Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Horizion Zero Dawn

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:44 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Horizion Zero Dawn Reply with quote

Anyone playing this?

It's brilliant, The story and characters are great. Normally with RPGs you have such a binary choice You become either unrealistically good or ridiculously evil. In this there is less drastic choice but the character seems more balanced, more realistic.

The quests seem better than most RPGs too, there is none of the go here and kill 10 of that. The side quests you get seem to have an actual meaning, like they are actual 'quests' rather than fetching and carrying or exterminating wildlife.

The world is interesting and the graphics stunning.

The action is cool too, you can really bumble through this. It can get really difficult really quick if you bite off more than you can chew. It's fairly easy to stumble on a group of enemies and get fucked up in short measure.

Most fights have to be considered, you have to work out if you really should and the best way to take down different enemies. You can't just blast through. It really punishes you if you are crap too Most enemies have a week spot, i.e. a Headshot might be a 1 hit kill, this isn't too hard if they haven't seen you and are unaware but if they are barrelling towards you it gets alot harder. It might take ~6 'body' shots to do what one headshot can.

Another good thing, that I haven't seen before in a game. If you are hiding and snipe someone, everyone else doesn't instantly know where you are.

TL:DR, It's great, feels similar to when I played the Last of Us for the First time. Lots of things I wasn't used to in games and it general it felt more real and a decent step from most things before it.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered it last night after a few beers.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it yesterday, just got past the proving section so far. Really enjoying it, and my god, on a 70" 4K HDR screen it's the best looking game I've ever seen.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:37 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
Bought it yesterday, just got past the proving section so far. Really enjoying it, and my god, on a 70" 4K HDR screen it's the best looking game I've ever seen.

Innit I was in a ravine the other day and studdenly was blinded it was the sun coming up and just cresting the mountain. I literally watched the sun come up for like 5 minutes Laughing

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v finished it twice Shocked which iv never done with an rpg, thoroughly enjoyed it Thumbs Up
Engaging characters, well written and an genuinely likeable main character.
Its a bit like uncharted had a baby with the witcher 3, really comes into its own when your exploring ruins and taking on the cauldrons.
It does have a bit of femenist overtones if you look hard enough though.
Still the best game iv played in a long time, i was hooked, up til 4 in the morning type stuff.

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:17 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
I'v finished it twice

You have too much spare time, Laughing I'm 12 hours in and I've only uncovered about 1/3rd of the map.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

You have too much spare time, Laughing I'm 12 hours in and I've only uncovered about 1/3rd of the map.

This game is the reason iv been a fart in a trance at work, very little sleep had.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games like this & Uncharted make me miss not having a PS4.
I'll just have to wait for Mass Effect Andromeda to get a price cull after the latest reviews Sad

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:22 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
Games like this & Uncharted make me miss not having a PS4.
I'll just have to wait for Mass Effect Andromeda to get a price cull after the latest reviews Sad

Uncharted 4 is good, it great fun, looks fantastic and has excellent character interactions. However it is literally 1/2 the game of HZD.

I do have another minor bugbear with HZD.

The dialect is far to contemporary, people in this totally different world talk in a general 2015 tone. It's slightly jarring. Characters in games like Fallout and Skyrim have their owner vernacular that helps build the world. HZD needed that too.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

The dialect is far to contemporary, people in this totally different world talk in a general 2015 tone. It's slightly jarring. Characters in games like Fallout and Skyrim have their owner vernacular that helps build the world. HZD needed that too.

Don't know how far in you are but you sort of find out why they talk with a modern tone and generally how they came to be.

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:22 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it last weekend, played it abit last night and will be playing it later,
Enjoying it at the moment, just climbed the first talk neck I've found, im 4 or so hours in,

I've been doing side quests and trying to upgrade pouches and stuff mainly,
Going to google around and find out what the best thing to sell to merchants is, something I don't need to keep

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:38 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was surprised with this as a gifty on Saturday. Super excited. Started playing straight away but the rest of life has gotten in the way so not very far in.

So far very impressed with the environment. It's gorgeous Wub

Seriously not getting the hang of the camera but reckon that's down to the head-cold. I could hardly even form a sentence, let alone try to use a camera that's flipped to the style I usually use - debating changing the settings.

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:05 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone playing this go into settings and change HUD to Dynamic, it's MUCH better. I'm annoyed I had put ~30 hours into it before figuring it out. Laughing

I've just been exploring rather than playing the main story. I have all the collectables now and have uncovered the whole map. I'm level 38 and the main story is level 18 Laughing

adriansk
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to buy this game, looks great.

