Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is my licence correct??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

richard1964
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Is my licence correct?? Reply with quote

Urgent advice needed about my licence, Has DVLA balls up with my licence? Can anyone tell me what the rear of my licence should say when i have a FULL unrestricted bike licence.

Cut a long story short Ive had a full UK car licence since 1983, Ive also previously been riding a 125cc (with CBT every 2 years) for the last 7 years.

I passed my unrestricted test about 3 months ago, I was born in Britain but im part South African and took my unrestricted test (and passed while over there for 2 years) I came back to the UK to live and because I already have a FULL UK driving licence since the early 80's I obviously forwarded to DVLA all documentation to prove that I had passed my bike test in SA. I understand that SA has an agreement with the UK therefore my test pass was recognised by the UK (as it was confirmed by the DVLA)

Well ive had my licence back and too be honest it doesn't look right, can anyone advise please?

Not sure how to post a photo on here but the rear of my licence has for motorcycle...

Cat "A" 19:01:17 ... 12:08:34 It also has a code 79(tri)

Is this right?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:18 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Is my licence correct?? Reply with quote

richard1964 wrote:
Urgent advice needed about my licence, Has DVLA balls up with my licence? Can anyone tell me what the rear of my licence should say when i have a FULL unrestricted bike licence.

Cut a long story short Ive had a full UK car licence since 1983, Ive also previously been riding a 125cc (with CBT every 2 years) for the last 7 years.

I passed my unrestricted test about 3 months ago, I was born in Britain but im part South African and took my unrestricted test (and passed while over there for 2 years) I came back to the UK to live and because I already have a FULL UK driving licence since the early 80's I obviously forwarded to DVLA all documentation to prove that I had passed my bike test in SA. I understand that SA has an agreement with the UK therefore my test pass was recognised by the UK (as it was confirmed by the DVLA)

Well ive had my licence back and too be honest it doesn't look right, can anyone advise please?

Not sure how to post a photo on here but the rear of my licence has for motorcycle...

Cat "A" 19:01:17 ... 12:08:34 It also has a code 79(tri)

Is this right?

This link will explain the code.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=79+(TRI)

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got an A2 entitlement there.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

79 (tri) denotes a restriction to trikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:03 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

What? Why?

You don't have a licence to ride a motorcycle in the UK. DVLA have screwed you over. They're kind of racist that way.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 18 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
dydey90 wrote:

What? Why?

You don't have a licence to ride a motorcycle in the UK. DVLA have screwed you over. They're kind of racist that way.

Purely based on the fact of that's what my licence said when I only had A2 under completely different circumstances.

richard1964
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Licence Reply with quote

Still none the wiser. Maybe DVLA have balls things up here then! so ive been riding around since jan WITHOUT the proper licence!!! Mad

So... i understand then that having 79(tri) next to the "A" category on my licence means that its a provisional?? where in reality i suppose this should NOT be here as I have unrestricted licence? e.g just the start and end dates in column next to it?

Like I said Im 52 (white by the way) lol,born and lived all my life in the UK, held car licence since early 80's took my unrestricted test while over in Cape Town for a year and passed, Came back to UK and gave DVLA all necessary documents to change my licence so I should be entitled to ride ANY size bike I wish.

what the f**k are DVLA playing at.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:26 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Licence Reply with quote

richard1964 wrote:
Still none the wiser. Maybe DVLA have balls things up here then! so ive been riding around since jan WITHOUT the proper licence!!! Mad

So... i understand then that having 79(tri) next to the "A" category on my licence means that its a provisional?? where in reality i suppose this should NOT be here as I have unrestricted licence? e.g just the start and end dates in column next to it?

Like I said Im 52 (white by the way) lol,born and lived all my life in the UK, held car licence since early 80's took my unrestricted test while over in Cape Town for a year and passed, Came back to UK and gave DVLA all necessary documents to change my licence so I should be entitled to ride ANY size bike I wish.

what the f**k are DVLA playing at.

The DVLA are useless.

When I did my direct access there was a chap who had to do all of his tests again because the DVLA removed the category A entitlement from his driving licence. It was just an administrative error, but because he had no proof it was ever there, it was tough, he had to sit the lot again!

If they can't manage something simple, they definitely can't be trusted to add a cat A entitlement issued in another country!

Good luck getting it all resolved though Thumbs Up

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These threads pop up entirely too often. Sad

Sucks to be OP, I'm hoping if I find myself in his situation that my original pass documentation and if I happen to find an old license that I've lost previously, it should be enough to prove my entitlements. Praying
Law noob here, can the DVLA actually be taken to court over such matters?

