Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another Wot Bike M8 - what do brah?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k will fund a lot of repairs on your KTM Wink

Last edited by ScaredyCat on 11:31 - 11 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hoarding pound coins for my grom. I must change them up soon, new pound coins are imminent. Or I'll have
a plastic tub full of useless metal come the summer.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike the newish 250,300,500 singles as they are made to shit quality.

I like the idea of the VT250, and its not many horses less than the 250rr.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:40 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
KDX 125 frame with Ninja 300 engine shoehorned in, sprinkled with GPX250 high compression pistons and cams?

It might be light enough then to be highly entertaining, and who doesn't want a 14000rpm supermoto?

Do it. Try to get the weight below 100kg.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:49 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, it's eye opening how low the mileages are on the Duke 390s up for sale.

Plus, a bunch of new-old-stock - there are still 2014 models kicking around unregistered, Suzuki stylee.

Actually, it's surprising how few they've sold, under 1000. Same paucity of R3s and Ninja 300s. Somewhat of an exclusive club.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I like the idea of the VT250, and its not many horses less than the 250rr.

Interesting looking bike, it looks like it evolved into the (uber rare) VTR 250? I've been keeping an eye out for a VTR for a while, but when they do come up for sale people want silly money.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Still hoarding pound coins for my grom. I must change them up soon, new pound coins are imminent. Or I'll have
a plastic tub full of useless metal come the summer.

Could always melt them down and make a frame out of out them?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and buy a Grom, you know it's what you want. Big modding scene around them and the are really fun. Even more fun if a few mates have them too, although that could end in a big crash.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a 350 Enfield work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Would a 350 Enfield work?

For about 30 minutes...

I still don't understand the fascination for the Grom. If I wanted to look like a fat clown on a tiny bike I'd have stayed with a 125.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:43 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why small CC and lots of revs?

Bit left field but 2k should get you an earlyish 600 Ducati monster, physically small but enough poke to make it fun. Buy one, run it for 12 months and sell it for what you paid and we all know Ducatis are cool innit brah?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted something a bit out of the ordinary, I'd go for a Yamaha SR400 and modify the bejeezus out of it.
Could make a street decent street scrambler or cafe racer.
Might be a bit over budget though.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:

Bit left field but 2k should get you an earlyish 600 Ducati monster, physically small but enough poke to make it fun. Buy one, run it for 12 months and sell it for what you paid and we all know Ducatis are cool innit brah?!

Why would a bloke that has a 1000cc V-twin, and wants a fun, small, light and simple bike also want to own a 600cc V-twin.

I've never got you people that own a big bike, and want your 2nd or third bike to also be a big or medium size bike. I'd want total opposite extremes in multiple bikes, and two different V-twins would be the last thing I'd want.

Good advice otherwise though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:38 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:

Because you get to use all the things revs.

Last time I was shopping for something to liven up the commute, I tried a CBR600F and a FZS600 before actively deciding on a 250. Doing more with less can be rewarding.

If I could only have one bike it would be 600+. I'm glad I don't have to make that compromise though.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Why would a bloke that has a 1000cc V-twin, and wants a fun, small, light and simple bike also want to own a 600cc V-twin.

I've never got you people that own a big bike, and want your 2nd or third bike to also be a big or medium size bike. I'd want total opposite extremes in multiple bikes, and two different V-twins would be the last thing I'd want.

Good advice otherwise though.

You're absolutely bob on there; it's a cracking post and does pretty much sum up where I'm going with this. BUT (big but):
Quote:
an earlyish 600 Ducati monster

Had actually come up on my radar. I've never owned a Ducati, and I do want to at some point. However, I think the only reason it had come up on my radar was the lack of anything credible to buy elsewhere that fits the bill bar an MSX which I have to say, I'm constantly in two minds about. There's a reason there's a load of 2013 bikes out there with 1500 miles on them - seemed like a great idea at the time, right?

Quote:
I'd go for a Yamaha SR400

It would be ideal TBH but they are indeed well out of budget.

I could probably stretch to £2500 and make light of the decision to do so but having another £4k+ motorcycle sitting in the garage doing less than a few thousand miles a year - I can't make the man-maths work despite how much I want to.

I am actually considering an Enfield just for the reason that I'd be able to get wifey on the back as well, unlike the MSX, and it could be used for that romantic weekend trip to the pub for Sunday lunch. Might even get a shag.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:04 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart only, I'll pass on the SR.

