Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King Tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:23 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

So technically not a new biker but I have just passed my A license recently. Here is my biking history:

Did my CBT a year ago and picked up an MT125. Then I did my A2 a couple of months later and bought a Ninja 300.

So these are my issues,

despite not being particularly old I've always had dodgy joints. I've noticed that prolongued journeys on the Ninja 300 make me really stiff and a bit uncomfortable.

Having just passed my A I'm looking to get a bigger bike now but have literally no idea what to be checking out.

I want something I can commute a couple of days a week with, and something I can go away for a weekend to France on. My girlfriend's bum needs to be comfortable for at least an hour, and I don't want to kill myself.

With my experience I'm unsure if a litre bike would be a huge step up, if something like the bmw 800gs is solid, or if I should stick with a 650/750 of some kind.

Any advise would be huuugely appreciated and would be happy to answer further questions!

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:12 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is to have a look at this website as it shows the different riding position for most bikes.

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Even if the bike you fancy is still a bit cramped you can add bar risers, lower the foot pegs, get lower/higher seats etc. Not all modifications are straightforward but it's usually possible to change a bike to suit you.

As for choice of bikes, you want something comfortable, reliable and is easy to sell on (you'll most likely end up changing bikes every year or two). If you want to tour, then a Deauville would be a good starting point or a Suzuki 1250 if you want more poke, or maybe a CBF1000. There's just so many bikes to choose from that it becomes a case of trial and error.

King Tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:45 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
First thing to do is to have a look at this website as it shows the different riding position for most bikes.

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Even if the bike you fancy is still a bit cramped you can add bar risers, lower the foot pegs, get lower/higher seats etc. Not all modifications are straightforward but it's usually possible to change a bike to suit you.

As for choice of bikes, you want something comfortable, reliable and is easy to sell on (you'll most likely end up changing bikes every year or two). If you want to tour, then a Deauville would be a good starting point or a Suzuki 1250 if you want more poke, or maybe a CBF1000. There's just so many bikes to choose from that it becomes a case of trial and error.

Ah that's hugely helpful! Will spend an evening checking this out, thanks!

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:12 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go to a bike show and sit on every bike you like the look of/have in mind as a potential bike.

Narrow it down to a couple bikes you like the feel of, then go to dealerships and book test rides for those bikes.

Buy the one that feels the best for you.

Having said that, the first two weeks of owning the R6 my hands/feet were going numb and I'd get a cramp in my hip after a couple hours.

Now I barely notice the seating position at all and it feels perfectly comfortable to me however I sit on it. Some things take a bit of getting used to and once you're used to them they're barely noticeable. Choose the funnest bike Thumbs Up

King Tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:15 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I'd say go to a bike show and sit on every bike you like the look of/have in mind as a potential bike.

Narrow it down to a couple bikes you like the feel of, then go to dealerships and book test rides for those bikes.

Buy the one that feels the best for you.

Having said that, the first two weeks of owning the R6 my hands/feet were going numb and I'd get a cramp in my hip after a couple hours.

Now I barely notice the seating position at all and it feels perfectly comfortable to me however I sit on it. Some things take a bit of getting used to and once you're used to them they're barely noticeable. Choose the funnest bike Thumbs Up

Oh, didn't even think of checking out a bike show!

Ah, see I've been riding my ninja for about 9 months and I've been progressively getting more and more uncomfortable so I think a move away from sports bikes is going to have to be the way for me sadly

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:18 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they'll let you sit on most of the bikes. I've been to MCN & Motorcycle Live shows, and at those they let you sit on pretty much everything.

I used to have a Ninja 300, shocking how upright it is in comparison to a proper sports bike.

I'd say go for a naked bike like a street triple. If I was getting an upright bike, it'd definitely be the striple.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

King Tiddles wrote:

Then I did my A2 a couple of months later and bought a Ninja 300.

So these are my issues,

despite not being particularly old!

Not being particularly old? You're just into your twenties right? If not why the A2 out of interest?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:48 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

The BMW F7/800GS is actually a decent contender for that purpose. I find my mini-Ninja more fun for a short commute, but I can't deny that the midi-GS is a decent do-anything bike. It'll commute frugally, it'll tour comfortably, and the riding position is spot on for all-day riding. I've not taken a pillion on it, but it shouldn't be a problem, there's plenty of torque there.

The downside is that it's a modern BMW so the quality is suspect, but that model has had fewer problems than most, and any bike that you buy now should be sorted. The paint will come off the sump, mind.

See also V-Strom 650 or 1000, Triumph Tiger, Versys, Tracers, all worth checking out.

King Tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

arry wrote:
King Tiddles wrote:

Then I did my A2 a couple of months later and bought a Ninja 300.

So these are my issues,

despite not being particularly old!

Not being particularly old? You're just into your twenties right? If not why the A2 out of interest?

Yup, just turned 24 but I've had joint issues despite age.

King Tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:53 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The BMW F7/800GS is actually a decent contender for that purpose. I find my mini-Ninja more fun for a short commute, but I can't deny that the midi-GS is a decent do-anything bike. It'll commute frugally, it'll tour comfortably, and the riding position is spot on for all-day riding. I've not taken a pillion on it, but it shouldn't be a problem, there's plenty of torque there.

The downside is that it's a modern BMW so the quality is suspect, but that model has had fewer problems than most, and any bike that you buy now should be sorted. The paint will come off the sump, mind.

See also V-Strom 650 or 1000, Triumph Tiger, Versys, Tracers, all worth checking out.

