Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Return to motorcycling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:50 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Return to motorcycling Reply with quote

Sold my Triumph T/Bird 18 months back as it was getting to heavy to manoeuvre, plus at 67 I thought it about time I gave the bikes up. BIG MISTAKE. Have full permission from her indoors to get another bike, as long as it's much lighter and smaller, which I agree with. Have a budget of £3500 for used bike. I'm thinking of about max 500 cc, but not really finding much around. Don't want any type of Sports bike, looking for naked retro style, but not as retro as Royal Enfield, tried one of them and didn't like it at all. Honda CBC 500 seem to have good reputation,but decent ones not easy to find. Any suggestions on other bikes. I will no doubt have to travel to find something, dealers in my area ( Somerset ) from what I have seen have very little in price range.
Any advice appreciated..Thanks

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pre 2011 street triple r Thumbs Up

/thread
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:07 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer the Bastard wrote:
Aren't you a ripe old bastard.

Fuck the dragon and buy what you really want.

Well I am in total agreement with what she is saying, I really don't want another big bike, done them all in 45 years of biking. At 69 in a couple of months I don't need hi speed and heavy bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:14 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please ignore the usual cries of "Striple" and "Turbo Firebusa". I've actually read your requirements.

When you say retro and "CBC 500", do you mean the 1970s era CB500 Four?

https://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/honda_cb500f.jpg

Or the 1990s - late 2000s CB500 and CBF500 twins?

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/828/images/mcb5_20033ra-01.jpg

Just to get an idea of what you're after.

Sadly, there's not a huge amount out there in the 126 - 500 capacity compared to 125s and 600+ bikes, particularly so when you've discarded race bikes and proper relics.

Is it fair to assume that you don't want to touch anything Chinese branded either?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not stick with Triumph, but downsize to a Bonneville?

Retro, and definitely lighter than a Thunderbird!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I forget that retro means something else to old people Embarassed

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

Rogerborg wrote:
Please ignore the usual cries of "Striple" and "Turbo Firebusa". I've actually read your requirements.

https://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/honda_cb500f.jpg

Or the 1990s - late 2000s CB500 and CBF500 twins?

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/828/images/mcb5_20033ra-01.jpg

Just to get an idea of what you're after.

Sadly, there's not a huge amount out there in the 126 - 500 capacity compared to 125s and 600+ bikes, particularly so when you've discarded race bikes and proper relics.

Is it fair to assume that you don't want to touch anything Chinese branded either?

I was thinking of the 500 twin, wouldn't be adverse to a 500. 4, but they do ask a lot for theses in decent condition. Did own a Z 650 B1 about 20 years back, imported from States, that was a nice bike. Never given Chinese bikes a thought, perhaps I'll give them a miss.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

Depends what you call a big bike.

I would probably be looking at the 650 twin range. ER6, MT07 or maybe a Ducati Monster if you want something off base. I'm not sure what is available on your budget but I suspect the MT07 would be pushing it.

My wifes ER6 feels light enough to pick up under 1 arm and wander off and you can get a fair lick up if you wring the arse off it.

If you want smaller, the choice, not to put too fine a point on it, is IMO crap. The 500's are ugly commuter twins or commuter engines in a frock. Any smaller and you will end up wanting to top yourself with boredom. Might as well get a trike.

If you mean 70's machinery, I wouldn't have thought you would get anything decent with your budget.

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Depends what you call a big bike.

I would probably be looking at the 650 twin range. ER6, MT07 or maybe a Ducati Monster if you want something off base. I'm not sure what is available on your budget but I suspect the MT07 would be pushing it.

My wifes ER6 feels light enough to pick up under 1 arm and wander off and you can get a fair lick up if you wring the arse off it.

If you want smaller, the choice, not to put too fine a point on it, is IMO crap. The 500's are ugly commuter twins or commuter engines in a frock. Any smaller and you will end up wanting to top yourself with boredom. Might as well get a trike.

If you mean 70's machinery, I wouldn't have thought you would get anything decent with your budget.

Definitely don't want a Ducati, had a 750 Monster many years back, only had it about 2 months, was in workshop more than I rode it, dealer took it back in end and I bought a Triumph Sprint. I understand the 500 size may be a stumbling point, just seemed right size to buy. I've done all the speed stuff, bit more sensible at 69 now, just need something to get out on for leisurely rides.

