Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can't drill into stud

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:26 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

loads of helpful stuff in there thanks.

Really? I thought it was patronising, self aggrandising, spitefully discouraging and it devolved into petty sneering deliberately designed to keep you in your place as a helpless supplicant suckling fruitlessly at the sour dry teat of knowledge.

Even Smiler had enough of his abuse eventually.

Most of it was already covered. Cobalt bits, a good deep punch, start small, lubricate, and be patient. If the bit isn't biting, don't push - it's a great way to snap a small bit. Take the first-anal approach: lube, penetrate gently and just a little, withdraw, repeat a until your shaft is good and buried. Keep checking that you're in the right hole going in good and straight.

A cordless isn't ideal. I'd far rather use a mains drill for this purpose. However, it should work if the bits are good enough. Be prepared to recharge it a few times though.

You'll get it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:32 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some-one who knows what they are doing to do the job!

Hand me that sledge hammer and a pack of stickit notes.

You dont have the know-how to tackle this job. You dont have the tools to tackle this job. You will not 'learn' to do a job you haven't been taught to do, fuckig it and likely your self and a few tools in the process.

What you are doing is a desaster waiting to happen. You are moments away from drilling through your own hand and getting a snapped drill bit n your face or eye!! As well as completely fucking up an engine!!

Find some-one like Pete, who I dont think is that far away fro you, and does have the tool-room teaching and the tool room tools to do this job, and probably in less time that it would take you to make sure you have the drill switched to turn the right way, ad is PROBABLY more than willing to let you watch and give you a bit of teaching, whilst he's about it.

But.. YOU here and now, dont have the know-how; you dont have the tools, and you dont even have the common sense to accept that, even if it IS selotaped to a sledge hammer to get t into your head!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
Are you using any kind of cutting fluid / oil?

Of course you're not.

Yes you said it- of course not. Would that make a difference? How big a difference?
Drilling is making very little more progress right now Sad
I am trying my best to drill dead straight with engine in one hand combi drill in the other

Toolstation cutting fluid is a few quid.
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Cutting+%26+Drilling+Cooling+Lubricant/p75018

Keeps the drill cooler - once it over heats it dulls quickly and does not cut nearly so well. Find yourself some youtube videos to watch on drilling metal, and while you're at it, how to remove broken bolts.

In b4 I have arc welder, can I ground through the fuel tank?

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:10 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to tell us about the engine....

Either:

- you have been torturing your poor CBR some more

or

- having failed to become an Uber driving Deliveroo millionaire you have set yourself up as a bike mechanic and this engine belongs to an unsuspecting victim that believes your stories about offering bike advice on the internet

Which is it? Fess up right now!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Cobalt bits

HSS not gonna do it?

Ain't nobody got time fo' that.

I'm a cheap bastard Scotch, but cheap bits really are a false economy.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cordless drill will be fail. Most drill bits have a chisel point, need pressure to push the metal out of the way - this part does not cut. Pressure should suit the size of bit and the amount of metal it has to displace.

Start with a 3mm bit. Chose the next bit where the hole is bigger than the chisel point. Small increments it will ruin the bits.

A sharp cobalt or carbide bit will have a hole drilled in 20 seconds. If it takes longer you are doing it wrong. If you dont know what your doing either get somone else to do it or get some scrap and practise.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 22:37 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that normally with gimps on BCF bad advice is given to make us lol. With this window-licker you can give him perfect advice and still get the same affect.

My honest advice, stop buying tools, you aren't cut out to be a mechanic. Putting all this on a credit card is stupid. Pay people to do this work it will be cheaper and better for you.

Actual advice to do the job (so I can lol when you fuck it)

Stop holding the engine - Clamp it to a bench.
Use the smallest bit you have and work up.
Stop using the hammer function, it's for fucking walls not metal.
Use a punch to start.
Use some lube.
Don't use lots of pressure.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use an SDS drill.

https://rs16.pbsrc.com/albums/b4/Bellwitch/Cat%20Macros/Macros%20made%20by%20others/Superseriouscat.jpg~c200

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:42 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wankeroo1729 wrote:

Yeah I'm using a G-clamp with my desk now.

I don't think anyone is convinced you can tell the difference between a G-clamp and a g-string

wrote:
You really have to tell us about the engine....

No.

gwangwangwangwangwan

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'wan
Show/tell us about the engine

We wont laugh or poor scorn on your pathetic half assed projects
this is BCF we're all supporting and loving here,
honest.

Would we lie to you?
Would we?

https://kittentoob.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/cute-kittens91.jpg

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
They weren't cheap- that's why I seriously believed they were the best you could get- they were also dewalt and the word "extreme" seemed very convincing and the fact I couldn't find anything actually better with my poor googling skills and the great reviews.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-extreme-2-hss-drill-bit-set-29pc/20064

you paid SEVENTY PONDS for those?!?!? Laughing

These are far better. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222430623306

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:15 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who does this sock account belong to? Come on, own up!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:34 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Everybody takes the piss- but there's always a hint of comedy there- yours I feel is always intended to damage

If you were watching a 3 year old trying to tick a fork into a 3pin plug socket, would you
a) say carry on, this'll be a laugh, he'll only do that once, and pull up a chair to watch
b) try and make a joke out of taking the fork off him, in case he didn't like you any more, knowing he'd find it a great game and go get anther fork to play with over
c) YELL LOUDLY at him and risk his crying, and telling mummy you nasty sitter..... but NOT have to explain in casualty why they have a fried baby?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef, you're asking him common sense questions that you know he can't answer.

Stop being a bullying meanie.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Why are they £9 then?

Supply and demand. Most people know that hss-co is far better than plain and it does not cost a large amount extra to make. However solid carbide, they cost a bit if buying new.. They are the best, but fragile if not used in a proper machine.

I suggest you get a refund. And pics of this future hole you are intending to make.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:31 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Why are they £9 then?

I would say - one born every minute - but I suspect Mr Arcane is much more special than that

Good job you are not broke....Oh hang on....

Put some pictures up of the actual job. There may well be something else we can suggest

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:40 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We host a BBQ every year.

You need to attend so we can milk you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Not sure what your problem is or why you are desperate to prove that the skillset I have is not of much worth in the real world. It clearly is?

Crack on then, you got this fam.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Like I said, this is well above your pay grade. STOP, and find some-one who can do the job properly, ad if you are really really keen and enthusiastic, ask them if you can watch how they do it, to 'learn' something, rather than blindly attacking poor unsuspecting bits of metal with ignorance and a battery operated screw-driver!!

But this is the same MATHS Uni student that didn't want to pay £110 for a new set of keys after losing his last one Rolling Eyes
Yet then went on to spend far much more and fucking the bike up.....

So it really does make you wonder about the quality of uni students, especially one doing maths, who can't work out a simple costing exercise.....

And also the total lack of common sense in some people....

Maybe this guy is another who charges his i-phone in the bath Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9