Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

leasing vs finance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:57 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Call me thick but I have trouble seeing how you can compare. Over what time frame are you comparing?

If I lease a car it costs me x per month for 2 years + deposit. If I buy one it costs me way more for two years, agreed.

However if I keep my new car for 15 years (perfectly reasonable I think, my C-Max is 9 years old and done 54000 miles so should be good for another 6) surely it will cost me way less than a leased car for 15 years. And at the end of 15 years I still have a car to chuck in the auctions and get a few quid back towards my next deposit.

+1

That is the rub. Many are happy to keep a car, till it starts to cost more to run than its worth.
Others seem to be happy to spend money to lease a car and change every year.... Safe in the knowledge that at the end they have nothing to show for it.

Just the same as renting over a mortgage... Karma

It's absolutely not like renting vs mortgage because a car is (exotica excluded) a depreciating asset.

Not all leases are created equal - I have already said this. Look at all deals on a type of car (super mini, hatchback, saloon, exec... whatever) and check the deals on similar vehicles to see if any jump out as a good deal... total cost over time.

That picanto deal is not good - my example of the yeti is a way better deal.

All you have to do is work out your projected costs and consider a lease - motoring comes at a cost no matter what you do therefore it's always worth considering all options. I never said lease was the only way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think leasing cars has its place, as does the modern family man or business person wanting to drive new and premium cars for business and aspirational reasons.

But leasing is not for people that are really into cars, fettling, modifying or track daying etc. Those sorts of people are in the grand scheme of vehicle owners pretty insignificant these days, but for those people it's built not bought all the way.

I'd be happy leasing a new city car, as I wouldn't be thinking about coilovers and roll cages etc. But there's no way on earth I'd lease a new hot hatchback, as buying a used one that's out of warranty and spending money on upgrades would be better option for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:15 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

It's absolutely not like renting vs mortgage because a car is (exotica excluded) a depreciating asset.
I never said lease was the only way.

It is exactly the same as renting over a mortgage.

Makes no difference if its a depreciating or appreciating asset. Fact is one you walk away with nothing the other leaves you with something.....

You are doing a dammed good impression of someone who is saying leasing is better....

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:28 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
dodsi wrote:

I never said lease was the only way.

It is exactly the same as renting over a mortgage.

Makes no difference if its a depreciating or appreciating asset. Fact is one you walk away with nothing the other leaves you with something.....

You are doing a dammed good impression of someone who is saying leasing is better....

Nope, not the same at all - it matters hugely that it's a massively depreciating asset.

All vehicles have a running cost, work out this cost over time and don't write off lease as a viable option. it's really simple.

Its all I have said all the way through.

And I repeat. I have 1 lease and 1 'banger'. Because I understand simple mathematics.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
M.C wrote:
I'd lease with one of those just add fuel deals (as insurance's still rapey for me), although you normally need a couple years NCD (they accept bike right? Smile) so you'd have to work out the savings. Also they're normally horrid base models with pathetic engines.

Normal leasing I don't understand, 5k buys you so much in the car world that's not going to be worth nothing when you come to sell it. It makes sense for fleet vehicles where depreciation's an issue, but for an individual you're throwing money away IMO.

Ok, back up your argument with actual numbers: -

Take out fuel and insurance only as these are my only additional costs.

Now for 2 years you have total cost of £7000 to spend (which is a little more than my car costs me. For everything except fuel and insurance. Breakdown, road fund licence, consumables. MOT and service must be included... map it out on a predicted mileage of 30,000 and see what the costs come to. Also work out the starting mileage of your second hand car and state of consumables (tyres and brakes etc) and time to next service due that would need to be paid for - let's assume 20k for a set of tyres but you have 5k left on the ones on it and how much those cost.

Present your findings and then make statements about whether it's money thrown away or not.

Interesting reading, often think about shit like this and why so many people lease etc.

Personally, I think all it comes down too is if you 'want' a new car and are willing to pay for one.

For example, 2015 July I was doing on average 24k miles a year, I went and bought a BMW E46 330CD Manual for £4.2k on 119,000 miles.

AA cover cost me around £80? I think.
Tax approx. £225 a year.
MOT £50 Passed no advisories
Servicing £120
Repairs, (Waterpump) £180
2 Goodyear tyres £240

So.. approx £900+ for ~18 months motoring doing 2,000 miles per month.

Real world 650+ miles per tank (63 litre tank - insane for a 12+ year old 3 litre turbo derv IMO. - Fuck your prius!)

Sold it some months back for £3.75k on over 146,000 miles so lost approx. £500 on it in 18 months.

Therefore £900 upkeep/maintenance & £500 depreciation = £1400 costs over 18 months.

Personally, I found that car hard to beat. Performance, economy, value for money including depreciation. (Real world 45-50MPG)

I don't think I'd ever lease a car unless it was something I really wanted, which most new cars I don't...

