Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gilera DNA 125 cuts out when revved...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Heterochromic_bikergal
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:23 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Gilera DNA 125 cuts out when revved... Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm a biking newbie, and I've recently got my first bike (the Gilera DNA 125cc) but frustratingly, I haven't been able to ride it yet as I've run into a problem. When I start the bike everything seems okay until I use the throttle and rev it, then it just cuts out and switches off.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:38 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The root cause is that those, uh, "bikes" got passed around a succession of 17 year olds who thought maintenance meant splashing some fuel in, or drilling holes in the exhaust.

Help us to help you. What's the history of the "bike"; are there any obvious modifications to it; what (if anything) have you done to diagnose it.

Can you push it freely by hand?

Does the behaviour change if you let it warm up for a while?

Heterochromic_bikergal
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:07 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The root cause is that those, uh, "bikes" got passed around a succession of 17 year olds who thought maintenance meant splashing some fuel in, or drilling holes in the exhaust.

Help us to help you. What's the history of the "bike"; are there any obvious modifications to it; what (if anything) have you done to diagnose it.

Can you push it freely by hand?

Does the behaviour change if you let it warm up for a while?

Thanks for the quick response, and apologies for my delay, yeah that's true albeit annoying!

The only history I have is the most recent MOT which included notes for a loud exhaust and a brake pad which needed replacing (which I have taken care of), and the fact that it's had 13 previous owners. The only obvious modification(s) I know of are:

- the front suspension has been slightly heightened.
- RFY shock absorbers to the rear.

I also had to replace a few things when I got the bike, these included:

- New drive belt
- Front brake pads
- New brake lever
- New indicators
- New battery

I haven't diagnosed it as of yet, work takes up most of my time during the week but I plan to try some possible solutions this weekend.

I can push it freely by hand, yeah.

I will try letting it run for a while before revving it, I haven't been able to test that yet due to neighbours with sleeping children and early starts either side of where I store the bike. I'll let you know how it goes!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably could do with checking the carb is actually clean and its getting the right fuel/oil mix, unless am monkey has removed the auto lube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:40 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this indicates one of two issues, a gummed up carb or a clutch/transmission problem.

Does it do the same if the bike is on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground?

Cleaning the carb as paddy said is a good idea. Take all the jets out and mark sure they are clear.

Heterochromic_bikergal
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:57 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Probably could do with checking the carb is actually clean and its getting the right fuel/oil mix, unless am monkey has removed the auto lube.

If leaving the bike running for a while before using the throttle doesn't work, cleaning the carb was going to be my next port of call. If leaving it running does get it working, would you recommend cleaning the carb anyway?

chris-red wrote:
To me this indicates one of two issues, a gummed up carb or a clutch/transmission problem.

Does it do the same if the bike is on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground?

Cleaning the carb as paddy said is a good idea. Take all the jets out and mark sure they are clear.

It does the same thing on the center stand with the rear wheel off of the ground.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:29 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heterochromic_bikergal wrote:
If leaving the bike running for a while before using the throttle doesn't work, cleaning the carb was going to be my next port of call. If leaving it running does get it working, would you recommend cleaning the carb anyway?

I'd do that right now.

Literally, take it off with photos before you disconnect anything.

Whip the bowl off and unscrew the jets. Give them a proper clean, thin bit of wire if needed to make sure the centre of each jet is clean. Do one at a time so they go back in the correct place.

See if it fires up and revs nicely, you'll want to let it idle for a few seconds and give it little blips to see if it goes up, don't go 100%... no one likes a chav.

It could be some mong has messed with the screws on the side of the carb, hopefully not but if so, factory settings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Heterochromic_bikergal
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:40 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Heterochromic_bikergal wrote:

I'd do that right now.

Literally, take it off with photos before you disconnect anything.

Whip the bowl off and unscrew the jets. Give them a proper clean, thin bit of wire if needed to make sure the centre of each jet is clean. Do one at a time so they go back in the correct place.

See if it fires up and revs nicely, you'll want to let it idle for a few seconds and give it little blips to see if it goes up, don't go 100%... no one likes a chav.

It could be some mong has messed with the screws on the side of the carb, hopefully not but if so, factory settings.