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:46 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely certain that UK licnces do totally respect SA entitlements.
It may have changed since 1987, when I did my Pt1 Test with a South African lad who'd been caught riding a GSXR750 on his SA entitlement and was told to get a UK licence in a hurry; whih probably didn't mean pnning the throttle of his H100 on training and dissapearing into the sunset...! Had another at Uni, who was disaponted he couldn't ride a CR500 around Coventry like he did the field bikes back home, and was most uncompleentary about an XL125.... Is describng a SitIfrikin 'Mad' tautology, still?

However, the "Tri" restriction applied to the 'A' entitlement you have been awarded is for trikes and three wheeler, that until a couple of years ago were covered by car entitlement. Lots of folk have bee given it, when updating their car licences and think it means they can ride a Ninja-Busa-Blade without passing tests..... no, sorry, it doesn't, means they can drive a Reliant Robin!

So... would seem you have't been awarded full, 'solo' motorcycle entitlement... which may be a cock-up, but could also be because of the reg changes, and SA motorcycle test not, historically being recognized by DVLA, and clamp-down on 'licence tourists' who played the game a few years back taking lower standard tests in places like Portugal under EU rules, where recognitions did leave some loop-holes.

You might try argue the toss with DVLA... but if you are 52, you only have 17/18 years until your licence expires anyway.. I wouldn't be too optimstic of sorting it, before you have to send in doctor notes to say you dot have alziemers!

Alternatively; you can bite the bullet ad book a DAS course and do UK tests, which may be gauling, but, how bad and how quick do you want that entitlement?

As is reasoably high risk is that they pick up the plate on ANPR and the system does a data-base trawl if regstered keeper, and registered keeper's licence entitlement; you could get tugged ad loose ALL licence entitlement for riding other than in accordance, and you stand more chance of winning argument with DVLA by post, than you do copper with computer confirmed 'win' on the screen, at the side of the road.

Your call... but licence code, isn't a bike licence, its the trike/3-wheeler entitlement of your car licence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

richard1964
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:29 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I'm not entirely certain that UK licnces do totally respect SA entitlements.
It may have changed since 1987, when I did my Pt1 Test with a South African lad who'd been caught riding a GSXR750 on his SA entitlement and was told to get a UK licence in a hurry; whih probably didn't mean pnning the throttle of his H100 on training and dissapearing into the sunset...! Had another at Uni, who was disaponted he couldn't ride a CR500 around Coventry like he did the field bikes back home, and was most uncompleentary about an XL125.... Is describng a SitIfrikin 'Mad' tautology, still?

However, the "Tri" restriction applied to the 'A' entitlement you have been awarded is for trikes and three wheeler, that until a couple of years ago were covered by car entitlement. Lots of folk have bee given it, when updating their car licences and think it means they can ride a Ninja-Busa-Blade without passing tests..... no, sorry, it doesn't, means they can drive a Reliant Robin!

So... would seem you have't been awarded full, 'solo' motorcycle entitlement... which may be a cock-up, but could also be because of the reg changes, and SA motorcycle test not, historically being recognized by DVLA, and clamp-down on 'licence tourists' who played the game a few years back taking lower standard tests in places like Portugal under EU rules, where recognitions did leave some loop-holes.

You might try argue the toss with DVLA... but if you are 52, you only have 17/18 years until your licence expires anyway.. I wouldn't be too optimstic of sorting it, before you have to send in doctor notes to say you dot have alziemers!

Alternatively; you can bite the bullet ad book a DAS course and do UK tests, which may be gauling, but, how bad and how quick do you want that entitlement?

As is reasoably high risk is that they pick up the plate on ANPR and the system does a data-base trawl if regstered keeper, and registered keeper's licence entitlement; you could get tugged ad loose ALL licence entitlement for riding other than in accordance, and you stand more chance of winning argument with DVLA by post, than you do copper with computer confirmed 'win' on the screen, at the side of the road.

Your call... but licence code, isn't a bike licence, its the trike/3-wheeler entitlement of your car licence.

Thanks for the in depth info Mike... so it does look like that the DVLA have F****d up then by the looks of things. I did speak with DVLA before I sent my licence to them to be altered for a full bike entitlement and they did actually confirm that SA was one of the countries that they DO recognise the tests as it is almost identical to ours. Places like China / India etc the UK doesnt recognise the test as its a farce and easy to pass.. Looks like its time to battle it out with DVLA

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:00 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard1964 wrote:
Looks like its time to battle it out with DVLA

Unfortunately there is no battle, your only option is to redo the tests.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:14 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we prevent this from happening btw? Keep our pass documents and scan our license?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:21 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard1964 wrote:
Thanks for the in depth info Mike...

