Things to do in prison

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

What's the ratio of proper scumbags to normal people who got caught doing something illegal?

Depends where your at in the jail, I'm at the very top end of the category system so we house the proper wroung'uns, however, the jail is generally split in two, main prisoners and vulnerable prisoners.

VP's are typically your sex offenders with the odd one being ex-main and just running for cover. I'd probably say about 70% are general scumbags, about 20% are what you could call OK as far as prisoners go, and about 10% are somewhat decent people who've had a moment of madness, but you can have a somewhat decent conversation .

Dean27
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:16 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 3 months in Young Offenders and 2 years in prison. Like people have said if you want to and take chances you are given it can be a good thing and you can change things around if you want to if people give you a chance and help you.

The first few months there I didn't do too much mainly sat around watching TV, smoking, gym, hanging around with others. I got a job as a wing cleaner - you get a few pounds if you do a job. It was a pretty crap job but I preferred being busy and doing something instead of just hanging around or locked up in my cell.

I got a job in the kitchens and because I stayed out of trouble there and got put on a programme called The Clink Restaurant attached to the prison. I ended up working as a waiter there and it made a real difference as I felt more like a normal worker instead of being a prisoner. They make you realise that it is a privilege to do it so you do nothing to mess up or be taken off the programme.

Was the best thing that ever happened me and part of it was that they helped me get a job for when I was released. That's a big thing when you have a bad criminal record if you are trying to get a job.

My family and gf were really proud of me and they could see I was trying to change after what I'd been like before.

I'm out 4 years now and have a decent life and am trying to get on. I hope I never end up back in prison like other people I know. You meet all sorts of people in prison and not everybody is a scumbag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it as bad a the media make out?

I heard two very different accounts of what its like inside, one lad said it was like butlins and he spent all day playing pool and going to the gym, another said it was hell (didn't stop him going back more than once) and got a kicking nearly everyday, people getting slashed over half ounce of baccy stuff like that.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 pages in and no body, not even Ste, answered the OP's question with saying: ''Your dad.'' Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

I heard two very different accounts of what its like inside, one lad said it was like butlins and he spent all day playing pool and going to the gym, another said it was hell (didn't stop him going back more than once) and got a kicking nearly everyday, people getting slashed over half ounce of baccy stuff like that.

Worked with a lot of crims (my company likes hiring ex-cons) and it's meant to vary massively depending on where you're sent to. Also probably depends on who you're, if you're Jeffrey Archer you still get to drive your own car Rolling Eyes Anyhoo the general consensus seems to be it's getting worse, all part of the American ghetto fantasy youngins seem to want to live out. Drugs, violence, weapons, all except the shower bummings I think Laughing

Dean27
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:59 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

Suppose it depends on the prison and who is on your landing. It's not a holiday camp like the media makes out but not as bad as some people think. On TV when they are doing programmes they show all the drama and when stuff kicks off.

There are fights but that happens everywhere. Some people bring on trouble by getting involved with drugs, gambling borrowing or nicking other people's stuff. There are people who know each other from the outside and there can be shit coming from that.

People hang around with people they know like from the same place or if they have something in common. It's not a good place to be a loner but there are people you are best off not getting involved with.

Most people aren't too bad - you are all going through the same thing together so you have to make the best of it. Most people just want to do their sentence and get back out. The other thing is that there aren't that many prison officers compared to prisoners. I found most of the screws OK as long as you don't cause trouble and they want an easy life too.

Young Offenders was worse than regular prison because everybody was young and most wanted to show how hard they were and there were more fights and people kicking off. In regular prison there is more of a mix of people - all ages, long sentences and short sentences. I probably found prison easier having been in Young Offenders before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dean27
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:03 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
duhawkz wrote:

Worked with a lot of crims (my company likes hiring ex-cons) and it's meant to vary massively depending on where you're sent to. Also probably depends on who you're, if you're Jeffrey Archer you still get to drive your own car Rolling Eyes Anyhoo the general consensus seems to be it's getting worse, all part of the American ghetto fantasy youngins seem to want to live out. Drugs, violence, weapons, all except the shower bummings I think Laughing

Jeffrey Archer was in an open prison. Say they are different to regular prison - never been in one.

Everybody asks about the showers and dropping the soap. Think that's more of an American thing - if it does happen there. I never saw that happen when I was in prison

Screw Loose
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:33 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I can confirm Dean's account is pretty much how most prisoners are, us screws try to make life easier for all involved (it keeps our colleagues safe if the prisoners aren't kicking off) however there's very much a balance to be had, say yes and you are their best friend, as soon as you say no you can expect a pool cue round the head.

I spend a lot of the time working in the segregation unit - and its a different ballgame down there...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3