Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The old Abandoned Vehicle/ Registered keeper thing...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: The old Abandoned Vehicle/ Registered keeper thing... Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
He applied for the Owners contact details to see about buying it this was rejected. Then he applied for the v5 the reason he gave was 'Abandoned Vehicle'

While I certainly wouldn't have done it, nothing was deceptive or fraudulent.

How odd, DVLA normally refuse applications for a log book under this reason unless you are a motor trader or Council etc, I assume you saw the log book application and aren't just making this up?

The point that he was refused the owners details and then applied for the log book infers he had no right to it so I'm afraid both still apply.
The fact is he wasn't the keeper and had no legal right to apply to be keeper so regardless of DVLA's actions he more than likely still commited an offence or two.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:41 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: The old Abandoned Vehicle/ Registered keeper thing... Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
chris-red wrote:
He applied for the Owners contact details to see about buying it this was rejected. Then he applied for the v5 the reason he gave was 'Abandoned Vehicle'

How odd, DVLA normally refuse applications for a log book under this reason unless you are a motor trader or Council etc, I assume you saw the log book application and aren't just making this up?

The point that he was refused the owners details and then applied for the log book infers he had no right to it so I'm afraid both still apply.
The fact is he wasn't the keeper and had no legal right to apply to be keeper so regardless of DVLA's actions he more than likely still commited an offence or two.

Well that what he told me, I'm sure you know best, I'll call the flying squad. Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

He drove of in a 66 plate Merc 4x4 leaving the bike with the steering lock off and only secured by a cheapo oxford chain, in East London Rolling Eyes

This has no relevance, what does it matter what he drives, how much money he may, or may not have, still doesn't justify trying to obtain his, apparently forgotten, bike by deception !!

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:50 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
chris-red wrote:

He drove of in a 66 plate Merc 4x4 leaving the bike with the steering lock off and only secured by a cheapo oxford chain, in East London Rolling Eyes

This has no relevance, what does it matter what he drives, how much money he may, or may not have, still doesn't justify trying to obtain his, apparently forgotten, bike by deception !!

You might have missed the point where he and my colleague are discussing a price for the bike.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly :p

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:02 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: The old Abandoned Vehicle/ Registered keeper thing... Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Then he applied for the v5 the reason he gave was 'Abandoned Vehicle'

Given that the V62 asks you why you don't have a V5C that you should have, rather than why you reckon you deserve one, I'd be surprised.

Did you see his V62?

chris-red wrote:

Or perhaps he lied to you.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

You might have missed the point where he and my colleague are discussing a price for the bike.

Nope, clearly wasn't his original intention to go and pay for it, perhaps he got worried/cold feet after reading, or hearing about the replies on here

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:17 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: The old Abandoned Vehicle/ Registered keeper thing... Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Then he applied for the v5 the reason he gave was 'Abandoned Vehicle'

Given that the V62 asks you why you don't have a V5C that you should have, rather than why you reckon you deserve one, I'd be surprised.

Did you see his V62?

chris-red wrote:

Or perhaps he lied to you.

As you can see from the first few lines of the OP I did not see the v62.

Maybe he has been lying all along, he could be a Lizard Shocked

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Nope, clearly wasn't his original intention to go and pay for it,

To quote Mr Borg..."citation needed"

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:20 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Nope, clearly wasn't his original intention to go and pay for it, perhaps he got worried/cold feet after reading, or hearing about the replies on here

He hasn't seen the replies on here, he's not a forum member, and I haven't told him anything about it. He contacted the owner the day I posted the thread, I checked in with him and...

[‎23/‎03/‎2017 12:50] Me:
got a new bike yet?
[‎23/‎03/‎2017 12:51] Colleague:
hahaha
not heard from him since the offer so just sent him a text asking if he's decided what he wants to do.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:28 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he takes the plate off it, slaps it on the back of his Merc, and goes on a tour of the local $cameras. Whistle

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:30 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

How did the owner react when you're mate said "I'm now the registered keeper of your bike, fancy flogging it to me so I'm not just having to tax and insure someone elses bike?"