You must be... oh, you are new here.

Did you exchange your SA license for a UK one, or just send in your UK one in along with your Saffer bike pass in the hope that DVLA would add category A?

In the former case, then yes, I think you should have got A.

In the latter, I can't see anything that promises that they'll do so.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my car licence recently and the examiner made a point of getting me to scan and save copies of my old licence, all pass certs for all tests. Old paper parts. The lot.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
I passed my car licence recently and the examiner made a point of getting me to scan and save copies of my old licence, all pass certs for all tests. Old paper parts. The lot.

DVLA would totally ignore it all anyway, it's not official documentation unless it's the original. Best advice I'd seen is to state current licence is lost and then if there's bother you can mystically find it again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:36 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
How do we prevent this from happening btw? Keep our pass documents and scan our license?

You can't it doesn't matter what you throw at them they'll tell you to fuck off, IIRC they done it to a couple of police riders and even with all the documentation to back them up they still said "Not our problem, redo your tests or stop riding".

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:

You can't it doesn't matter what you throw at them they'll tell you to fuck off, IIRC they done it to a couple of police riders and even with all the documentation to back them up they still said "Not our problem, redo your tests or stop riding".

Citation needed /Borg but my understanding is that if you throw an official, genuine, licence at them as evidence they're hard pushed to refute it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:32 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
tom_e wrote:

Citation needed /Borg but my understanding is that if you throw an official, genuine, licence at them as evidence they're hard pushed to refute it.

Bureaucratic Bull & Red tape gymnastics verses British Common law.... I believe its a battle being raged since Magna Carta....

But I have a recollection that DVLA's law unto themselves, 'policy' over not accepting non-original documents was challenged 'sort of' successfully... though I dont recall where/when/what.

Argument was that DVLA's demanded level of 'proof' was higher than that of UK law, who 'do' accept both photographic 'evidence' as well as, not only accept photocopied documents in submission, but actually 'request' evidence in photocopy.

ISTR the crux was that if a UK court not only made ruling on photocopy evidence, but issued and expected photocopied court orders to be respected, then DVLA's policy not to consider photocopy was to place themselves above the law, demanding a higher level of 'proof'.

Ie: If a Judge issued court order against DVLA to say release records of who was the registered keeper of a car between certain dates, that order would be issued as a photocopy, the original order maintained in court records, then should DVLA maintain their arbitrary policy to NOT recognize photocopy documents, then that wouldn't be any defense against a charge of contempt of court.

As I recall, conclusion was about as convoluted as DVLA red tape; and they maintained thier 'policy' not to accept photo-copy 'with exceptions' where "providence" was not in dispute; eg officially notorised copies of legal docs... which gt them round any direct contradiction of BCL and demanding greater burden of 'proof' whilst offering ever greater ambiguity to pic and choose what they would accept.

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:

Did the examiner 'sign' the photo-copies, and/or was there a checklist or anything on the pass cert you should have been given, saying what documents you 'surrendered'?

OTMH this was one of the linchpins; in so far that DVLA actually request and use 'photographic' evidence in conjunction wth the licence application, when they ask for a pass-port photo of the licence holder!! More they actually list who may 'notorise' on the back that it's a reasonable likeness, ie school-teacher, policeman, doctor etc!!! So a signed 'receipt' of surrendered documents signed by a Driving Test Examiner, aught be pretty irrefutable... and yet... they may still refute it!

So conclusion, if there ever can be one a far as DVLA are concerned is... they remain a law unto themselves!

arry wrote:
Best advice I'd seen is to state current licence is lost and then if there's bother you can mystically find it again.

Practically? Yes.

In the myrad of red-tape gymnastics though; a) they no longer print all details on your 'hard' licence, and rely on thier own data-base.... scary enough to suggest you should NEVER surrender docs, kep all, esp at point of test, where you probably should 'elect' to submit paperwork yourself and keep your old licence & certs and get them copied AND if you can notorised as a true likeness of original, seen by notary... any-one on the list of folk that can sign a pass-port photo! before posting them off b) It's still no guarantee they will accept anything they dont choose to!

and C) when issued a replacement there is caveot in the covering letter that demands that you 'must' destroy the 'lost' original should it be re-discovered... offering a catch 22 that if you show a 'lost' original as 'proof', they may loose the argument to refuse to accept that evidence, but lay yourself open to having obtained replacement by deception!

Which reminds me... I really ought to destroy my that licence I lost in 1989, that turned up when my gran died in 2006.. (she was a bit of a bugga for stealing cloths to make up loads of laundry!)... But I seem to have 'lost' it again.. I know it's in the house 'somewhere' Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1