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:36 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Love to but to expensive.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:48 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the CB500 or CBF500 is a decent shout, but as you say there aren't a huge number of decent examples around, particularly if you're looking at dealers.

Would you go as low as 250? There are a few CBF and YBR 250s knocking around. I'm back down to a 250 at the moment and finding it perfectly adequate, and surprisingly good fun.

If you want a wider choice, you'll have to look beyond dealers. When I'm in the market, I hit up eBay and Gumtree at least daily, with cash to hand. I can't bring myself to do it, but some folk now swear by Facebook for local bike sales.

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:32 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Then the CB500 or CBF500 is a decent shout, but as you say there aren't a huge number of decent examples around, particularly if you're looking at dealers.

Would you go as low as 250? There are a few CBF and YBR 250s knocking around. I'm back down to a 250 at the moment and finding it perfectly adequate, and surprisingly good fun.

If you want a wider choice, you'll have to look beyond dealers. When I'm in the market, I hit up eBay and Gumtree at least daily, with cash to hand. I can't bring myself to do it, but some folk now swear by Facebook for local bike sales.

I think 250 may be a bit small for me, not that sure on buying from EBay, will look at Gumtree, if the bikes on Facebook are anything like the cars for sale, most definitely no, mostly rubbish.

Alawson68
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM Duke 390, v light, v comfy

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:40 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alawson68 wrote:
KTM Duke 390, v light, v comfy

Looked at that, but more a young man's bike, not really for a 69 year old..

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki SV650 or Gladius?

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:43 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the replies i have upped engine size to take in 600's, possible contender is older Honda Hornet.

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:45 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Suzuki SV650 or Gladius?

Not to keen on either..Thanks anyway

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:30 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha SR400. The late 1990s ones are within your reach. If you're lucky, you might find a 2014- version within your budget.

Saw a retired guy ride a Triumph of some kind into the local bike garage the other day while I was having a minor job done. He said it was 5 years old. Bla-bla-bla, and suddenly I remembered that just about every time I was there, that bike seemed to be in for some work. Didn't really inspire confidence... It wasn't one of those Street Triples, but something that looked retro, and tall, with knobblies for appearance's sake. With an SR400 you get retro looks but no reason to pop into the garage every couple of weeks.. Wink

denwyn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:27 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
Yamaha SR400. The late 1990s ones are within your reach. If you're lucky, you might find a 2014- version within your budget.

Saw a retired guy ride a Triumph of some kind into the local bike garage the other day while I was having a minor job done. He said it was 5 years old. Bla-bla-bla, and suddenly I remembered that just about every time I was there, that bike seemed to be in for some work. Didn't really inspire confidence... It wasn't one of those Street Triples, but something that looked retro, and tall, with knobblies for appearance's sake. With an SR400 you get retro looks but no reason to pop into the garage every couple of weeks.. Wink

I like the SR400, but very unsure on ease of starting.I seem to remember Yamaha singles similar to this were fiddly to kick start with no electric starter.Theres a Honda Single similar in style to this can't remember the model, it ticks all the boxes but is only available as import model,which puts me off with Spares / servicing etc.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:55 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy kick starting my Enfield when I'm in the mood, but the electric foot is a godsend. I wouldn't have an SR400 purely on that basis, and since they re-released it, they've only sold 140 bikes in 4 years.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motoguzzi V7?
198kg wet weight though. Too heavy?
Seen a 2012 with 12k miles on autotrader at £3,800.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say Fazer? As in the 2003 'fox eye' I've got. Should do what you want and not particularly heavy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be worth a read

Do You Even Lift ! - Bike Weight

vice wrote:
pre 2011 street triple r Thumbs Up

/thread

Rogerborg wrote:

denwyn wrote:
After all the replies i have upped engine size to take in 600's, possible contender is older Honda Hornet.

so not a millions miles off

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

denwyn wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Love to but too expensive.

Problem solved Wink

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Bonneville-865cc-T100-2007-this-bike-is-in-good-condition-rides-well-/142315792676?hash=item2122aea924:g:-aoAAOSwTM5Yy8NV

Last edited by Evil Hans on 12:22 - 17 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2