Oooh, I had no idea BMWs had recent issues. I always thought they were meant to be very reliable which is what appealed to me to begin with. You always here about people touring on the 1200GS models.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

King Tiddles wrote:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

What dimensions are you? If you're tall - then my KTM is a very comfortable bike to ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:50 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

King Tiddles wrote:
Oooh, I had no idea BMWs had recent issues. I always thought they were meant to be very reliable which is what appealed to me to begin with. You always here about people touring on the 1200GS models.

Recall after recall after recall. There aren't that many motorcycle reliability surveys, but BMW props up the bottom of them.

Electrical problems, poor finish, final drives lunching themselves or spraying oil, conrods not conning and the 2013 1200GS killed journo Kevin Ash with a head-shake issue that was subsequently reported by many customers but robustly denied by BMW even while they fitted a steering damper.

All that said, the 800 twins have missed most of that fun, but then they haven't sold in big numbers because everyone wants the Ewan-and-Charlie bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDM850 might be worth looking at too.

/Chris_Red

Daz1245
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try thinks like the African twin, or a v-strom and go for comfort as you know any sports bike will get uncomfortable after a couple of hours ride out

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a member of the 20 something bad back and knee club I welcome you Smile You don't have to get a touring bike unless that's what you really want, there are plenty of other upright bikes out there. Bikes like the CB650f, MT-09, XSR700 are very upright.

Also is weight a factor for you? Personally I struggle pushing a big bike around, a CBF1000 was torture and also despite not having that much forward lean still aggravated my issues.

King Tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:35 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
King Tiddles wrote:

Recall after recall after recall. There aren't that many motorcycle reliability surveys, but BMW props up the bottom of them.

Electrical problems, poor finish, final drives lunching themselves or spraying oil, conrods not conning and the 2013 1200GS killed journo Kevin Ash with a head-shake issue that was subsequently reported by many customers but robustly denied by BMW even while they fitted a steering damper.

All that said, the 800 twins have missed most of that fun, but then they haven't sold in big numbers because everyone wants the Ewan-and-Charlie bike.

I had no idea, that's actually a pretty big cause for concern... I always thought it was the Italian bikes that had the electronic issues!

King Tiddles
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:39 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

arry wrote:
King Tiddles wrote:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

What dimensions are you? If you're tall - then my KTM is a very comfortable bike to ride.

I'm a pretty broad and fairly tall (over 6ft) bloke. I'm not sure weight or height will be a huge issue but the bikes I've ridden haven't been particularly cumbersome in the MT125, Ninja 300, Suzuki 500 and 600s so I wouldnt be able to tell.

Something like an MT 09 looks a lot of fun, but still pretty uncomfy. I'm sure I could make changes though. However, theres tons of low end torque and I wouldn't know if it would be too much for me.

I'm used to riding fast cars but that's different haha

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something upright sounds like a good idea. Given you want to take a pillion I'd suggest something like

Vstrom 650 (great pillion bike, despite the smaller engine) or 1000
Tiger 800
MT09 Tracer
Versys 650/1000 (big weight difference between the two though)

Fazer 1k, bandit 12+ also worth looking at if you prefer that sort of style.

Street triple is a great bike but not really a pillion machine and has more forward lean than you might expect.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:07 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

King Tiddles wrote:
However, theres tons of low end torque and I wouldn't know if it would be too much for me.

It only goes as fast as you ask it to by twisting the throttle. You'll be fine.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:43 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an MT09. At least try one. Yes they are torquey, but they also howl as well in the upper revs.
Forgetting everything else, and just ergonomically speaking I have found it a bloody marvel.
I was cramped on my last bike, in particular my left knee and switching to an MT09 derived bike has fixed
the comfort issues I had with the er6f and the boredom issues too. Go test ride one, I call it my jet powered bmx.

Last edited by grr666 on 12:52 - 13 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

King Tiddles wrote:
Something like an MT 09 looks a lot of fun, but still pretty uncomfy. I'm sure I could make changes though. However, theres tons of low end torque and I wouldn't know if it would be too much for me.

I'm used to riding fast cars but that's different haha

Due to the incident that lead to me joining bad back club, I went from 47bhp to 110bhp 6 weeks after getting my license. Honestly the jump to 47bhp (from a 125) was more challenging Smile

You need a bit of self-control as you're halving your 0-60 time, but in real terms there isn't that much difference. I'm of the opinion once you can ride a big bike you can ride any big bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:01 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect because you rarely if ever use anything close to that peak power.

110bhp = wide open throttle at maybe 10K rpm = 70mph+ in 2nd gear.

Even the ~70hp in my GS rarely gets tapped, which is why I find a ~30hp revvy bike returns more laughs per mile.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF disapproves of your logic, Blade or GTFO!

I agree

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say an adventure bike is the way to go for you if you are not into a full blown tourer. Sports tourers are still lean forwardish bikes.

I'm an old fart with old farts issues and can't ride a sports bike for any longer than the end of the drive (if I can even get my feet on the pegs Embarassed ).

I've owned 2 adventure bikes, the Tiger 955i and the Tiger Explorer and they are the most comfortable bikes I have ever owned short of an 1800 Goldwing. The only reason I don't have one now is I really prefer full blown tourers.

There are not many bikes I regret selling. The 955i Tiger was one of them.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Bit of a pickle, old knees and iffy back. Reply with quote

King Tiddles wrote:

Are you sure it is joint issue not a missing proper gear?

The reason I am asking is 30 years ago when I was about your age I used to ride with jeans only. And I mean not motorcycle ones.

After the wind blasting my knee caps for half an hour I was completely unable to walk. So stiff and had a pain.

Fast forward today I am an old git and don't have any issues. The reason is I am using proper gear and pants that stop the wind.

About the bike - try the Yamaha MT07.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2