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:24 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan1986 wrote:
I got it last weekend, played it abit last night and will be playing it later,
Enjoying it at the moment, just climbed the first talk neck I've found, im 4 or so hours in,

I've been doing side quests and trying to upgrade pouches and stuff mainly,
Going to google around and find out what the best thing to sell to merchants is, something I don't need to keep

On the sell page everything says what you can do it it. If all it says is 'Sell for metal shards' then you can get rid of it.

PSA - Kill every fox and raccoon you see. You need the skins for high end stuff and are difficult to find.

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:40 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,

I am somehow 11 or so hours into my game save now, been ages since I've played a game that long,
Being 30 and doing pretty much 60 hours a week work wise, I usually can't be arsed,
Really enjoying the game, did those 11 hours in just over a week,
My character can handle a fight abit better now, graphics look good on my 55 inch ks8000 with hdr, after leaving the pesky psvr out of the equation obviously
Gotta give a thumbs up for the sound design also,
Machines sound good,

Am I right in thinking you can only buy weapons and not find them? Same for outfits? I paid out for the best bow when I last played,

Which weapon should I go for next? I have the standard bow I'll no longer use, the best bow and the trip caster

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the game, currently level 19, been doing loads of side missions, not even made it to Meridian yet.

Only thing that I find funny, is that your battling highly sophisticated machines, yet if you duck in some long grass, you can sit 2ft away from them and they cant even notice you, Laughing.

Must say though, the graphics are unreal, it's the only game I've bothered to screenshot and have as a background. When the sun is coming through the trees, with all the corona effects and what not it's just staggeringly beautiful.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:17 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan1986 wrote:
Cheers,

I am somehow 11 or so hours into my game save now, been ages since I've played a game that long,
Being 30 and doing pretty much 60 hours a week work wise, I usually can't be arsed,
Really enjoying the game, did those 11 hours in just over a week,
My character can handle a fight abit better now, graphics look good on my 55 inch ks8000 with hdr, after leaving the pesky psvr out of the equation obviously
Gotta give a thumbs up for the sound design also,
Machines sound good,

Am I right in thinking you can only buy weapons and not find them? Same for outfits? I paid out for the best bow when I last played,

Which weapon should I go for next? I have the standard bow I'll no longer use, the best bow and the trip caster

I use 2 types of bow, the Hunter bow* and the Sharpshot bow*

*I think they are called that.

The Hunter Bow fires fast and uses Fire Arrows which are essential for killing certain enemies. The sharpshot bow is slower firing but has a longer range, it also does more damage and using the Tearblast arrows which are very good against armoured enemies.

Other than That I use the blast sling, great for groups and big enemies and the trip caster, which is great for big enemies and bosses.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:18 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
Loving the game, currently level 19, been doing loads of side missions, not even made it to Meridian yet.

Only thing that I find funny, is that your battling highly sophisticated machines, yet if you duck in some long grass, you can sit 2ft away from them and they cant even notice you, Laughing.

Must say though, the graphics are unreal, it's the only game I've bothered to screenshot and have as a background. When the sun is coming through the trees, with all the corona effects and what not it's just staggeringly beautiful.

You haven't met Longlegs yet, they have a sensor that can see you in the grass, you can shoot it off too so they can't which I think is pretty cool.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what skills are people choosing?

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:30 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pig Hog wrote:

I wouldn't worry, it appears you can max them out I'm level 41 and only have about 3/4 skills not unlocked.

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:37 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed HZD but towards the end got a little bored with the combat, that will happen when you play a game for 55 hours. Graphic wise, its stunning...on par with uncharted 4. Story was pretty good, if a little predictable. Gameplay is great especially when play in stealth. But for some reason, I just wasn't feeling the main character, it may have been the American accent putting me off as it just doesn't suit her, but I also found her to be quite emotionless during the cinematics. All in all the rest of the game is fantastic though, a must play for ps4 and I imagine a lot of people's game of the year.
Just not mine;)

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:41 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig hog wrote:

Yeah it really doesn't matter early on, if you do all the side quests before the main story you will max out your skills anyways, I chose stealth based skills first though, mainly the one that increases damage with melee sneak attack, and firing multiple arrows at once.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First game that I've got all the trophies for on PS4.
98ish hours, (or was it 95?). So not bad money wise, about 25p an hour Smile

I didn't get all the datapoints, glyph things etc, life was getting too short for that!

I've only played about 6 games so far on the PS.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:57 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
First game that I've got all the trophies for on PS4.
98ish hours, (or was it 95?). So not bad money wise, about 25p an hour Smile

I didn't get all the datapoints, glyph things etc, life was getting too short for that!

I've only played about 6 games so far on the PS.

I did all the Data Points and Glyphs and 100% AND all trophies in 60 hours Cool

I've moved onto FFXV now, it actually has a similar feel. Combat is not as fun but the world feels very similar.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2