Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Kia saga, part two - rejection

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: The Kia saga, part two - rejection Reply with quote

You may recall a problem we had with our Kia Cee'd Estate about 9 months ago, to re-cap:

The wiring loom wore through itself rubbing against another part of the vehicle, the dashboard lit up with every fault light it could and the car went into limp mode.

Had to wait a week for the garage to take it in and look at it, the wiring loom was un-wrapped, re-insulated, re-wrapped and the car tested, all under warranty.

Since then the car often (it once managed to do it three times in one week, but usually just once a week) will simply loose power on the motorway when you try to accelerate, changing down through the gears does nothing to help you find power but re-starting the car instantly resolves the issue, the throttle on the car is drive by wire and I'm confident the issue is due to the wiring loom fault.

The car has been in the dealership no less than 9 times, they have failed to find the fault despite accepting that it's a potentially dangerous fault.

I have been in contact with Kia UK who, likewise, accepted the fault exists and that it's potentially dangerous and arranged for the dealership to take the car in again.

no fault could be found or replicated so we have the car back.

A week ago the possibility of the dealership buying the car back from us was raised with seemingly a positive tone from the dealership, been chasing for updates on this since Thursday and have been told today that I could expect a call today.

If they only offer the same as what we buy any car etc offer are they just chancing their arm that I'll pay the difference for a vehicle of similar age and millage off their yard, given that same age and millage are about £4k above what we buy any car have quoted for mine?

we bought the car at a year old and also purchased "return to invoice" and 'damage protection (small dents etc) from Kia alongside this as we expected to keep the car for a number of years, not just until the finance was up (last payment is later this year)

I'm not expecting what we paid for it as we have had it since Oct 2014 but a chunk of the millage on the vehicle is down to it having been driven on test, along with me taking an afternoon unpaid from work to go and drive it on test to see if the fault would show (it didn't)

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:04 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in warranty - go for a brand new replacement. They can only say no but I would push it well past any first refusals.

Have a word with citizens advice to get the right words to use in any letters rejection.... not of merchantable quality etc.

Have you checked any Kia enthusiasts (if there is such a thing) forums to see if it is a known fault?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
Still in warranty - go for a brand new replacement. They can only say no but I would push it well past any first refusals.

Have a word with citizens advice to get the right words to use in any letters rejection.... not of merchantable quality etc.

Have you checked any Kia enthusiasts (if there is such a thing) forums to see if it is a known fault?

Thanks, I'm more after checking my line of thinking is reasonable
Our car was a year old when we bought it so a year or two old would be acceptable to me.

I've not found a power loss issue on any Kia forum for the current generation Cee'd - I believe it stems from the wiring loom repair

Citizens advice have got back in touch to say I can reject completely under SOG as it was bought before 2015

of course a re-fund would take usage and any damage into consideration

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring loom should have been replaced from the off.

As much as Id be pissed off the the inconvenience and costs of time off work etc, I suspect you'll have to be happy with getting out at market value.

Dont accept any we buy any car prices, but get some comparable prices from parkers, glasses, ebay sold listings, autotrader adds (bear in mind this will include some haggle space) and get a solid idea of the true market value. I personally wouldnt be taking a penny less than that.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

most vehicles the wiring loom is one of the first things into the car, it's a strip almost to shell to replace - I was surprised it was repaired as were a few friends who work in the industry.

trade-in price I've been offered range from £5500 to £6000

As I've said, I'm not expecting to get back what I paid, but I would expect enough to get an equivalent vehicle with dealer backing.

I'm not asking compensation for time off work and being late to work etc, more that it's taken into consideration when working out the offer, say, overlooking a scuff on the interior that would polish out when valeted.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The Kia saga, part two - rejection Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Since then the car often (it once managed to do it three times in one week, but usually just once a week) will simply loose power on the motorway when you try to accelerate

Most engines 'loose' their power when you hit the accelerator... Wink

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it the petrol or the diesel model?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
is it the petrol or the diesel model?

1.4 diesel

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

1.4 diesel

Seen same issue on a diesel, turned out to be the turbo, was on the way out, also seen similar issues with clogged up DPF, have both of these been checked? Although I wouldn't expect the turbo to die so soon.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

1.4 diesel

Seen same issue on a diesel, turned out to be the turbo, was on the way out, also seen similar issues with clogged up DPF, have both of these been checked? Although I wouldn't expect the turbo to die so soon.

I assume so, it's been back in the dealership numerous times for them to 'extensively check'

so it's up to them to have checked. the fact the issue goes instantly if you turn the ignition off and on again, even without stopping, makes me think it's electronic in nature and related to the wiring loom repair.

either way, 10 months of faffing around with it and waking up once in the night having dreamt we had been hit from behind due to it, enough is enough.

