Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyres, when would you replace?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Tyres, when would you replace? Reply with quote

After some advice based upon the provided photo's as to when you'd replace them as I've a habit of thinking things are past their sell by date but have life left in them.

Only asking because the front concerns me, rear's fine, as is on 2mm and the tyre profile looks a bit iffy. I purchased the bike tail end of last year and have only done a few hundred miles since and always new when I got it that they'd need replacing since they looked near the end of their life in the shop and surprise surprise they where "just in spec mate, any lower and we'd replace them," probably naive to expect a fresh set of rubber on a used bike from a stealer (indi).

Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier. In fairness they've not worn all that much, if at all, since the guy said it was around 2mm when I got it so based on that could probably get a few more miles out of it?

Also acceptable price for a ride in and ride out service to get new tyres fitted? I haven't phoned my trusted shop yet but wanted a rough figure. Probably go with these or, based on reviews, PR3's as I realise tyre is majority of costs. So one hours labour on top of cost of tyre?

Pics:

https://s22.postimg.org/5aa5nxks1/FR1.jpg

https://s7.postimg.org/add2mqyob/FR2.jpg

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing 180 stoppies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Been doing 180 stoppies?

Previous owner may have been athletic, I just about push it up the path with a full tank of fuel and luggage without ending up as a mattress in a patch of grass for the bike to rest on.

Laughing

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change mine at 2mm even though 1mm u.k. law.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd change that. You could eke hundreds (or more) miles out of it, but you're on the countdown to needing to do it. The bike will turn in betterer with rounded rubbed on it, women will want you, men will want to be you, etc.

You can't take the loose wheel in?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You can't take the loose wheel in?

<excuses at the ready>

I could but I'm not convinced that leaving the bike on the centre stand unattended in public view in a not well to do neighbourhood is a good idea.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look ok to me.

Of course you may want to take that with a pinch of salt as back in the day we'd ride around with the canvas of the tyre underneath visible.

T even turned up with the steel belts poking out.

While K turned up with a de-laminated tyre

Myself with BT45s I took a stanley knife to them and cut myself some extra tread.

Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

I could but I'm not convinced that leaving the bike on the centre stand unattended in public view in a not well to do neighbourhood is a good idea.

Then take your bike to the tyre changing place.

Bring some tools of your own or borrow them from the tyre place surprisingly many are quite amiable to this. Take the wheel off yourself and wheel it into the shop. Get new tyre on the rim and put it back again.

This sort of thing is quite common.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what price they quote before I decided if to live on pot noodles or not. I don't mind paying for convince, or laziness, if the price is right. I did clean my brakes pre spring and saved many monies, it always too good to last.

New front and rear at the same time?

3/4mm on the rear. I r disappoint.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I'll see what price they quote before I decided if to live on pot noodles or not. I don't mind paying for convince, or laziness, if the price is right. I did clean my brakes pre spring and saved many monies, it always too good to last.

#

It's not so much being cheapo. It was more with tyre places being so incredibly busy that they simply didn't have the time to do ride in ride out. So they'd only do loose wheels. As a compromise they would loan you the tools to make your wheels loose on-site.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
It's not so much being cheapo. It was more with tyre places being so incredibly busy that they simply didn't have the time to do ride in ride out. So they'd only do loose wheels. As a compromise they would loan you the tools to make your wheels loose on-site.

I was going to phone my trusted indepdant rather than just a tyre place.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick phone call, sorted.

£265 all in providing there's no problems.

Just under a weeks wait because work and sounds like I'll leave bike with them. Huh rah to taking the bus in full gear, trip down memory lane of what it's like to own the Arrow again.

Think I'll celebrate by spending more money.

edit: Oh, PR3's. Here's to hoping they're worth it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the PR3's, but preferred the PR2's for the sake of feel (I think, subjectively of course, the 3's have more outright grip than the 2's though).

Bit late now but I would also change that - just for the sake that it'll feel nicer.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Never done it yet.

NJD wrote:

And you're replacing it? Eh?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather get a brand new set on in one go while I've got the cash.

Worse case I try and flog it to the guys at the shop, to get a discount, or go back and try and sell it on eBay.