Thumbs Up

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 19:56 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, some sensible and quantified numbers, your E46 330cid looked like a nice car too! 45/50mpg - that's excellent but what sort of conditions? As that's the sort of MPG we got from our 2.2l 4 pot Civic.

Down here on the south coast there is a lot of stop start shenanigans that kill your MPG. I get around very low 20s in my 6 pot 2.5l petrol e46 but then again it doesn't do many miles really. And therefore is a very cheap car to run for me. I could save money with another 1.8 petrol Avensis but I do love the silky smooth auto BMW.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Excellent, some sensible and quantified numbers

Which again prove you're paying a stupid amount for a Skoda Smile

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Excellent, some sensible and quantified numbers,.

Compared to what ?

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:55 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
dodsi wrote:

Yep, that's a skoda that I barely even drive too - that's the kicker Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 01:27 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did similar maths to Dodsi, which is why I chose to lease.

After many years of bangers and spending a fortune on parts I wanted something a lot newer, better on fuel, and safer. That means spending around £7k on something Focus-sized.

At £7k, those cars still have a lot of depreciating to do. At 3-6 years old, they're also at the age where out-of-warranty failures can happen and be expensive. I'd rather have another banger.

So leasing, brand new car, I know what it's going to cost me for the next two years. The insurance is cheaper than my old Mondeo (I have no idea how, this car is worth 40x as much).

And yes, at the end of the two years I'm left with no car. At that point I can decide to do another lease deal, or buy a car. The same position as if I had kept the mondeo and kept buying lots of fuel and lots of parts, except I didn't know when the mondeo was going to expire.

One of the problems I came across when I was looking for a car to buy was forgetting that it's 2016. I was seeing cars on 2010 plates for ~3k and thinking that's cheap for such a new car - and then realising that the car is 7 years old.

There are cheaper ways to have a car, but I don't need a dirt cheap car any more. I rather like having a modern car, it does all sorts of clever things.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 07:18 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I did similar maths to Dodsi, which is why I chose to lease.

After many years of bangers and spending a fortune on parts I wanted something a lot newer, better on fuel, and safer. That means spending around £7k on something Focus-sized.

At £7k, those cars still have a lot of depreciating to do. At 3-6 years old, they're also at the age where out-of-warranty failures can happen and be expensive. I'd rather have another banger.

So leasing, brand new car, I know what it's going to cost me for the next two years. The insurance is cheaper than my old Mondeo (I have no idea how, this car is worth 40x as much).

And yes, at the end of the two years I'm left with no car. At that point I can decide to do another lease deal, or buy a car. The same position as if I had kept the mondeo and kept buying lots of fuel and lots of parts, except I didn't know when the mondeo was going to expire.

One of the problems I came across when I was looking for a car to buy was forgetting that it's 2016. I was seeing cars on 2010 plates for ~3k and thinking that's cheap for such a new car - and then realising that the car is 7 years old.

There are cheaper ways to have a car, but I don't need a dirt cheap car any more. I rather like having a modern car, it does all sorts of clever things.

And when you get into the subject of modern cars and our Superb does some incredibly clever things - I think I wouldn't like responsibility of the cost of some of those failures when they go wrong as the car begins to age. Radar cruise, automatic wipers/lights, adjustable steering 'feel', automatic electronic handbrake, dreaded DPF, automatic emergency braking... when all these features start to fail you would be in for some cracking bills. I can't begin to understand the complexities of the car compared to an older and simpler car.

But on the rare occasion I get in the car it is a very nice thing to have.
And as September next year rolls around I too can take a view on a new lease or buying another car depending on the deals available. Perhaps even get the Octavia VRs I wanted back when we ordered the superb.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:13 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

And as September next year rolls around I too can take a view on a new lease or buying another car depending on the deals available. Perhaps even get the Octavia VRs I wanted back when we ordered the superb.

That reminds me of the important thing with leasing - you're paying for the depreciation, not an amount based on the value of the car.

This means that my sensible hybrid with a price tag of £20k new costs me £200/month, but a £20k Alfa, DS or Abarth would cost me £450/month.

Makes me wonder if people buy those cars new for anything but company cars, or buying it outright to keep forever.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Excellent, some sensible and quantified numbers, your E46 330cid looked like a nice car too! 45/50mpg - that's excellent but what sort of conditions? As that's the sort of MPG we got from our 2.2l 4 pot Civic.

Down here on the south coast there is a lot of stop start shenanigans that kill your MPG. I get around very low 20s in my 6 pot 2.5l petrol e46 but then again it doesn't do many miles really. And therefore is a very cheap car to run for me. I could save money with another 1.8 petrol Avensis but I do love the silky smooth auto BMW.

