Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cornering weight distribution??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yesjus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:57 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Cornering weight distribution?? Reply with quote

Hi,

Recently new to motorbiking and just have a quick question about cornering.
I'm reading a lot about "leaning in" and "hanging off" the bike meaning my weight is off the bike left or right depending on the corner which I understand.

My question is where should my weight be in terms of front to rear. In a corner should I be leaning over and forward, or should I be leaning over and keeping weight off the handlebars and towards the rear.

thanks guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

twist of the wrist II (cornering bible)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Cornering weight distribution?? Reply with quote

Yesjus wrote:
Hi,

Recently new to motorbiking.....

where should my weight be in terms of front to rear.

Serious overthinking there - just ride brah, the fine arts can wait until later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:30 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup stop thinking about it and it'll come naturally.

I tend to stick my head down to my left mirror when turning left and vice versa, so to answer your question - lean forwards.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride. No need to worry about it. Modern tyres will let you corner plenty fast enough scare yourself without even thinking about hanging off. As your confidence grows, you'll naturally begin to move around a bit more on the bike.

Only thing I would add is, as you start to move, keep your body in line. If you shift an arse cheek out of the saddle, your head and shoulders should go with it.

Riding 'crossed up' is not the way.

Another vote for 'twist of the wrist' It's a bit 'Murican, but is an interesting watch.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can feel Tarmac through your clothes and the scenery is going Sky/Ground/Sky/Ground/Sky/Ground - then you are doing it wrong.

Other than that, just keep practicing...

Thumbs Up

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely over thinking it. There's no real requirements to lean off on the street on most bikes. A little shift towards the inside of the corner is all that's really needed, even at speed. Just think head towards inside mirror but keep body in line with itself. Whatever makes you feel comfortable though.

Yesjus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:53 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinks I might be overthinking it!
Guess I'm Just worried about picking up bad habits or the risk of an off because I'm applying weight in the wrong place - too much weight on handlebars = wash out?
Cheers

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're more likely to end up face down on the black stuff from trying to overthink and force yourself to be in the "correct" position than just going with the flow.

You'll learn what works and what doesn't just by riding, one day you'll realise you're shifting your weight and hanging off a bit just because it becomes second nature.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:02 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very worst thing you can do is start adjusting your position once you've started the corner, you'll just cock-up the trim.

If you're going to lean, think of it as like peering round the side of the handlebars, no gross movements. I'd just concentrate on nice, smooth, neutral cornering for now though.

You shouldn't really be putting any weight on the handlebars at all, they're for steering, not for holding onto. Your arse and legs are for taking your weight. I like to think of steering as pulling on one bar rather than pushing on the other one. You probably shouldn't be thinking of steering at all at this stage, just ride it.

Get all the braking done before the corner, approach on a nice wide outside line to maximise your visability, smooth application of power through the corner looking where you want to go. When you see the exit, feel free to nail it.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesjus wrote:
Thinks I might be overthinking it!
Guess I'm Just worried about picking up bad habits or the risk of an off because I'm applying weight in the wrong place - too much weight on handlebars = wash out?
Cheers

On a sports bike the weight is designed to be mostly on the front anyway.

Your weight should be on your outside leg which is holding you on the bike which in turn translates down to the front wheel. However, you should not be trying to put weight on the handlebars. Doing this only results in the suspension not being able to do its job as efficiently. Handlebars are for turning, not leaning on.

In short, let the bike do what its designed to do.

Generally yes, you will want to be leaning into the corner if you're hanging off, etc.. but if you're starting out don't try to run before you can walk. Get used to things first before you start trying to emulate rossi at the tescos roundabout.

One thing I will say though is if you do want to try leaning your body in a bit do it with the top of your body. So many newer riders do what we call 'crossing up' which is they move their bum over to hang off but the top of their body is still over the bike twisting themselves up. Its uncomfortable and will lead to issues so yeh, if you must move, just do it with your head (kiss the inside mirror as it were). The bottom half will come later.

Give it 6 months or a year then jump on a trackday. will teach you so much Smile

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:32 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesjus wrote:
too much weight on handlebars = wash out?
Cheers

Jeez...how fat are you or how fast are you going? I only ever paid attention to moving my weight around when I was trials riding other than that, if your arse is on the seat and you can reach the handlebars you are probably close enough

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:20 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at where you want to go and the bike will naturally move in that direction. And relax. Stiffening up makes everything more difficult.
I tend to cock things up when I over-think what I am doing.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:23 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have said really. Relax, don't over think it. The most important thing is to look where you want to go.

Yesjus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:30 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks peeps,

Went for a ride this afternoon, didn't think too much about the cornering weight distribution blah blah, and it felt much better!!

Cheers 👍
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1