Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Purchase new ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:29 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's because PCP is only available on bikes upto 5 years old ( or something along those lines)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:37 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many end up just going straight in the back of Nardo's lorry to Elbonia when the finance is over.

They're owned by the finance company, who won't care who buys them.

Dealers don't have any skin in the game, they're just drop off and collection points for the PCP never-never. The "guaranteed future value" actually reduces their ability to screw over owners with derisory trade-in offers. Plus, they get incentives from Honzuki UK to sell new bikes, not used ones.

Honzuki UK will be delighted to have them out of the country. No lingering warranty issues, more new bikes sold.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:05 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last 5 bikes have all been bought new.

Bikes don't depreciate like cars and the way that I buy and use them means that the marginal savings from buying used simply isn't worth it to me.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought 3 brand new bikes, 2 were cash, one was PCP. I'd not buy PCP again. It's too much of a pain in the arse to flip if you don't like it. Better finance deals are available from the bank (3.3% apr for 7k), and you can negotiate a better deal when you're a cash buyer.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

the entire point of pcp is that you are only paying the depreciation which you'd lose anyway

Yes....
So long as you take up another pcp option. Otherwise you are bike less Karma

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
vice wrote:

the entire point of pcp is that you are only paying the depreciation which you'd lose anyway

Yes....

Which is exactly why it is suitable for people who want to ride a new expensive bike every 2-3 years and don't want to have the hassle of trying to sell the last one. What difference does it make if you buy the bike cash lose the depreciation then have to go to the hassle of selling the bike to get back money for the next bike. You still lose the depreciation either way, with pcp you just don't have the hassle of having to find tyre kicking cock wobbles trying to purchase your last ride.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:00 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
you can negotiate a better deal when you're a cash buyer.

Is this still true?

Last couple of times I've been in dealers (car and bike) they didn't care either way. I'm not sure why they would, because either you pay them in full straight away, or the finance company does.

I mean unless we're talking actual sacks of non-sequential unmarked bills at Dodgy Dan's Shipping Crate Emporium.

I've seen it suggested [weasel words] that you might be able to get a better price in return for taking some usurious rate finance deal that pays a kickback to the dealer, then pay it off the moment you get home.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Northern Monkey wrote:
you can negotiate a better deal when you're a cash buyer.

Is this still true?

Last couple of times I've been in dealers (car and bike) they didn't care either way. I'm not sure why they would, because either you pay them in full straight away, or the finance company does.

I mean unless we're talking actual sacks of non-sequential unmarked bills at Dodgy Dan's Shipping Crate Emporium.

I've seen it suggested [weasel words] that you might be able to get a better price in return for taking some usurious rate finance deal that pays a kickback to the dealer, then pay it off the moment you get home.

Not totally sure, however, some empirical evidence suggests that if you turn up to your friendly local honda dealer with £2400 in used fiftys, you can get a Grom for 'sorry mate, thats all the cash I have'

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:01 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So general consensus is this, that and the other.
get it new, get it old, get in on the never never.

I think a nearly new hopefully with factory panniers / top box would be the most attractive.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Bikes don't depreciate like cars and the way that I buy and use them means that the marginal savings from buying used simply isn't worth it to me.

Hmm, not so sure - would like to see the sums on that. But I suppose it's all about what you consider 'marginal', isn't it?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I have it on advice from someone in the VW sales camp... that the above is true.

Always go in and make it known that you want to take out the finance option... They then throw in loads of extras because of the commission from the lender while you are still "hmmm im still not sure..."

Then when it comes to the end and its all agreed... Simply say "actually Ill use this card instead".

The look on their faces is priceless.

Laughing

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:33 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
DJP wrote:

Hmm, not so sure - would like to see the sums on that. But I suppose it's all about what you consider 'marginal', isn't it?

OK...

I bought 4 new bikes in the last 20 years so I kept them, on average, about 5 years. Some a bit more, some a bit less*.

And, come trade in time, I got back about 50% of what I'd paid for them (some a bit more and some a bit less).

And I paid, on average, about £6k for them (some a bit more and some a bit less).

So I lost, on average, about £600 per year in depreciation.

I can live with that.

Or I could've bought used and possibly reduced that depreciation to £200 or £300 per year. Or not. Because I'd probably have spent more on maintenance and consumables on an older bike which would have reduced that notional saving.

And even without that, for a difference of a few hundred quid a year I'd rather be riding a new bike. Because I can.

Now, Compare & Contrast with cars: I bought a 3 year old car with 4,000 miles on it for about a third of the list price. That's a no-brainer.

And if I could buy a 3 year old bike with 4,000 miles for a third of the list price then I'd be all over it.

But I can't. In fact, I find the price of a lot of used bikes to be bordering on craziness these days.

*And I've just bought the fifth with which I intend to repeat the pattern.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:53 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 1250 was, what, £7500 OTR in 2016?

5 year old trade in price is £3,170.

Closer to 40% than 50%. £866 a year.

It's actually a fairly compelling argument, but I'd be astonished if you'd be offered a full 50% back in PX after 5 years, unless it's a particularly desirable model and has been a garage queen.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bandit 1250 was, what, £7500 OTR in 2016?

5 year old trade in price is £3,170.

Closer to 40% than 50%. £866 a year.

It's actually a fairly compelling argument, but I'd be astonished if you'd be offered a full 50% back in PX after 5 years, unless it's a particularly desirable model and has been a garage queen.

It's not so much about what I'd be offered, it's about what I'd have to pay.

Some real life examples:

My last bike was a Yamaha MT07. Right now, the cheapest one in MCN is £3,800 and the average asking price is around £4,500.

