Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

leasing vs finance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 23:17 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Jesus, this has turned into an epic. Laughing

Now I'm going to throw a cat into the pigeon loft and ask.....

What's the difference between PCP and leasing? Is one better than the other?

I have only ever bought vehicles with cash or a bank loan so a lot of this is new to me.

Yeah, I should have let this go pages ago... Crying or Very sad

PCH - what we have argued the toss over is Personal Contract Hire - or leasing. You have no option to buy at the end of the contract and pay a set amount upfront and monthly as discussed then only pay extra if you go over your contracted mileage or unacceptable damage. All these details will be set out in the lease agreement. Future values are not your issue. The car could be worth £3.47 at the end with a start price of £100,000 - it matters none to the leasee.

PCP - Personal Contract Purchase, option to buy at the end or hand back or even Vito during. Usually a deposit- often more than a lease and monthly payments with balloon payment at the end to purchase.
Often calculated on future value which may or may not be realistic - sometimes swings in your favour or other times may not. Usually contracted within mileage like a lease and Normally they build some equity into the car through payments and deposits for you to trade in the car towards a new deal. You can trade this car in anywhere as your name is on the V5 on a lease it's not - intact I don't even gave the v5 for the Skoda.

Which is better? Well to me - that depends on cost over time. I have generally found the lease deals to work out cheaper but they are more rigid in how you administer them. There may or may not be advantages to PCP depending on opinion/scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:45 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to dodsi's post:

Again, cost as well as personal circumstances come into it.

If you (Polarbear) are the sort of person who would like to buy a new car and keep it 10 years whilst spreading the cost, PCP or good old HP is the way to go over lease.

Sometimes cash customers are better with PCP. I know of one manufacturer that gives 0% PCP with £1500 towards deposit. Finance can be settled at any point.

Alternatively, if you want a new car every 3 years then a rental may or may not be cheaper than a purchase. You've got to look at all options.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I wrote a post and then didn't click post. Oh well.

Today is wine day but we'll try our best.

If you buy a brand new car (finance or cash; IMO finance is nonsense unless the rate is very low), yes, you have something 'to show for it' at the 'end'.

But then you're either driving an X year old or selling it.

The entire point of leasing is to have new cars. If you were happy with a 4 or 8 or whatever year old car you'd buy one in the first place, run it into the ground and bathe in your dollars.

Comparing a lease to a not-new car is total nonsense. It's a not-new car. My microwave off the street (serious chats) was cheaper than buying a spanker from John Lewis, cool story.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 06:53 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's totally valid to compare the cost of any method of funding, lease, finance, PCP, Cash... on any age car - work our the total projected costs over time (being realistic) and comparing the costs against each other.

If I had a banger that cost £100 but I spent £1500 per year keeping it going the Nissan micra deal I posted would be surely be a better deal for me and less stress? Extreme example and totally fictitious but you can catch my drift - some spend a lot of money on failures.

A car kept 10 years and costing 23k new and being worth £3k at the end of that term is 2k per year depreciation alone let alone every other running expense on the way - you may find it cheaper in reality to find a good lease deal or change the car more often on a PCP/Cash deal.

Having new cars on the way would be a bonus with the lease but if my cost over time was cheaper it's the headline numbers that would do the talking for me.

If you don't get the mileage in and you end up 10 years on with a car that has basically worked with minimal maintenance along the years and is low mileage and will continue to run then that could be your best option.

I genuinely have no preference for any method, our last 3 good cars were citron c1 PCP because cost was best. Honda Civic - finance - low apr and skoda leased. All my other second cars were bangers paid for in cash kept for a year and cost little on the way. If my wife wasn't doing the miles and worked more local I would probably have 2 x bangers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

A car kept 10 years and costing 23k new and being worth £3k at the end of that term is 2k per year depreciation alone let alone every other running expense on the way - you may find it cheaper in reality to find a good lease deal or change the car more often on a PCP/Cash deal.

So on this example.

Find me a 23K car That costs less than £200 a month, to lease...

YES. I know you say may or may not.... But at least show something to back your maybe up.