Seriously I was amazed with the MPG I used to get from it. Granted that was with plenty of planning ahead and being a classic BMW driver all day everyday. Often went right at a roundabout and went the whole way round it to avoid a 10 minute queue that every other brain-deaded used to sit in each morning..

Generally it was a 25-35 mile a day each way commute, of which was 50/60/70 MPH on the M25 for 20+ miles and then at the end of each journey I used to sit for 20+ minutes to do less than 3 miles. Insane I saw those returns consistently! I was also doing lots of travelling up the A11 and used it to blast all over the country in. Was such a bruiser at racking the miles up.

The most I ever got from it was 704 miles (displayed 20 miles left on the OBC... but like fuck did I have the balls to risk anymore miles!) and that was from touring the country / east coast on plenty of 50MPH roads. I only ever saw that 700 miles from a tank once.

Interestingly people seem to harp on about the 320d's and their fuel economy, but in my experience all your getting is a shit load less power when you want it and a possible ~5MPG higher return. I weighed it up and wanted it to at least be a tiny bit fun so went for the 330cd, 100% the right choice IMO!

Since changing jobs and now doing about 10k a year,

My current daily is a Mk1 Mx5 1994 import 1.8, gear ratio's are awful for motorway work etc, not that it stops me haha.

Recently went up the country at 60mph and back 300 miles, then did a week of commuting 10 miles per day, I got 355 miles from 43.37 litres. Working out to 37.2 MPG.

Not bad if you ask me from a 23 year old petrol toy, I know far too many people that assume - OMFGZZZZ I needz more milezz per tanks!!111 Diesel!!!

When in reality you really need to do the maths, most people probably don't even know how to drive to return decent MPG with that thoughtpath lol. Thumbs Up

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:06 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
dodsi wrote:

It's not the 1980's anymore. Nothing wrong with a Skoda!

(I'm not a fanboi, my dd is a gen 4 Prius)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
M.C wrote:

It's not the 1980's anymore. Nothing wrong with a Skoda!

(I'm not a fanboi, my dd is a gen 4 Prius)

It's a meh eurobox, there's everything wrong with it.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Which again prove you're paying a stupid amount for a meh eurobox Very Happy

Fixed that for you Wink

Out of interest, what car do you drive?

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:47 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome to bring my choice of motor into question but it is just a slightly larger Passat in a nicer looking frock (purely based on opinion). Much more premium than the Octavia and lower range skoda range - remember this is their top car. Very quiet inside and extremely
Comfortable and ridiculously spacious car. As a 6ft 5 driver the rear seat behind me is written off as a viable seating option for anybody other than a double leg amputee - In the superb a similar sized person could sit behind me as a driver. The car is vast and can hit a genuine MPG over 65mpg whilst it won't set the world on fire it's quick enough. I'm very happy - it's a properly nice car. If you have any direct experience with the new superbs I am happy to be corrected and admit that it is an old eastern block beater.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:06 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's a nice car.

Obviously M.C isn't a fan, which is fine. It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Although I am interested to hear what choice of car he made which is obviously superior to your (as he put it) meh eurobox.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 16:44 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think MC is just disagreeing for the fun of it or just wanting a rise - same as Iooi - not that it particularly matters to me if people want to mis quote me or only read a quarter or half of what I have actually put... that's fine - sometimes it's fun to play chess with a pidgeon.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
same as Iooi - not that it particularly matters to me if people want to mis quote me or only read a quarter or half of what I have actually put... that's fine - sometimes it's fun to play chess with a pidgeon.

I'm not trying to get a rise out of you.
Just get a reasonable comparison.
Like for like not a old car against a new one. Such as the example I gave you, which you just ignored Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disagreeing cos your own maths and everybody else's proves your lease's not cheaper, as you're using a heavily depreciating Civic as an example. I don't have anything against meh euroboxes, I do paying 7k to rent one. A friend bought an S2000 for 6k, I don't understand paying a premium for an average car.

Anyway I'm sure this topic has been incredibly helpful for the OP, 3 pages of you trying to defend your choice Rolling Eyes

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:29 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still a situation of 'why won't it read'

https://ecstaticreality.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/why-wont-it-read2.png

Let's try this again, I'm not defending my decision - I am simply stating that's it's not worth writing off a lease as a viable way of running a car - contarary to the status quo here.

I never said leasing was the cheapest way of running /any/ car but it stands up well in terms of overall running and ownership of new and reasonably new cars - approved used type.

I have also stated - very early on that for all the reasons leasing is a bad idea my second car is a 'banger' which I don't expect to cost me anywhere near the under 7k total costs disregarding fuel and insurance. Believe me - I see both sides of the argument... evidence being what I own and my examples given.

