ripped I'd look well hipster on a ps250 Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:53 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ninja 250 you know what I am half tempted. Roger what did you give for yours?

£1300 @ 6 years & 4000 miles.

However, it's in Boring Black, and I had to stalk it for 6 weeks until the seller caved from his original daft price. The proper green ones are still expecting more and there seems to be some irrational Teflonian pricing hysteresis around them because they used to be at the limit of the obsolete 25kW license 4 years ago.

I'm generally reluctant to recommend bikes that I own because of Stockholm Billy Bullshit Syndrome, but I will say that I am having a blast on mine, and it's my current default ride.

There are more powerful light bikes, there are lighter low-power bikes. The 300 replacement (or the R3) would bump it up into the real do-anything capacity. It's not the bestest bike evar, you won't be banging in easy overtakes with it, and I appreciate having something bigger for long trips or when I absolutely positively got to overtake every mother fudger on the road.

But as a predominantly commuter or pop-to-the-shops bike, I'm loving it, because it's just barely enough. It's only reasonably-priced-car quick, and it needs to be abused like a Rotherham schoolgirl if you want to make progress, but it feels plucky, revving eagerly up to a 14,500 limiter that you can actually reach in the real world.

The sports-commuter position and spinny engine lets you kid on that you're Valentino Lorenzo, but the short gearing also makes 6th gear surprisingly usable at just 30mph if you're slotted into traffic. You can use all the gears, all the time, or you can rape it in second then kick-kick-kick-kick it straight up to 6th and light your pipe. I didn't expect a 250 to be that flexible.

OK, I guess I did spaff on a bit there, and I'd stress that I'm not saying Ninja-or-nothing, but it's a class that I've cheerfully rediscovered to be both usable and fun.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 10 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Can't do that hipster on C90.
Sure you can, fit brown seat, open face lid & chrome goggles, carry satchel and wear leather sandals. Job done.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger please stop now!

Your Ninja enthusiasm, has got me thinking un pure thoughts of say KDX 125 frame with Ninja 300 engine shoehorned in, sprinkled with GPX250 high compression pistons and cams?

It might be light enough then to be highly entertaining, and who doesn't want a 14000rpm supermoto? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4