But I only paid just over £5k for mine brand new and there are several dealers offering pre-reg ones for not much more now (one at £5,300).

Still fancy paying £4,500 for a used one? Me neither.

And I've just bought a Bandit 1250 brand new for a smidge over £7,000. The cheapest in MCN is £3k and it's 10 years old. Shit, dealers are asking over £4k for ones that are 6 or 7 years old.

That's just not attractive to me.

I'm not averse to buying used – all of my cars and most of my bikes have been bought that way. But in a world where even the snotters seem to command a couple of grand, buying used just doesn't add up as well as it used to.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it makes sense to buy new outright IME. For example:

- When you can achieve a PX allowance significantly in excess of what you could easily achieve privately (it happens!), and therefore offsets depreciation.

- When you can buy pre-reg or NOS bikes at a significant discount. Once they're cleared out, you'll probably stand a good chance of getting most of (if not all) your capital back out of it.

- Brand new models which are in high demand and short supply, and would attract near RRP on the used market in the near term (e.g. MT-10).

In most cases, it helps in terms of cost of ownership if you don't keep it very long. Buy it, experience it, flog it whilst there's still a good amount of Warranty.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
At the end you are left with nothing, for all the £££ you have laid out. Thumbs Up

iooi wrote:

Yes....

Sorry, I don't want to come across as contrary but PCP is a purchase agreement and not a rental. You're paying "X" amount of £'s for "Y" amount of months, followed by an optional final payment of "Z".

If you wish to keep the bike, pay "Z" and it's yours, the finance ends and that's it.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 22:53 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As can be seen from this it really depends on your personal circumstances. I think it also depends massively on what bike you're buying and when.

I bought a first gen street triple after they had been out 2-3 years so the initial wave of buyers had gone, it had also just gone through the banking crash (2009/2010), I got a shockingly good deal on a brand new street triple (which I wish I'd kept).

I'd be looking to wait until after summer. Dealers will struggling in winter so looking to make sales. Also the potential for a bit of a hit after the brexit announcement. If this drives up prices and makes things tougher for people financially then a better time to buy.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:54 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure iooi is just a cheap ass Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:28 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Sorry, I don't want to come across as contrary but PCP is a purchase agreement and not a rental.

I view it as a lease with a lump sum up front (because who wouldn't want to pay up front for something that they don't own) and an option to purchase the bike at the end.

Bear in mind that you also have an option to purchase a different used bike for much the same money - they're not doing you any sort of favour. The argument in favour of buying the one that you just leased is that you know its history.

Oh, and if you ride it too much, you get a bill anyway even if you want to walk away.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Always go in and make it known that you want to take out the finance option... They then throw in loads of extras because of the commission from the lender while you are still "hmmm im still not sure..."

Then when it comes to the end and its all agreed... Simply say "actually Ill use this card instead".

The look on their faces is priceless.

Laughing

the other option is actually sign the finance, and then call the finance company up within the 14 days cooling off period and cancel the agreement, you then have 30 days to find alternative (cheaper) funding to cover the purchase with no penalty and they claw back the finance commission from the dealer Laughing

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:06 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bozzy wrote:
Sorry, I don't want to come across as contrary but PCP is a purchase agreement and not a rental.

I view it as a lease with a lump sum up front (because why?) and an option to purchase the bike at the end.

Bear in mind that you also have an option to purchase a different used bike for much the same money - they're not doing you any sort of favour. The argument in favour of buying the one that you just leased is that you know its history.

You can treat it like that if you want to, lots of people do. This can be both attractive or unattractive, depending on your opinion.

I just wanted to address iooi's point regarding not having a bike at the end of the agreement. This would be entirely true if it were a Contract Hire agreement, but a PCP (Personal Contract Purchase) is a purchase agreement, albeit one with the flexibility to be treated like a lease.

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, and if you ride it too much, you get a bill anyway even if you want to walk away.

Providing you've paid off 50% of your agreement, you can call the finance company and request a "voluntary termination" even if you've done 20,000 miles more than you said you would when you took out the finance. They can't enforce the mileage charge on a VT, although they may chance asking for it! They don't like customers VT'ing under these circumstances because you're shafting them, but it's true, it works alright! I had a customer do it Cool

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to add ...

The 50% rule for VTing isn't limited by time... I.e if you are only 6 months in ( 25% of the price ) - then you can still VT.

It's their responsibility to figure out how to get the final 25% off you, which would have to be another loan... but without anything to secure it - it would just be a personal loan.

Now I'm not sure on the specifics because no one ever did it while I was there - but I was told by the finance director that the legal guys seemed to think they would have a problem if anyone simply
Refused to sign the new personal loan agreement forms!

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:33 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
And just to add ...

The 50% rule for VTing isn't limited by time... I.e if you are only 6 months in ( 25% of the price ) - then you can still VT.

It's their responsibility to figure out how to get the final 25% off you, which would have to be another loan... but without anything to secure it - it would just be a personal loan.

Now I'm not sure on the specifics because no one ever did it while I was there - but I was told by the finance director that the legal guys seemed to think they would have a problem if anyone simply
Refused to sign the new personal loan agreement forms!

The customer is liable for half under the rule of halves, so basically if they do a VT after paying off 25% of the purchase price the customer is liable for the other 25% that takes the agreement to half paid. The original finance company are under no obligation to loan the customer that 25%, it's the customer's responsibility to pay it. The final 50% is then the finance companies responsibility.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Bozzy on 00:35 - 22 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds very complicated to me.
There is bike I want, here is debit card, now bike is mine. If I can't put it on the debit card, then I can't afford it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3