Or leave it gathering dust like the Arrow's forks lying around.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:58 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my rear a few days ago (well, I had it done, being not willing to jump on spades in the garden again), and 2 of its wear indicators were right level with the non-grooved surface of the tyre. The tyre had worn very unevenly, but 2 wear indicators down was enough. Your tyre looks like it's in good condition. 3/4 mm left on it and no damage or repairs? Surprising you're considering changing. Are you sure that little bit of rubber is one of the wear indicators? My rear was a Dunlop as well, and its wear indicators were broad, well-defined humps. Their locations should be indicated on the side of the tyre wall.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

NJD wrote:

Stash it away as a spare for when funds are short.

I'd replace both in the OP's situation. He's only just moved up from small bikes, and I'd want to know what the bike feels like at it's best, and good new rubber is a big part of that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Rather get a brand new set on in one go while I've got the cash.

Worse case I try and flog it to the guys at the shop, to get a discount, or go back and try and sell it on eBay.

Or leave it gathering dust like the Arrow's forks lying around.

Cash doesn't just disappear. Keep it in an envelope under the mattress until the rear is worn out

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep shopping around, two new Dunlop qualis, fitted, balanced, new valves, £155. Were on loose wheels but I can't see the tyre shop charging £100 to remove them.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change that, sportmax are not great even new, and I like 2mm+ on the front, often change early.

I'd suggest getting the PR4 instead, it is a better tire. When I last looked they cost the same (but discontinued PR2's are quite a bit cheaper and still good). I am only using these on the front through winter, but rear all year round. For spring and summer, a better tire is the supercorsa or racetec front.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally run PR4s. Big fan of them. I don't wear them to the limit though they usually start to square before that because my commute is fairly straight. When they square enough that the handling becomes affected then they go in the bin. I wore the last set longer to squeeze as much as I could out of them but having just fitted a new pair the difference in handling is massive. It's so much more nimble, predictable and stable with the fresh pair so I won't be squeezing them out again.

I tend to replace both at the same time for that reason, as the front gets square and poo poos the handling before it's properly low. If I was on a really tight budget I'd probably live with them longer but I don't mind spending money on tyres. I got about 7k on the last set. If I was just commuting I'd probably have been tempted to keep them on longer but I ride a lot on my days off and it was reducing the fun a bit.

I'm assuming 3/4mm on the rear means 3 quarters rather than 3 or 4mm.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delayed response is delayed.

While I can't really put into words why I feel more comfortable with replacing the pair I think chickenstrip hits the nail on the head somewhat. While I'm not new to motorbikes tyres up to this point have meant naff all to me so putting a brand new pair on of equal tread and condition is what I'd feel better of riding with rather than one outperforming the other and so on.

I could have gone for a Dunlop Sportmax Qualifer front and saved much monies but the PR3's have good reviews for warm up times, mileage and grip in both the wet and dry. At the very least they're a good starting point to see, over time, what tyres I prefer moving forward. I doubt I'll do enough miles to render the PR3's replacing any time soon unless I get a puncture, accident or they turn out to be not for me.. of which the last one I can't imagine. Feels like a safe first option.

I remember on Meef's thread I said the Dunlop Sportmax Qualifer wasn't all that bad in crap weather while he's tyres where skipping around all of the place putting him off riding. Tis true they've done their job thus far and got me to work in 5 degree's or thereabouts but that's being careful. Why not try something else, not like its bankrupting me to do so.

Haven't really looked at the rear but last time I used tread depth it was a solid 3mm all around rather than the front hitting the red line of the gauge and reading 2mm at best in the centre.

Not really sure that I'll need a scrubbed rear. Probably bring it home and at worst keep it until I sell the bike if not needed before then.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PR3s really are an excellent tyre, it's a decent choice Thumbs Up

Changing as a pair is something a lot of people do. Over time though, you come to realise that front and rear often wear at different rates and it's better to replace when needed.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I was unsure if he meant "3 or 4" or "three quarters" Very Happy

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I was unsure if he meant "3 or 4" or "three quarters" Very Happy

Why did no one tell the newbie to measure the tread depth at the wear bar indicators and not willy nilly. Basics people basics. Although in fairness, as pictured (red circle, bottom picture), there's hardly anything left of some of them.

There was a problem with the camera and the sun kept going in and out so it makes it look like I've got chickenstrips, sorry about that.

Still got a nice round-ish profile and tread on so probably chuck in the garden. Hadn't looked at it properly in daylight for a while.

https://s27.postimg.org/6ed5pync3/WR2.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/grm6sbmlr/WR3.jpg

https://s24.postimg.org/629brvh9x/WR1.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2