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:39 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egr valve.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberkron wrote:
Egr valve.

Again, I'd assume that a Kia dealership would have checked that one at least one of the occasions it has been in.

it shows no fault lights nor anything on the diagnostic during or after it's faulted (except the initial wiring wearing through)

Unfortunately we've not been able to have it fault while a diagnostic kit has been connected to the car to see if it shows anything but doesn't record it.

After the car has been in the dealership 4 times (each around a week long) and taken 10 months for no progress we need to loose the stress of dealing with it.

I was promised Friday before last that I'd hear back within the week about an offer on exchanging / buying back

Chased that on Friday and no one rang me back just to let me know if it was in hand or not.

chased that yesterday and assured I'd hear back Monday or Tuesday of this week.

It's past 10pm on Tuesday, they'll receive the letter tomorrow by recorded post, lets see if they bother to answer that.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You keep referring to the "Kia dealership" out of curiosity have you been going to the same dealer the entire time?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
You keep referring to the "Kia dealership" out of curiosity have you been going to the same dealer the entire time?

Yes, the local dealer where I bought it from, Kia customer service did not recommend trying a different dealer.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:27 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

1.4 diesel

Could be related to OPs issue. The ECU could be going into limp mode following an overboost from the turbo. On the old variable-vane turbos in VWs the vanes used to clog with soot which stopped them from maintaining (lowering) boost levels, so it goes into limp mode on acceleration. Something similar could be happening on the Kia lumps such as a borked wastegate/split actuator hose? Or if its electronic, a busted vacuum module?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:
vice wrote:

Could be related to OPs issue. The ECU could be going into limp mode following an overboost from the turbo. On the old variable-vane turbos in VWs the vanes used to clog with soot which stopped them from maintaining (lowering) boost levels, so it goes into limp mode on acceleration. Something similar could be happening on the Kia lumps such as a borked wastegate/split actuator hose? Or if its electronic, a busted vacuum module?

possible but doesn't fit what I experience when driving,

it doesn't respond to the throttle at all, no change in engine noise, revs or anything (unless going up hill in which case the revs lower)

I would, for what you describe, expect the car to try as the turbo attempts to spool, this is essentially like turning a light switch on and the light not lighting up.

The issue is no longer what the actual problem is, but is the lack of a resolution leaving me with a car that's not fit for purpose. Still no contact from Kia, they should have gotten the letter today, they're a week on from when I should have heard back "a few days" and 2 days on from me having chased it and been told "today or tomorrow"

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
vice wrote:

Yes, the local dealer where I bought it from, Kia customer service did not recommend trying a different dealer.

surprise that.. yeah keep using the same shit dealer who can't find the problem ... genius

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Wonko The Sane wrote:

surprise that.. yeah keep using the same shit dealer who can't find the problem ... genius

trying a different dealers might be an idea, if there was another nearby, I looked into taking it to the one in the next town but they're part of the same group and share the workshop mine has been into so no point.

The next nearest is in the opposite direction to work taking an hour to get there when traffic is light, in rush hour I might as well take the morning off work to get the car there / pick it up which simply isn't practical, we're half an hour to an hour late to work to drop it in locally as it is.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kia's head office is opposite my office, want me to shit on their doorstep?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots wrote:
Kia's head office is opposite my office, want me to shit on their doorstep?

Knock yourself out, perhaps do a shit burnout and splatter it up the door too?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

trying a different dealers might be an idea, if there was another nearby, I looked into taking it to the one in the next town but they're part of the same group and share the workshop mine has been into so no point.

The next nearest is in the opposite direction to work taking an hour to get there when traffic is light, in rush hour I might as well take the morning off work to get the car there / pick it up which simply isn't practical, we're half an hour to an hour late to work to drop it in locally as it is.

Sounds like it's been way more of an inconvenience than not taking it to a different dealer that may actually be able to fix the problem.

What's that definition of insanity/stupidity again? Doing the same shit over and over expecting different results...

If I went to a steakhouse and they burnt my steak, I wouldn't keep going back in the hope that one day they might get it right.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:23 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error Codes?

Anything like this I'd want to see live data and error codes just to know what the ecu thinks is happening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mas101 wrote:
Error Codes?

Anything like this I'd want to see live data and error codes just to know what the ecu thinks is happening.

That's part of the issue, the diagnostics kit and the error code shows no record of the fault having occurred, it simply doesn't log anything.

Unfortunately it's never, in my knowledge, faulted with a diagnostic kit on despite me driving a few hours with a kia mechanic with me and also for a few weeks in December with a Clarke tools code reader attached covering a lot of motorway including 2 return trips from Manchester to the East coast.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1