Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Purchase new ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:53 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Purchase new ? Reply with quote

At some point this year my commute is going to change from mostly London too mostly motorway.

My 2004 CDF600 isn't much fun on the motor way and offers little wind protection.

I've have got an eye on a Tracer 700/900

When does it benefit to buy new ?
i'm not super precious about a few bumps and scrapes...
strikes me that a model with a year or two under its belt is going to be just as viable.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Purchase new ? Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

When you want to lose money through depreciation.

Let somebody else do the first lot of servicing and aim for one based on how it's been looked after, rather than age / milleage.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:13 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying outright, traditional hire-purchasing, or PCP-ing?

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:19 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost new might be the way to go. My son just bought (this weekend) a 16 plate Ninja 300 with just 713 miles on the clock. Bike doesn't have a mark on it but significantly cheaper than buying new.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would ever buy new again. These days, there are enough low mileage nearly-new bikes around (that'll likely still be under the manufacturers warranty) that it seems pretty unnecessary to cop for the depreciation of wheeling a new bike into the road in front of the dealer's shop.
Of course, if everyone thought this way, I'd be stuffed.
So feel free to buy new if it's a model I hanker after Thumbs Up

Also, I stacked my FZ750 a week into buying it from new. I would have been less gutted had it been a used bike when I got it. But the feeling of owning a new bike wears off pretty quickly, even when you don't manage to do this.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:22 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:
Almost new might be the way to go. My son just bought (this weekend) a 16 plate Ninja 300 with just 713 miles on the clock. Bike doesn't have a mark on it but significantly cheaper than buying new.

But how was it ridden for those 713 miles.

If it was owned by anyone like me with the servicing efficiency of ArcaneTheAutist, then that engine is scrap already.

Its always a hard choice, for me I'd be wanting to buy new, outright, with a big discount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:26 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Purchase new ? Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

If it is just a toy and the cost isn't a factor and you want a shiny new one that is just yours.

or

If the cost of a second hand one isn't much cheaper and you can get some other perks with a new one; 0% finance being a good example. Less good examples include deals on insurance or accessories, less risk of being ripped off or buying a lemon, the 'peace of mind' of a warranty and no MOT for 3 years, etc.

It doesn't sound like point one applies here, but point 2 might because as already mentioned the bikes you mention are quite new models and quite popular so probably hold their value quite well. Bad time of year to be expecting discounts from dealers though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:28 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:

How much cheaper? £4K seems to be the 0-mile pre-reg price.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
davethekwak wrote:

But how was it ridden for those 713 miles.

If it was owned by anyone like me with the servicing efficiency of ArcaneTheAutist, then that engine is scrap already.

What's a manufacturer's warranty these days? 2 years? So davethekwak's son has a year or more to find out if there're going to be any problems. If the book has been stamped for the first service, I wouldn't worry too much.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:34 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What's a manufacturer's warranty these days? 2 years? So davethekwak's son has a year or more to find out if there're going to be any problems. If the book has been stamped for the first service, I wouldn't worry too much.

It has and we're not worried. He's already put over 300 miles on it and no sign of any issues. Very Happy

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my Pre-Reg RSV4 for £14700. A bargain when you consider the RRP is of £18k.

So much of a bargain in fact, that when it was written off 200 miles later, the insurance company paid out £15800 for it, without me even having to quibble.

So I wandered back to the dealer and bought another, and got an even better deal for buying a second one within 6 weeks! Very Happy

There are many deals to be had on 2016 stock at the moment, especially with the new Euroland regs this year, that meant a lot of dealers have had to pre register stock that won't meet them.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:26 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pcp is playing a big part in this btw too - you can change your bike pretty much whenever you want, for marginal fees. granted you never own the actual bike, but long as you're comfortable with that and knowing you can swap it every year or so.

this is resulting in a lot of new bikes bought on pcp then taken back in (I know a few others who have done this) on relatively low mileage and 'swapped' for a different bike

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:28 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'm not a massive fan of giving money to some finance chap if I can help it.

When i got my ped i was going to purchase out right but they were offering 0% so we took up their offer.

the PCP is sort of interesting but i cant see where they are robbing me.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I'm not a massive fan of giving money to some finance chap if I can help it.

When i got my ped i was going to purchase out right but they were offering 0% so we took up their offer.

When you swap the bike / car for a new one after you reach the halfway point (or the end of the term) - they charge you for any damage you have caused and any miles over your "allowance".

i.e. If your contract says 4k per year and you do 6k per year - if you swap it after 2 years - you have to pay £510 (300miles @ 17p per mile)

That's how I understand the PCP agreements though - happy to be corrected if i'm wrong though.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:49 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

When you swap the bike / car for a new one after you reach the halfway point (or the end of the term) - they charge you for any damage you have caused and any miles over your "allowance".

i.e. If your contract says 4k per year and you do 6k per year - if you swap it after 2 years - you have to pay £510 (300miles @ 17p per mile)

That's how I understand the PCP agreements though - happy to be corrected if i'm wrong though.

you are correct.

however if you are nice and talk to the dealer, they will normally offer to buy the bike back off you for more than what the finance company want back. (the finance company owns the bike). And if the dealer is buying it back there is no mileage restriction (within reason obviously haha!).
So if you decide after the contract (3 -4 years) that you don't want the bike, sell it to the dealer, pay off the finance and get some extra cash in your pocket!

finance company is happy, dealer is happy, you are happy. win win win.

or just keep the bike and refinance it but not on pcp.

or swap it and continue PCP on another bike

just DONT give it back to finance.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even thought about that option! Nice one.

Thumbs Up

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said before. Why buy new when you can buy nearly new? 600 miles on my ex-demo Tracer 700. Saved £699 off RRP (£1,249 post price increase). Played it safe by buying from reputable dealer (registered and serviced by them). So far so good.

Pingoslav
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:17 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always in favor on getting things second hand, as long as it is a premeditated buy. As long as we watch the second-hand market for a bit and we understand the offers, the movement, the good stuff and the rubbish....

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you generally get better rates of finance on new as they are supported by the manufacturer (usually through black horse)

the manufacturer has no interest in you buying a used bike, so no assistance on the finance rate

excess mileage is applicable on a PCP, but when you take one out they ask how many miles you're going to do, say 3000 per annum and the bike has a better residual value so lower payments ,exceed this and the bike is worth less so you have to pay excess mileage, say 6000 miles and the repayments will be higher as they allow for the higher mileage expected when the bike comes back

although you could unplug the speedo sensor and use a GPS as a speedo instead to keep the mileage down...........

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

At the end you are left with nothing, for all the £££ you have laid out. Thumbs Up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:

At the end you are left with nothing, for all the £££ you have laid out. Thumbs Up

the entire point of pcp is that you are only paying the depreciation which you'd lose anyway

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
I think pcp is playing a big part in this btw too -

this is resulting in a lot of new bikes bought on pcp then taken back in (I know a few others who have done this) on relatively low mileage and 'swapped' for a different bike

PCP has been pretty big for a few years. I thought by now there would be an increase in the 1-3yr old low miles bikes for sale. But all I'm still seeing are massively expensive 15-20 year old bikes.

I exaggerate a bit. But still not seeing the influx in volume that PCP should have brought.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3