Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike theft protest

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Bike theft protest Reply with quote

I know several Bcf members are going to the ride in london on 1st April.
Any others I don't speak to planning on taking part?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukmtp/
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was posted in South East group

UKMTP Protest Ride 1st April

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I go as pillion? My bike was thefted. Laughing

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:04 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering going, bit of a ride from over in Bristol but might be worth it.

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:13 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Can I go as pillion? My bike was thefted. Laughing

Yes. All are welcome.
There are leaflets to give to pedestrians.
Grab a few at one of the meet points.
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:17 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKMTP wrote:
There has been an exponential increase in bike thefts over the last 2 years, up by more than 50%

You keep using that word...

UKMTP wrote:
UK based action group working towards forcing a change in the laws associated with motorcycle crime, pursuit and prosecution.

Maybe a special law that says you can use unreasonable force if you're pursuing a moped?

No law change is needed. The changes required are in policing priorities, approved procedures, CPS willingness to prosecute, and judicial sentencing guidelines.

MAG rage-rides, ineffectual as they are, typically have a specific, defined goal. This does not appear to have one.

Like the MAG protests, I can't see the connection between this rage-ride and achieving whatever it is that they want to see happening.

London is always being ground to a halt by revolting peasants. How often does that result in a change in policy or law?

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting, will have to check with the boss if I can make it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:48 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
I'm considering going, bit of a ride from over in Bristol but might be worth it.

Not worth it.

Tbf, until you actually get punished for it... nothing will change.

A ride out to dead bike thief land might be a laugh, taking a dump on his shrine etc, but it won't change anything.

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not mag.
It's not a protest ride.
It's trying to get public awareness.
Bikers are scum as far as perception goes, nobody gives a toss.
If the general public realised it affects them as well, they might start asking the right people why it's allowed to continue.

It's a group of bikers with no pro complaining experience, pissed off about the rising bike crime and are trying to do something.
There isn't a manual, just ideas and getting off arse and doing something.

Sitting at home saying 'nothing will change' is a guaranteed way to ensure nothing will change.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:28 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
Sitting at home saying 'nothing will change' is a guaranteed way to ensure nothing will change.

From the eyes of a bike disliking middle aged woman...

I'd rather my excessively loud bike didn't destroy the ears of the innocent and take up the road space on a saturday in a busy area of London in a large threatening group when all I want to do is nip round town in my VW Up sorting out young Farquhar and Joachim's haircuts.

But maybe thats just me. buy bigger locks and stop leaving bikes for people to take easily. Ain't no way I'd buy a Panigale and take it anywhere near London or any other main town/city without at least an almax and a solid chaining spot/

A fucking disk lock and bicycle chain is just lol worthy and you can expect your Fireblade to be gone at that rate within minutes.

Until I can strap a grenade to my lock, I'll secure it with the heaviest I can carry, and yes, you can carry an almax with ease, even 2...

I get the reasoning behind it, I just don't support the ride because its just a group of bikers going to congest and annoy. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it as a bad idea as long as you don't inconvenience other road users. As soon as you start pissing people off you have lost any sympathy they had for you. (not that they gave a flying fuck anyway).

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:54 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
It's not mag.
It's not a protest ride.
It's trying to get public awareness...

I wonder if the public will support thieves because that will prevent motorbikes from blocking their route through London in future?

Fucking people off does not make them supportive of your cause.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:02 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
It's not a protest ride.

UKMTP wrote:

Marmalade wrote:
Bikers are scum as far as perception goes

How is snarling up London (more than usual) going to improve that?

Oh, and good luck stopping the usual suspects from doing wheelies and revbombs and generally riding like #BaykLaf.

Marmalade wrote:
If the general public realised it affects them as well

How? That's the key argument that needs to be made. UKMTP don't appear to be making it:

This is their (revised) flyer:

https://i.imgur.com/QkjErOz.png?1

Maybe there's more on their site?

https://ukmtp.co.uk/ukmtp-manifesto/ in its entirety:

"To force change in regard to laws and legislation in regard to motorcycle theft, pursuit and prosecution."

Oh, laws and legislation. Again, the wrong target.

Why would anyone else care?

The argument is not being made.

It's not brain science:

Arrow Stolen bikes are used to steal your phones and purses.
Arrow Stolen bikes are ridden in an uninsured, antisocial and dangerous way around your children.
Arrow Stolen bikes drive up your insurance premiums.
Arrow Please contact your local Police and Crime Commissioner (https://www.police.uk/) and MP (https://www.theyworkforyou.com/contact/)

(and yes, I've Facebooked that: "approval pending")

Marmalade wrote:
they might start asking the right people why it's allowed to continue.

The flyers do not advocate that. UKMTP don't provide links to local Police Commissioners, the Mayor's office or theyworkforyou. They don't appear to be asking their own members to contact the right people.

Marmalade wrote:

If we're trading aphorisms: Hope is not a strategy.

I agree with the cause. I want to see things improve. But a protest ride (their words) will not achieve that. Flyers that just explain what the protest is about without advocating lobbying the people who matter will not achieve that.