Yes, there are case where leasing can be better (coming to country for a couple of years and need transport)
We get a fantastic deal via work on leasing, upto 20% discount. Yet speaking to many people who have done this have all said never again. As when circumstances change. They find themselves car less, as they can no longer afford the outgoings.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 09:50 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
dodsi wrote:

So on this example.

YES. I know you say may or may not.... But at least show something to back your maybe up.

Yes, there are case where leasing can be better (coming to country for a couple of years and need transport)
We get a fantastic deal via work on leasing, upto 20% discount. Yet speaking to many people who have done this have all said never again. As when circumstances change. They find themselves car less, as they can no longer afford the outgoings.

Only if you add proper running costs to that £200 per month depreciation only cost. THEN the maths would stack up better. Using only the depreciation is not giving my example a fair run is it?

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:36 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
dodsi wrote:

Hyundai Tucson 1.6 GDI 132 Blue Drive SE Nav lists at £22,100 inclusive of metallic.

A quick Google and I've found a deal £1403.89 followed by 23 payments of £155.89. That's £207.99 effectively over 24 months. Figures are VAT inclusive.

Not quite at the target £199.99 but not far away.

*edit* sorry list price marginally out, I've adjusted it!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Comparing a lease to a not-new car is total nonsense. It's a not-new car. My microwave off the street (serious chats) was cheaper than buying a spanker from John Lewis, cool story.

This is what the original person was asking though. If you have to throw in depreciation from new (or awesome premium 100% secondhand like Dodsi's Civic Wink) then that's a different question.

I just wrote out a post going through all my service history (one previous owner from new) and then lost the post Brick Wall

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

Only if you add proper running costs to that £200 per month depreciation only cost. THEN the maths would stack up better. Using only the depreciation is not giving my example a fair run is it?

So you can't come up with a deal then?

YOU quoted the £200 figure. All i'm asking for is a link to a lease. Karma

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:56 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi, you spacker, read thread. Wub

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Yea, I saw Bozzy's post... But there is no link....

I search for the same and find This
But notice that is far more, and appears to be for 3 rentals.

But Dodsi, seems to have a problem linking to anything to back up his claims.

TBH. This is all becoming a moot point anyway. Given that OP, never actually gave any figures as to how much they were looking at.

Leasing is very much a personal choice on whether you want to keep the same car or keep swooping every 2-4 years Karma

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Yea, I saw Bozzy's post... But there is no link....

I search for the same and find This
But notice that is far more, and appears to be for 3 rentals.

But Dodsi, seems to have a problem linking to anything to back up his claims.

TBH. This is all becoming a moot point anyway. Given that OP, never actually gave any figures as to how much they were looking at.

Leasing is very much a personal choice on whether you want to keep the same car or keep swooping every 2-4 years Karma

https://www.gateway2lease.com/cars/hyundai/tucson/tucson-1.6-gdi-132-blue-drive-se-nav.php

My bad!

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 19:25 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My micra example: numbers may have changed as yesterday they were on the home page of the web page.

https://www.targetcarleasing.co.uk/manufacturers/nissan/6425/models/micra-hatchback/66160/cars/1-2-acenta-5dr/61925

Iooi - I quoted 2k per year in depreciation alone not including other running costs.

Please read correctly.

My only argument has ever been total running costs over time on a like for like basis that a lease is not necessarily a waste of money. Old, new whatever.

Fuck it, if it was cheaper to lease my shoes than own them I would.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I just wrote out a post going through all my service history (one previous owner from new) and then lost the post Brick Wall

Did it again just for you Dodsi Wink £2829 in MOT/servicing/repairs etc. at a main dealer. Road tax, currently £210 per year. Breakdown cover, autoaid at £40 a year. £5329 total for 10 years. Depreciation time, keep in mind I wouldn't buy new. 15k > 2k, but trade was 2.5k on the car and it was originally advertised for 3k. £18329...

and 13p.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 12:50 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
M.C wrote:

Did it again just for you Dodsi Wink £2829 in MOT/servicing/repairs etc. at a main dealer. Road tax, currently £210 per year. Breakdown cover, autoaid at £40 a year. £5329 total for 10 years. Depreciation time, keep in mind I wouldn't buy new. 15k > 2k, but trade was 2.5k on the car and it was originally advertised for 3k. £18329...

and 13p.

