Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garden path bricks moving

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Garden path bricks moving Reply with quote

a few years ago i laid down a bricked garden path to our front door -

where the path goes past the front door and ends - the bricks at the very end (of the path) dislodge/ wobble an fall off

I have tried cementing them in, which sticks em for a bit but then come loose again

Is there anything special that i should have done with these last bricks

I prob havent explained it very well - will take a pic tonight if needed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Garden path bricks moving Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
a few years ago i laid down a bricked garden path to our front door -

where the path goes past the front door and ends - the bricks at the very end (of the path) dislodge/ wobble an fall off

I have tried cementing them in, which sticks em for a bit but then come loose again

Is there anything special that i should have done with these last bricks

I prob havent explained it very well - will take a pic tonight if needed?

I think it comes down to the quality (or lack of) the border bricks. These go in first and you build the internals of the path second.

Cement / mortar seems your only option now other than rip it up and lay it again with a deeper foundation?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:25 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The path just ends against, what, soil?

Got some spare bricks? I'd be minded to lift the last row (or two) and re-lay them on-end, i.e. half buried in the ground.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be set against a deeper foundation pad/kerb of concrete ideally, however something like an old sleeper or long kerbstone would probably be almost as good for the life of the path and could just be dug in and set the end bricks directly against it.
You might try a substantial flag stone or two at the end.

Some soil types move a surprising amount as they get wet and dry even without traffic pressure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit hard to explain, but the house/ garden is on a slope, so the path is flat, but the ground runs away from it to the side of the house, only by about 6-8"

I have then put slate chippings up to the path to make up the difference - obviously the chippings arnt meant to be supportive or anything

Photo is prob easier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put down some slabs in my garden so I could get my bike up the hill of after any rain without digging a massive rut.

I cut out the slab shape from the grass dug down about 1/2" and used small stones (B&Q sell bags of them) to half fill the hole. Then I put the slabs on top of those and jumped up and down on the slabs. Lifed the slabs up and then filled in any gaps with more little stones. No cement, nada. They haven't moved an inch and I ride up and down them, pretty much, every day..

Sounds like the bed for your path isn't very flat/stable. fill it with stones.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry forgot to update - now sorted.

I sunk a plank of oak (work in a place that produces oak furniture) hard up against where the path ended then re cemented the bricks back in

jobs a good un

ta Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1