I'm finding:

Big bike for long trips and foul weather.
Enfield for relaxed sunny jaunts.
Ickle bike for commuter hoots.

To cover pretty much all purposes and seasons. Still want to try an MSX though, I could probably sling the pushbike out of the garage to make room.

Aside, I'm picturing you having some sort of Thai mail order missus. I don't want to be racist: I mean, Vietnamese, Laotian, it's all good.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Aside, I'm picturing you having some sort of Thai mail order missus. I don't want to be racist: I mean, Vietnamese, Laotian, it's all good.

I'm no Adam Aarons.

My wife is a Devonshire girl turned Essex bird; about as English Rose as it comes really. Think a skinny 8st 10lbs Kelly Brook but maintaining the tits.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was £1500 I'd buy it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-TU250X-CAFE-RACER-/172587009209?hash=item282efcc4b9:g:nVkAAOSwB-1Y0Tzp

Thoughts?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:57 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Think a skinny 8st 10lbs Kelly Brook but maintaining the tits.

Can't picture it, need visual AIDS.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics will not be forthcoming - unlike Adam Aarons I'll be straight with you; arrypal will spectacularly fail to deliver.

On the bike front. Need to get something on the board in the next week or so, so that when I'm back riding Post-Op the cockless wonder can still hipster out with the ladies.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:50 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been after a SRX600 for a while in a similar vein, but actually parting with the cash for one is the hard part Very Happy

The cb400ss's are nice looking but a lotta $$

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd avoid a Ducati as a 2nd, smaller fun bike. Being very Racist, but it's the old tales of them needing lots of looking after, belt swapping and complex valve adjustment for the simple bloke in a shed scenario. I'd be running over the next hill, unless it was for a main/best/pinnacle bike which to my mind would make the possible pain and expense worthwhile.

So yeah I'd replace my Fireblade with a big beasty red twin, or my KTM 990 with a Multistrada etc, but I'd not want an Italian as my cheap little scruffy guilty pleasure.

Oh and the seller of that ok looking but possibly a bit dull Suzuki 250 needs burning and horrific prolonged torture for calling it a cafe racer. The stupid bastard! It's a half hearted flat tracker but never will it be a cafe racer.

Whatever you do, don't have a go on Wot's big bored MSX, as I reckon if he got a few people to ride it, they'd be all converted into the MSX way of life and saving/hiding £££'s away to blow their load over saucy Japanese tuning kits and bling parts.

I've got to deliberately buy an old crap scooter this year, so that I don't find myself getting pulled into a Honda shop and signing up for the cult.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 18:45 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your budget was more (and you could find one) I'd be considering a Yamaha SDR200, I keep my eye out but nothing suitable shows up very often.

In reality for the budget I'd consider a Honda Bros 650. Ignore what anyone says about it being similar to an NTV/Deauville. Theyre not. The chassis is essentially an NSR 250 so you may find it a bit too small if your tall. To put it into perspective I am 5"7 on a good day and could sit with my legs slightly bent with both feet down on it.

Grips and goes round corners extremely well, the engine can feel a bit wheezy on open roads but more than good enough for every day traffic (I imagine the 400 is going to be too little with only 30-ish bhp although I've never ridden one). Find some tight corners and it will feel like a toy bike. Parts are easy to get hold of as they were mostly generic Honda parts. The engine is almost indestructible as well.

Anything from £1-1.5k could possibly get you something roadworthy and decent allowing extra money for sparkly stuff.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think I'd avoid a Ducati as a 2nd, smaller fun bike.... but it's the old tales of them needing lots of looking after, belt swapping and complex valve adjustment for the simple bloke in a shed scenario.

Takes a chimp in the shed (me) longer to drain the oil than to change the belts in a shed, once every 2 years / 12000 miles and the hardest part is getting the covers off and back on without scratching them.

Anyway, £2k.... RD125lc?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
If your budget was more (and you could find one) I'd be considering a Yamaha SDR200, I keep my eye out but nothing suitable shows up very often.

They come up but for silly money IMO. Only seen one cheap one but it was stripped for track use Confused

I'd love one as I think they'd be awesome in a city: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-SDR200-SDR-200-2-STOKE-LOOKS-THE-BUSINESS-/201744690631?hash=item2ef8ebadc7:g:Hf8AAOSw8gVX45tT
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4