So, depending on the mileage you are doing and type of car - I make that £1830 per year. My micra example was £1572 per year. Which I built in the deposit towards that on the 3 year deal.

I'm not saying that's a compatible car (super mini for super mini or saloon for saloon etc etc):

I will leave out any argument that having new cars every few years is an advantage as my argument is about total costs over time. I have even left out things like MPG differences which really I would factor in if I was doing the cost analysis in a serious way.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wasn't that example user maintained? It is also not over a 10 year period? Also my example's the most expensive thing you can do, buy a car new then take it to a main dealer its whole life. Finally a 1.2 Micra's 8 grand OTR, this was 15k.

BTW I hate doing maths, stop making me do maths Smile

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:07 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, it was user maintained - but you would have a new car, in warranty and you begin each 3 year cycle with brand new consumables so you get the full wear. So consumables in 30K would be minimal and there is a few hundred a year difference to pay for those things.

However, that is not a like for like - and I am declaring my own example null and void in this circumstance unless its a comparable car or a car that fits the needs of the person.

My point is not that leasing is great and always the cheapest way of running a vehicle - it never has been. I am purely challenging the status quo and pointing out it's not totally a waste of money.

If I ran my BMW for 10K a year at 23mpg (taken from the car computer over last 800 miles since a reset). The fuel cost is £2369 over a year. have a car that doubles that MPG and that drops to £1184 over the year freeing up £1185 per year (£100 per month!) i could spend on a newer and more efficient car. I am sure I could lease a car cheaper if I was doing that sort of mileage in my £800 'banger'.

It's purely a total cost over time calculation.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to null the Micra example, just in the rental cost that's £15,720, for a car that costs 7 grand less. Prices for 10 year old Micra's look comparable, so you'd be losing 6-6.5k. It's half as much to tax and must be cheaper to run (Micra's are dirt cheap parts wise), but even with my figures you're looking at ~10k, and that's being extremely generous with the lease costs and disingenuous with the ownership running costs.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at this a few years ago when my commuting mileage jumped up so I was doing about 20k a year in my XJ8. Doing the salary sacrifice lease thing, i was essentially cash neutral (taking everything into account including tyres, servicing, average repair costs) been wafting around in comfort at low 20s to the gallon or sitting in a tin box shopping car that would be hell to spend several hours a day in.

I did the only sensible thing - kept the Jag and bought a motorbike!

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an interesting Khan Academy video on renting/buying houses...

Funny, the whole "but you are putting money in to something".

Yes, paying back the rent on the money you borrowed (ie interest) to the bank.

Pay rent on the house, or pay rent on the money. You still pay rent.

Could be a similar thing with cars.

Would be interesting to actually crunch the numbers and see.

One extra thing about why renting a house is often better than buying is the opportunity cost. If I could go back in time and tell younger Richard one thing, it would be "don't forget about the opportunity cost" (or rather, go look up what it is, and then never forget it).

You buy a 400k house. You put in 100k cash, you borrow the rest.

So you are paying rent on 300k (interest), and most of your payment is just going in to paying the debt on that.

But, you also have 100k of your cash sat in the house.

Now, if you rent a house, you have no interest to pay, and you still have that 100K to use for investing. If you generate 4% / interest with that, that is 4k / year.

Suddenly that 12k / year rent doesn't look so stupid. When you remove the property tax, which is probably about 1% of house value, so 4k a year as well.

But I agree, it feels like a waste of money.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ignoring the fact most people renting in that London are paying more than those with mortgages? Smile You lot must do all your shopping in Brighthouse Very Happy

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So ignoring the fact most people renting in that London are paying more than those with mortgages? Smile You lot must do all your shopping in Brighthouse Very Happy

How much is their property tax.

How much is property upkeep and insurance.

How much is their mortgage interest.

What is the % of their monthly mortgage payment that goes towards the interest, compared to how much goes towards actually paying down the principle.

What was the conveyancing fee paid to solicitors, and fees paid to estate agents.

How much money was put down as a deposit/how much equity do they have in the house, and what could they be doing with it (ie generating wealth).

