Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can I get a really decent racing/training bike for < £1k?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Can I get a really decent racing/training bike for < £1k? Reply with quote

Took my hybrid mountain bike here today

https://www.flammerouge.cc/
for a full service, and sort out the derailleurs - which is just a dark art to me, after I mangled them on a bridleway crash recently, stuck in a single gear ever since.

Anyway, asked them about decent entry level road going bikes, and the bike they showed me was really, really nice, so light Shocked but ever so much money £1000 in fact Neutral

I've got into exercise generally, joined a running club. Want to get into cycling, looking for something I can ride for 2 or 3 hours straight at a decent pace on the road, join in group ride outs too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the tyres on your MTB for road ones will make a surprising amount of difference.

You can get lots of bike for less than a grand: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/cycle/road-bikes/?mi=250&ma=1000&omi=250&oma=7000&cc=GBP&bc=GBP&o=2

If the cycle to work scheme is available from your employer then you can make some nice savings from it. Thumbs Up

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:02 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Planet-X Pro carbon

Depending on your size, you could get one with Shimano Ultegra components (not brakes & chainset) for £799 (only small & large frames in that option)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXSLP6800V2/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-mix-road-bike

Other configurations available.

I bought one for the Mrs and its almost as light as my Canyon Endurace CF which cost a fair bit more.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Can I get a really decent racing/training bike for < Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I got a 2012 Gianty Defy 2 for £170 second hand but in decent nick.

It's not the lightest, but not bad still (until I added panniers and a chunky chain). Original price was £1k and for a similar spec you're still paying at least that I think (2x10 etc).

Road bikes don't seem to hold their value as well as many mountain bikes seem to, so I'd keep an eye out for a good value second hand bike.

This one was 45 minutes away, so a bit of a trip, but very happy with that for the price.

Something like the above I doubt will be a significantly limiting factor over those wanting to spend a lot more compared to a minor improvement in fitness.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:28 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend the Triban 500 SE from Decathlon. Nice cheap (£299) introduction to road bikes.

By the time you're pushing that bike to the limits you'll have a better idea what you want to spend your cash on IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a serious road bike for not stupid amounts of money, take a look at the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Veloce.

Great specced bike at a steal of a price for the money.

They stopped production of them, but you can find pristine used ones at half the retail price. But make sure it is the Veloce, with the carbon rear stays.

Either that or something like this, which is superb for the £350:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252821270671

They ride beautifully.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:21 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your options are endless tbh, there's plenty available for under 1k that will do the job that you want, best bet is eBay. You always get a better specced bike at a good price.

My race bike is a Cannondale supersix Evo hi mod which when new retailed at over 5k, I purchased it with a better wheelset fitted than when new for just over 2k. The bike awesome and super light.

My TT bike was the same, purchased for over 2k and the wheelset alone when new cost over £1600.

Another option is build your own, there's always great deals to be had on eBay and forums allowing you to build an awesome bike for not very much money.

My recommendation would be buy yourself a cheaper bike and see how you like it, if it's purely for fitness reasons then you won't need a bike that's all singing and dancing.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:20 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ignore Wull. He doesn't know anything about cycling. Can't even do 12k miles in a year.

Thumbs Up Laughing

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a specialized allez sport for about £500, and that has seen me just fine for a number of sportives and commuting 25 miles each way to work (in the summer) for the last 2 years - it still looks fantastic.

no need to spend more than that unless you are going to get very very serious imho.

Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:39 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go far wrong with a Ribble for around £1000 Thumbs Up

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:10 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
You can ignore Wull. He doesn't know anything about cycling. Can't even do 12k miles in a year.

Thumbs Up Laughing

I'm still scunnered about that........

Funnily enough, I did my first outside ride of the year today after work, I've been on the turbo trainer all year and thought it was about time I hit the roads again.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my Marin hybrid service and it came back like a brand new bike, didn't mind spending a little on it as I was given it, and I went for a 17 mile ride on it it's okay, think I will just stick with that for a while at least.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

A pal ordered one and it kept on getting delayed, so he cancelled and bought a bike off eBay.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
spnorm wrote:

A pal ordered one and it kept on getting delayed, so he cancelled and bought a bike off eBay.

Ribble are cheap, BUT I'd say talk to your local bike shop. With your first proper road bike, and first time riding clipped in I would say I bike fit is very worth while.

My experience is that I bought a Ribble and some shoes. Slammed the cleats on and got knee issues. Not too bad, but I knew it was there. Bought a Cincelli from an LBS and got a bike fit, I've been riding it loads and had zero problems.

If you want to know who I used then PM me, he's not that far from you, but has wound down his retail presence recently. If not, have a chat with Transition Cycles, I've been in there a handful of times and they seem to be "OK". Again I personally have a little bit of experience with Tri-Sports in Letchworth and they're a good bunch of lads.

To be fair if £1k is your budget you'd easily be able to get an alloy frame, Ultegra mechnical and ok wheels for that money. You could spend more on wheels if you went with a 105 groupset. At that kind of money I wouldn't bother looking at Campag, but that's my opinion. (I also think their grouspets peak at Chorus in terms of cost/benefit, but just IMHO).

EDIT- Didn't know about those lads in B-town, I'll check them out.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well £1k is my aspirational budget, waiting to hear about this job I applied for.

Anyway, I just cycled Bedford to Stewartby and back home via Wooton

https://www.strava.com/activities/951402202
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1