The reason I go to some lengths to poo-poo this strategy is that it's the same one that didn't work for the No To Bike Parking Tax mob. And they did it in a less cack handed and much more determined, targeted and effective fashion.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:27 - 20 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:

It's trying to get public awareness.
Bikers are scum as far as perception goes, nobody gives a toss.

Is it a good cause? Yes.
Will it make the public aware? Certainly the public in the general vicinity.
It might cause a modicum of apathy in the extreme short term but that's probably all.
Pissing against the wind makes an awful mess, more so while riding your bike.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:04 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really can't see how annoying the general public by protesting about something they care sod all about is going to achieve the desired result.

Doing this on April Fools Day will probably make it appear to be a bad joke.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:14 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main reason for not going is I'm on holiday the next day and will need to go shopping.

Plus, I'm too baklaf for dis. Unless wheelies and excessive revving is encouraged, you might as well go for a jolly ride with C1REX and sign his silly "not in a group" waiver. Laughing

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:26 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
[lots]

How can I put this delicately? This group can be trusted to organise a protest ride. I support the protest ride because I detest bike thieves. However, this isn't the group I'd want to see try to implement any of your other suggestions. It's taken far, far less than that to cause crises in the past. We, here at BCF, could probably do much more to put a stop to the bike theft epidemic, and at some point we're going to have to realise there's nobody else who's going to be able to do it but us.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:09 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
This group can be trusted to organise a protest ride.

Organising the ride isn't the problem, because it's not the solution.

Do they have some sort of secret effective lobbying strategy?

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:24 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Rufous wrote:
This group can be trusted to organise a protest ride.

Organising the ride isn't the problem, because it's not the solution.

Do they have some sort of secret effective lobbying strategy?

Chance would be a fine thing. Lots of claims to the effect that they had secret powers and influence in politics, secret services and the police have been made at various points. All of these turned out to be pure fiction, and it took a lot of effort to root out the rot. That's just the tip of the iceberg, and as for the rest, some decisions that were taken, which you would find astonishing if I were to go into detail (which I won't do, as I want to support them as far as the protest ride goes although no further), are questionable...

In the light of all this, I find it remarkable that they managed to pull off this one organised ride. I congratulate them and commend them for it. Look at people here willing to come down from places like Bristol to join in the ride. A lot of people have their hearts in the right place. But the best thing that could happen after this ride is for everyone to give themselves a well-deserved pat on the back, go home and have a cup of tea. Overlooking the organisational, grammatical, strategic matters under discussion in the hope that something real can be done about bike theft, later and by others.

Last edited by Azoth on 14:37 - 20 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

INB4 someone getting their bike nicked whilst getting a tea.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:41 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
I congratulate them and commend them for [organising a protest ride].

Why is it commendable?

The experience for most protesters will be a long day wearing a wally-bib while stuck in traffic on vehicle-hostile roads and carefully avoiding doing anything that could be remotely considered fun.

All six members of the public who accidentally take the flyer shoved in their face will just shrug and bin it. Nothing will change as a result of this, except to highlight to the protesters that their time and fuel was wasted.

Again: see NTBPT, see MAG rage-rides. This is the same failing strategy being tried again. It is not rational to expect a different result.

I see nothing to congratulate in wasting a day of riders' lives without any plan to turn that effort into results.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:48 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Rufous wrote:
I congratulate them and commend them for [organising a protest ride].

Why is it commendable?

Individuals do things for various reasons, and, occasionally, they surpass others' wildest expectations. It's no secret that the group was originally convened by a young man whose inexperience didn't stop him from defying all expectations and convening a protest ride. On the one hand, you have young people easily impressed or cowed by bike thief scum. On the other, you have young men like him. Something to be commended, in my book. However, carried too far, it just becomes an opportunity for enemies to exploit inexperience. It becomes hard work to keep the ship afloat, when the captain is stretched to the very limit of his ability, and less well-meaning people know it.

I agree entirely with your valid criticisms concerning the ultimate efficacy/inefficacy of such actions as the protest ride on 1st April. MAG rage-rides are a good example. But people need to express their anger. Anger and frustration aren't strategy, but strategists are 1% of the general population, and they have to work with what they have. What we have are people, with all their flaws and emotions. That's why the real work will be the follow-up work to clean up the streets. It won't involve this crowd, but the need to present a united front against the bike thief gangs exists now and will remain in the future.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so negative Roger? You seem to have gone on a bit of a rage ride type yourself here. A one man crusade to pick holes in every aspect of the UKMTP.

A protest ride isn't going to change anything regarding laws and legislation so everyone should just cease, desist, shut up and stay at home. Your one man crusade against this meet isn't going to change anything so why not cease and desist?

It's not often I agree with Tawny, but:

Rufous wrote:
The need to present a united front against the bike thief gangs exists now and will remain in the future.

This sums it up for me. I'm going to an organised event to show exactly this.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going just to get out the bleeding house and meet some peoples...
Bought a nice litre bike, may as well take it out somewhere Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you never know, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will bring along a couple of bike thieves that the angry mob (sorry protesters) can torture and burn in front of the press, that might catch someone's attention Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3