I do all my shopping at charity shops. I am wearing as new Levi's wot I bought for 3 quid. It might have been a mental health related shop, so perhaps you are right Laughing

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 19:17 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point regarding home 'ownership' as when I look at my mortgage statement and projection I am paying only about £100 per month off my actual equity in my home. The difference is security and the house is normally an appreciating asset (political standpoint put to one side) and I have a good amount of equity due to spending money on my home renovating it so I think I have well more than doubled what I have totally put into the property (deposit and renovation costs). But I have never considered the amount of 'rent' I am paying in terms of mortgage interest.

The point I have been banging on about with leasing of cars is that it's not really an evil thing if you work out the total cost of ownership over the time period and the mileage that you expect to do. In my experience it is stacking up wel against running many different types of car in terms of overall cost.

There are big drawbacks with leasing compared to other methods and it is not blanket the 'best' way to run a car. You have to consider the mileage you are doing - too many and you will find it's possibly quite expensive. Too few and I would argue it's a total waste of money - for me to spend just under £3500 per year for my Mrs to pop to the shops in a big flash white car would piss me off no end. In fact I wouldn't let it happen and insist she pays for it all herself if that's what she frivolously wanted.

Then, as with anything you must shop around for the right lease deal and look at what is available at the time for what cost. If I had wandered into my local skoda showroom and taken out the same car on their straight deal I would be more than £50 per month worse off on the same car on the same terms. That's not my style and I got a price match with them on a deal I saw online with a big discounter on leases.

If you are set on a particular make and model then you may struggle to find a good deal and could end up paying a lot of money out compared to a competitors car - in my case if I was set on a Mondeo or Mazda6 these may not be as cheap as the superb or vice versa. So you need to potentially be flexible on the car you end up with.

And then there is the damage thing, if you hand it back outside of the acceptable fair wear and tear condition at the end of your term (there are industry standards which does protect the consumer) you could end up with a hefty bill.

So there are risks and downsides with the lease but for me - cost over time it works out well compared to a lot of other options. At the end of my term I will look for another deal on a car and will consider all methods of ownership over again rather than just settling for another lease 'because that's what I do'.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two final questions from me as this topic isn't really about me or my thing.

1, Put simply for someone like me to understand, what are the primary and most common reasons for people to want to always drive new cars and or say have a new one every 2years or so?

2, Regarding the buy own car and run for 10years thing. Firstly that average depreciation of 2k a year don't sit right with me as most of a vehicles depreciation happens in year 1, 3 and 5maybe. A 2year old isn't often worth massively less than a 1year old, and likewise the 3and 5yr milestones tend to wipe much more value off a vehicle than the usually negligible depreciation from years 5-10? So yeah an average 2k over 10years is one thing, but if the first few years result in say 5x the depreciation that years 6-10 experience, it's not that relevant to work it out as long-term cost.

And secondly, do people that buy a brand new vehicle and keep it for 10years, actually expect it to achieve some resale value worth having after that period? I know it's probably out of date thinking with cars now, but there used to be the old theory that if you buy and run a vehicle for 10years, its done it's thing, earned it's keep, and owes you nothing at all. If someone gives you a few quid for it after all that it's a bonus? I realise the above with today's cars could easily be rescaled to 15years or more in some cases, as cars today are built to last longer than they were in the 70's/80's, which is where the above mentality probably came from.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
M.C wrote:

How much is their property tax.

How much is property upkeep and insurance.

How much is their mortgage interest.

What is the % of their monthly mortgage payment that goes towards the interest, compared to how much goes towards actually paying down the principle.

What was the conveyancing fee paid to solicitors, and fees paid to estate agents.

How much money was put down as a deposit/how much equity do they have in the house, and what could they be doing with it (ie generating wealth).

I do all my shopping at charity shops. I am wearing as new Levi's wot I bought for 3 quid. It might have been a mental health related shop, so perhaps you are right Laughing

I'm not doing this again for houses Smile It's a hard one to quantify because it depends where and when you bought your property. At the other end of the spectrum a pal (who earns the same as me) just bought a house up north, he's paying £350p/m, £50 less than I give to the council. He could if he over-paid have that paid off in 10 years, so after that he'll be living rent free.

A work college was renting a shared house in east london, paying over £500p/m (each). The mortgage was less than that £500. The problem isn't that it's cheaper to rent, it's that both markets are completely f**ked in the south east.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5