Not all leases cost as much as mine, some cost more others much less and even company to company on the same vehicle the costs can differ massively. Point is - all vehicles have a cost to run over time with usage. Banger, used, approved used, nearly new and new. It's worth checking if a lease is a viable option as they are not necasarrily wasteful because you don't 'own' anything - it's just a cost over time analysis. It may add up, it may not.

I have friends that have spent thousands in a year keeping a banger going and every day running costs - they could have had a cheap lease for less money and a fixed cost and less stress along the way.

Examples here on used cars show that in those circumstances are less overall spend than my lease - I am not bringing into the fact that 'my' (read VW financial services') car is way nicer and therefore 'better' - because that is totally subjective. And I am not bringing into the mix if you get a series of failures that they could be costly. If bikertomm's E46 330cd had something big go wrong in that time it would be incredibly costly and bring those costs much nearer mine. In my position with the lease I would take it to a man what would fix it under warranty or repair it under the terms of the maintenance part of my lease - ergo no additional cost to me.

It's simple - one last time -if (cost over time for lease) =< (total running costs for other car options) then 'lease worth considering' else 'lease not worth considering'

Finally, getting back to OPs post - I predict that a lease /could/ be a cheaper way of financing the replacement car and to do the maths and compare the deals and work out the pros and cons.

I also realise it got like this too many posts ago... and normally I don't ever post this much on a subject but for whatever reason I have time on my hands and a point to prove. (Mainly wrongly)

https://gobeforegrace.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/6e28f-someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong.jpg

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example:

My other half is currently fancying a brand new MINI Cooper 5dr with a Chilli Pack. It's not my cup of tea, but horses for courses and all that. She wants a new car because warranty, no MOT to worry about etc. She does 10,000 miles a year and her car is her livelihood.

This car has a list price of £19,575.00. Looking on Drive the deal, it appears a £900 discount is available on this car if I take out MINI's 5.9% PCP. So the discount would be clawed back with the interest, so I will ignore the discount and focus on buying it cash.

So I'll go in, hand them a cheque for £19,575 and Mrs Bozzy is a happy woman. Much suckie suckie will come my way, she'll make me steak for a few weeks and the world's a better place.

In 3 years time the warranty is up and she decides she wants to sell it. Only I have to sell it because she was offered £9,730 in part exchange and nearly 10 grand in depreciation is a big hit. I tell her, you should have bought an old snotter. Her response is I do 10,000 miles a year and I don't want an old crabby car. Fair enough, she works hard and we can afford it. So I sell the car privately and draw £10,890 for it. I had to deal with a few Nigerian Princes along with a fair few anoraks kicking tyres, but still, happy days!

It has cost us £8,685 in depreciation and now she wants another new car, so I have no car to show for it! Still, I like steak and suckie suckie.

Rewind 3 years..I could have got the same car on lease, £1458 + £420 fees as an initial payment, followed by 35 payments of £162. Based 10,000 miles a year. Total price £7,548 over 3 years. I didn't need to spend much of my savings and I didn't need to sell it privately. Best of all, I still got steak and suckie suckie.

Lease is not for everyone. If you want cheap motoring, buy a £100 shed with 12 months MOT.

If you want a new car, consider lease as much as any other payment option. It's not always cheaper, but sometimes it is!

I've just saved £1,137 over 3 years by using lease instead of cash.

(***All figures inclusive of VAT. Drive the deal was checked for discount on the New MINI. Projected prices of private sale and trade in were obtained using "Auto Trader's Value My Car" using an identical 3 year old car to the one mentioned with 30k projected mileage over 3 years)

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:49 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great example - fairly put.

Bozzy wrote:

If you want a new car, consider lease as much as any other payment option. It's not always cheaper, but sometimes it is!

I have not done this yet, so I will extrapolate to an approved used car from a dealer.

My lease example is a Nissan Micra hatchback on a 3 year deal from Target car leasing. £903.69 upfront followed by £100.41 per month for 35 months and a one off £300 fee. User maintained - remember all consumables will start off brand new(!) 10k miles pa.

Total cost less consumables and fuel/insurance and servicing £ 4716.04.
£1572 per year. This might actually be cheaper than my BMW to run Shocked

Approved used version 2015 car, 5k miles is £6495.

3 years older with 35k miles £3700 is its trade in value. £2795 in depreciation alone. Leaving £1921.94 to run it over 3 years. Or £640.34 to spend each year on tax, MoT, potential failures and other running costs. Add it all up and whilst there /may/ be a saving on paper you are taking a small gamble for a not particularly significant real world saving.

That's a small dull city hatchback.

Leasing still seems not so evil on that example.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, this has turned into an epic. Laughing

Now I'm going to throw a cat into the pigeon loft and ask.....

What's the difference between PCP and leasing? Is one better than the other?

I have only ever bought vehicles with cash or a bank loan so a lot of this is new to me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5