Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First set of equipment advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

leepox
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:48 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: First set of equipment advice Reply with quote

Hi all, finally buying my first 125 and trying to get gear for it, really stoked Very Happy

I am looking at these two jackets at the moment, which one is better than the other?

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/RST-Tractech-Evo-Ii-1397-Jacket/19105.htm#

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/RST-1722-CPXC-Sport-Mtex-Jacket/20622.htm#

Also I have a SHOEI NXR for my lid so I just need a good pair of boots and trousers Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the RST Trachtech Evo II jacket in my collection and it's alright.

Truth is with RST most of the baseline products are all the same. Same thermal layer and same waterproof lining. Things only change, beyond visual, in the RST range with their pro stuff.

I like the fact the Trachtech has the hump but couldn't fight the feeling that I looked like a numpty on the tiddler, awaiting warmer weather to probably give it one or two uses this year.

I'd use the RST Blade for commuting all year round, if I didn't have pro stuff, and Trachtech for warmer days. Trachtech gave me the feeling it wasn't as waterproof, no proof of that mind.

RST are currently bringing in 2017 lines so keep your eye out for discounts here and there. Check out SBS (Sports bike shop) to see what's what. Try local to get sizes.

leepox
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:05 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks that's really useful advice! By the sounds of it, I will stick to the pro and maybe pull the trigger when they go on sale. But I do really like the look of the tractech Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

leepox wrote:
thanks that's really useful advice! By the sounds of it, I will stick to the pro and maybe pull the trigger when they go on sale. But I do really like the look of the tractech Smile

It already is:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_group/rst%20pro%20series%20adventure

Top four squares on page one "RST Pro Series Adventure 2."

It's clearance though so once the sizes are gone, they're gone. To find out what size you are you could use the measuring chart or try one on in a local shop. I found, because longer touring jacket, I needed to go one size down compared to the rest of the range. I'd try before buying.

RST Blade set: Jeans (£74.99) + Jacket (£97.49) = £172.48
RST Pro Adv 2: Jeans (£119.99) + Jacket (£179.99) = £297.98

While the Pro Stuff is great while starting out I'd just get a set of Blade textiles since they where my go to for a while and spend the saved cash on gloves, boots and a lid rather than putting yerself out of pocket on premium gear that has features you probably wont need.

leepox
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. Its the same price as my local shop actually. I'm gonna head there tomorrow and try em on. I might end up accidentally buying the tractech evo instead of the pro series Laughing

I've already bought my helmet because the shoei was on discount.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

leepox wrote:
Ah yes. Its the same price as my local shop actually. I'm gonna head there tomorrow and try em on. I might end up accidentally buying the tractech evo instead of the pro series Laughing

Look at them in person and see what you think. In honesty all you get for the extra cash is more features when in truth, for the most part, the Trachtech is perfectly suitable. It's just now that I've experienced the better vents, wind collar and so on I wouldn't do without. Whatever tickles your fancy and is within budget.

Extra protection on the rear in the format of a hump is better than having a space for a water bottle that I'm never going to use, go figure.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots - TCX Infinity, last for years, goretex waterproof, comfortable to ride in and walk in. Well and truely worth the money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:30 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two jackets look pretty nearly identical apart from cosmetic frippery. One thing that might be different is that the (cheaper) Tractech looks to have a larger flap behind the zip, which could make it slightly better in the wet.

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Boots - TCX Infinity, last for years, goretex waterproof, comfortable to ride in and walk in. Well and truely worth the money.

£280? Exactly the same things apply to my £35 army boots.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Yeah but you is a Scottishist person. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/107043

Because decently priced and does the job

or

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/252739

if we're being lavish and completing that racebike feel on the 125.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth humps generally don't offer any protection. Their function is purely aerodynamic and in some cases they can be detrimental to safety in a crash, especially if you end up on your back. It's a common misconception that I also believed until recently. Citation - Dr John Hinds A standard level 2 back protector is adequate. The Rev It one is cheap but quality.

