Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can't drill into stud

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:47 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Because you'll laugh at me. And it's ok, the thread can die now.

That's like some-one stood in a sewer, saying "No, I don't want to come out of the sewer, it's raining outside, I might get wet"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:16 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/meme-tears-rainingtears.jpg

What engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
I've wondered why does an m8 broken bolt need a specific larger size screw extractor- why can't you just make a small 3mm drillbit hole and then use the smaller extractor which matches the 3mm drill

If you stick a 3mm extractor into a stuck 8mm stud and apply torque, then you'll have a stuck 8mm stud with a nice snapped off hardened 3mm centre stuck in it.

Drill out as much of the stud as possible before going in with the biggest extractor that will fit.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to try and add some sensible advice in here, as i can't see that it has been mentioned before, but make sure you are using the slowest speed on your drill (if indeed it does have a speed setting)

And as mentioned above, make sure it's spinning the right way (clockwise)

I fear if you have just gone hell for leather at full speed with no cutting fluid, applying a shit load of pressure, you may have killed the drill bit, and only a re-sharpening will resurrect it

If i am doing a serious bit of drill into steel, i ensure i have a few of each size drill bit as it only takes the drill bit to get a bit too hot to locally soften it and blunt the cutting tip

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blokes drilling out a stud just like I have been selected by the commitee to represent the UK in the Eurovision
song contest. My track entitled, 'Where did I put my sock' got a unanimous vote. Rolling Eyes

https://i.imgflip.com/1lss0b.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there's definitely an imbecile in this process... Wink

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:59 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Arcane1729 wrote:

No they dont. It's a stud. Made of hardened steel.

Is it bollocks, they never are. Just because YOU can't drill it doesn't mean it's hardened.

TBF it probably is hardened now I Imagine running the drill reverse in hammer trying to cut through it would create a lot of heat, add to that a dollop of cooling cutting paste to cool it down... Laughing

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:39 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the exhaust stud on that Kymco, they are in fact 6mm and surprisingly replacements are advertised as hardened.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! i'm not mad, far from it. Just bored of the constant barrage of good advice and tips that you seem, at least at first, to ignore whilst asking similar questions over and over.

Google is your friend. I often wonder how people coped without t'interweb. Its one of the reasons i am in awe at the old school engineers who built trains/heavy machinery and the like. No google to quickly cross reference part numbers etc. Problems got solved by thinking them through and trial and error.

Skip forward a few years and, despite the entire internet as your resource as well as the assistance of many, we have someone like you whose failed to grasp simple concepts, even down to simply realising that some people on this forum with years of exp working with bikes are offering solutions to problems you are creating.

I've marked some of your posts as SPAM. Because that's what they are IMO.

and no, i don't know it all. I didn't have a father to teach me about bikes/cars or mechanical principles. I learned by thinking something through and when not sure, i turned to the wonderful resource we know as the internet.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
I'll pretend to be another user so you'll know Arcane is secretly in the midst but won't be exactly sure who.

sock

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/1/13/Dirty-socks2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060531024455

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:23 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the engine?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
So what is the engine?

Fuck knows but probably scrap by now.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

The drill and the bits do most of the work- all I'm doing is pointing it in- there's no way I can be much of a factor- it's got to be the bits I'm sorry and the material of the stud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjhs-0kFl8
At 5:20 of the video he's not even pointing it dead straight or using any skill or anything- it's all over the place yet it's slicing through like a knife through butter... that's what I want.

They don't make hardened studs unless there's a very good reason because they lose their ductility and are very prone to snapping if there's the slightest knock or sideways force. Also when you harden stuff the size often changes so you end up with a stud that's wonderfully hard which the nut won't fit. Even if the nut does fit the threads on the stud become very brittle and can crumble away when tightening the nut especially if the nut holding the spanner is a bit heavy handed.

They might be stainless, which incidentally isn't usually much if any harder than your average fastener BUT if you try to drill it with a blunt drill or too fast or with not enough pressure it will work-harden very quickly and then you ARE in a lot of bother coz it goes hard as glass.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:58 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe there is a 6 page thread because a guy doesn't know how to drill a hole in a stud. Christ Very Happy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

why have I got images of someone chasing an engine all over the floor trying to drill it and everytime he trys it moves some more Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:24 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right!

Positive mental attitude.

Post some photos.

Let's do this thing!

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Pete. wrote:
BUT if you try to drill it with a blunt drill or too fast or with not enough pressure it will work-harden very quickly and then you ARE in a lot of bother coz it goes hard as glass.

This is just stainless steel right?

Any steel is hardened by a heating and cooling cycle, stainless steel especially so.

PS listen to pete

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
They might be stainless, which incidentally isn't usually much if any harder than your average fastener BUT if you try to drill it with a blunt drill or too fast or with not enough pressure it will work-harden very quickly and then you ARE in a lot of bother coz it goes hard as glass.

If he hardens it enough, he can smash it out with a hammer Wink

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of threads were entertaining, but this is getting a bit tiresome.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Fuck me I didn't know you could spend that much on drill bits

2. I have drilled through lots of 316 stainless steel with cobalt drills. They're better than HSS in every way.

3. Have you centre punched?

4. Have you?

5. What did you use for a centre punch and did you hit it properly? If you don't leave a nice big dent then the drill has no material to start off with.

6. Please post a picture of the stud. Nobody cares what engine it is, blur out the irrelevant parts if you need to but there may be something stopping you that's obvious to somebody more experienced, but not to you.

7. List to Pete, he's been there done it, got the T-shirt, worn the T-shirt, worn out the T-shirt and now uses the T-shirt as a fishing net.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

INB4 - Lol it's a lawnmower.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9