Well, the bloke had 'forgotten' about it apparently as I was leaving I saw him trying to start it it was obvious it wasn't going to start just slow clicks from the relay, still he tried it for a couple of minutes Laughing

It hasn't moved for at least 9 months according to my colleague as 9 months ago he picked it up from the floor, that's how he first noticed it. The mirror is still folded in from hitting the floor.

Yes, but has he told the Rightful owner that he's already taken the keepership of the bike? I, for one, would not be ok with that.

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:41 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Yes, but has he told the Rightful owner that he's already taken the keepership of the bike? I, for one, would not be ok with that.

I agree, I would have been pissed about it, I said to him imagine if he has had it from new, 1 keeper and you have taken it so now 2 keepers, and he wants it back, 3 keepers. Apparently the bloke didn't care.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red, you have clearly offended the sensibilities of the BCF moral police squad, honourable seppuku is the only option from here. Tut Tut

Or you could just ignore them and carry on with your life. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:27 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilt by association. Build the fire higher!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chris-red, you have clearly offended the sensibilities of the BCF moral police squad, honourable seppuku is the only option from here. Tut Tut

And just remember when anything you own gets stolen that karma is an absolute bitch.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A theft perpetrated by giving their name and address to a government agency, leaving the stolen item in situ, contacting the victim and offering to pay for it... we would all have a lot more tolerance if more thieves were quite so courteous.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Islander wrote:

And just remember when anything you own gets stolen that karma is an absolute bitch.

chris-red has stolen nothing so I'm not sure what your point is here?

Also, what drdonnybrago said. Thumbs Up

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chris-red has stolen nothing so I'm not sure what your point is here?

That was my point.

Islander wrote:
Also, what drdonnybrago said. Thumbs Up

Can I have the registrations and chassis numbers of all your vehicles please, I wish to register them in someone elses name and then I will discuss the possibility of purchasing them from you? Would you like that because I sure wouldn't want it done to me?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd point to make but ok...

You are, of course, welcome to get my registration numbers from the places that I park my various vehicles. It'll be an expensive and ineffective way to try and inflict karma though. Razz

For what it's worth, I had someone try to register a vehicle that I had stored (the person that took the storage over sold it on to him quite illegally). The DVLA contacted me, I contacted the police and it was all resolved quite amicably.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

You are, of course, welcome to get my registration numbers from the places that I park my various vehicles. It'll be an expensive and ineffective way to try and inflict karma though. Razz

For what it's worth, I had someone try to register a vehicle that I had stored (the person that took the storage over sold it on to him quite illegally). The DVLA contacted me, I contacted the police and it was all resolved quite amicably.

So thats a no then.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:47 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

And I imagine that at the time your first thought was, "oh what jolly fun, I'm going to enjoy dealing with this 100% unnecessary ball ache"

what if you didn't spot it and the re-reg went through unchallenged? more fun to be had then I suppose.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Islander wrote:

So thats a no then.

Did I say no? No I didn't. I said you're welcome to come and get the information yourself - I'm not doing your legwork for you. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Islander wrote:

And I imagine that at the time your first thought was, "oh what jolly fun, I'm going to enjoy dealing with this 100% unnecessary ball ache"

what if you didn't spot it and the re-reg went through unchallenged? more fun to be had then I suppose.

Nope, I phoned the DVLA (they won't stop the re-reg without police intervention by the way) then dropped into the local police station. Job jobbed. The person that had tried to register got in touch (the police gave him my contact info) and the problem was resolved. It probably took 30 minutes of my time overall.

It would have been hard not to spot it as the DVLA notified me of the attempt.

I suppose it could have turned into a bit more of a ball-ache but the guy that bought it was honestly horriified that it wasn't a legal transaction - I paid him for the parts that he'd bought and fitted to it.

I think you're missing the point though. I'm not condoning chris-red's friend's actions at all. It was a pretty stupid thing to do and could have gone pretty badly for him (assuming the police could be arsed to follow it up - ours are a bit more enthusiastic here Laughing ). My comments were aimed at the pointless digging at chris-red himself - he wasn't the guilty party.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:20 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
My comments were aimed at the pointless digging at chris-red himself - he wasn't the guilty party.

Where did anyone say Chris-red was guilty of anything?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4