Regarding TCX Infinity - I love mine but they were a good bit cheaper when I get them. Also have a set of Army GTX boots that I've had for years. Prefer the infinities on the bike. More protection, no laces to get caught in anything, don't make my feet sweat in summer. Not so great for walking in

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Yeah but you is a Scottishist person. Wink

I am the Scottlishest panda.

kraggem wrote:

Awwwww. That always gets me in the feels. Speed humps are here, but it's well worth watching the whole thing.

kraggem wrote:
Prefer the infinities on the bike. More protection, no laces to get caught in anything, don't make my feet sweat in summer.

Of course the bike boots are better, but are they 8 times better? You could treat yourself to some elastic laces and bamboo socks and still have enough left over for the required Loud Pipes (They Save Lives).

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Of course the bike boots are better, but are they 8 times better?
Well they last me about four years of daily commuting and really are completely waterproof however bad the weather. I walk about a mile and a half a day in them each commute and only retired my last pair because the soles went, so at roughly seventy quid a year they're not a bad investment.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
I walk about a mile and a half a day in them each commute and only retired my last pair because the soles went, so at roughly seventy quid a year they're not a bad investment.

Sidi adventure have replaceable soles, similar high price and goretex.
Army boots are for Harley..... and Enfield riders. Razz

My first bike gear was Kevlar jeans, an old leather jacket, and army boots. Army boots are a good shout for being warm, waterproof (treat them with nikwax or your waterproof gunk of choice) and offering reasonable protection.
Once I got some proper leathers I also got boots that went over the calves.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Of course the bike boots are better, but are they 8 times better?
Well they last me about four years of daily commuting and really are completely waterproof however bad the weather. I walk about a mile and a half a day in them each commute and only retired my last pair because the soles went, so at roughly seventy quid a year they're not a bad investment.

Oh, hai, snap. 5 1/2 years under the same conditions until the soles started to go, and even at that a blob of Shoe Goo got a few extra months out of them. I use the Gore-Tex lined ones, also totally waterproof. Steel shank, solid toe cap, all they're missing is the ankle protection. £7 a year, such prole-spec.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 18:01 - 12 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, hai, snap. 5 1/2 years under the same conditions until the soles started to go, and even at that I blob of Shoe Goo got a few extra months out of them. I use the Gore-Tex lined ones, also totally waterproof. Steel shank, solid toe cap, all they're missing is the ankle protection. £7 a year, such prole-spec.

Yeah, not really the way to go through life, is it? Shoe Goo, grunt surplus size 9s, etc. It's a way of life and a way of thinking that sort of plays with the idea of being broke, without being broke - a sort of 'folly' equivalent to digging a trench and playing Knights Templar wrapped up in flooring polyvinyl armour, or learning the lindy hop or something.

I'm converted. To the church of bike boots... Buy semi-decent black ones, and they blend in with everyone else perfectly. Plus you get gear lever leather lips, ankle and heel protection, a little reflective mirror, a nice shin pad built in, etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:04 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
Yeah, not really the way to go through life, is it?

I'm happy with the performance and have £245 extra to spend on caps and sweets and go karts.

Life-ing like a fox.

leepox
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:26 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost got tempted to buy this:
[url]
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/228881
[/url]

then i realised white is a bad idea for a daily jacket Surprised

I've just bought the tractech evo II jacket as luckily my local had one more left. I had a look at the Pro Series CPCX and it seems that only the external shoulder armor was different.

I also bought the tractech evo RST boots. All sorted:) Just need to buy a bike now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:33 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing YZF / CBR / RS4?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new rider you really ought to invest in a hi viz vest.
The ones with POLITE on them are highly regarded as they draw drivers attention to you and make them think twice
about their dreadful driving habits

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
The ones with POLITE on them are highly regarded as they draw drivers attention to you and make them think twice

That's just mean.

leepox
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

That's just mean.

funnily enough. I've got one handed over to me by my brother.

That and a cheap cam so I can record my rides

leepox
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:34 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm guessing YZF / CBR / RS4?

CBR hoppefully Smile

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Of course the bike boots are better, but are they 8 times better? You could treat yourself to some elastic laces and bamboo socks and still have enough left over for the required Loud Pipes (They Save Lives).

No probably not. I was going to say that actually but the page was being glitchy on the phone and I couldn't get any more text in :/ still don't regret the purchase though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1