Thanks Paddy, I'll definitely do that at the weekend and get back to you with the results, fingers crossed! (Hopefully the mongs have stayed well away from the screws...)

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:35 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T dive straight in and start tearing the carburetor apart!

BUY THE BOOK!

There are lots of possible problems that could account for the suggested, and rather vague 'symptom' you describe... starting with 13 previous owners!

That, and fact that OTMH the thing wet out of production a decade ago, suggests the thing aint no spring chicken, and has probably had a rather hard life, in a world where little bikes are only really expected to have a service life of about seven years,bfore being ought by folk without licences or much experience how to either rid'em or look after'em, who tend to thrash, trash and crash them, with something akin to wild abandon, until they do abandon them.

NOW; first up, I believe that most of these has 2-stroke scooter engines. However, some of the later ones got 4-stroke scooter engines. So which do you have? I will take a guess its a two-stroke, BUT, I would be guessing, and a lot of possble problems would hinge on that assumption.

Then: straight off the top; as an old and likely sore used Learner-Legal, refusal to take load, could be a symptom of low compression, caused by gross bore/ring wear in the engine....

Folk tend t be scared of looking inside engines, and are very prone to diving in and taking bits off the outside that 'seen' less scary..... like carburetors.... but whle they aren't as oily and are more accessble, carbs ARE rather delicate and intrcate devices, and a lot of folk completely effup engines repeatedly removing and cleaning them, rather than grasping the nettle and sorting the 'real' problem, which is likely in the exhaust or engine..... and often MAKE more problems than they solve in the attempt

So DON'T be in a rush to make that same mistake... leave the carburettor ALONE until you have GOOD rason to beleve that is where the problem lies.

First curse should ALWAYS be to run the engine up until fault occurs, and KILL the ignition, then remove the spark-plug and compare what it looks like to the photo's.... yeah... in-the-book.

That will tell you more about where possible problems may lie than anything we can, by weeja telepathic mechanics!

While plug out, you do a compression test, either wth a proper compresson tester, or just the old rule of thumb (over the spark plug hole!)

Two simple easy checks that require just one spanner and DONT effup any delicate 'settings', or disturb any critical seals or gaskets.

Worst case; the engine could need, and on balence of probabilty probably isn't far off, needing thorough overhaul, with a rebore and new rings, if four-stroke reground valves and valve seats; if a two-stroke, rebore and rngs or if nikasil chrome bore, new barrel and piston, ad the bottom end stripping to ft new crak case seals and replace r re-set reed valves.

Best case:- the choke is stuck on!

In between lies any amount of frustration..... and given propensity for folk to dve straight nto 'carbrettor cleaning' there is a very high liklihood you have second hand, or no gaskets not sealing the carb to the engine, so it's just sucking air when put under load... which would require carb reoval to sort, and you might as well strp and clean and look for any other faults in there whilst you are about it...... following the instructions IN THE BOOK! But, that is NOT where you should start, and mention of the 'loud' exhaust on MOT advisories, begs suggestion that either the old exhaust is rotted out and holes, which will never let a engine run well, and or, some twit previous owner has tried to 'de-restrict' the exhaust and again, wither omitted the exhaust gasket thinking ts the 'magic restriction washer', or because they did't have a new one, and or, they have caused all anner of carnage, drillng holes to make it louder, or naively convinced they are removing restriction'
, or have fitted some sort of after-market 'performance' exhaust, which, usually at best beg the carburettor be re-jetted to suit, and at wort increase noise and fuel consumption and make the motor run like a bag of crap, and cause problems for no reason....

But STILL there is no reason to dive in and start pullng carburettors to bits, until you know there IS a problem in there!

So start at the top... plug chop... inspect exhaust; look for simple stupid, like cables that aren't clamped up, or have been fitted ase about; bts that are missing or extra bits that shouldn't be, etc... all of whch you wll get best clue from... you... looking in the book! NOT on the net, which tends to just add more 'random' to the already 'random' panic mechancs making more problems chasing dead leads and NOT grasping the nettle to fix the damn thing!

That' my advice... start at the top, with the book, and be prepared for the worse, like said, its no spring chicken!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:47 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ignore him. Sperganator 5000 in full 1975 mode.

Remove carb, take photos before doing so and check everything is clean and clear.

Heterochromic_bikergal
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:06 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, apologies for not replying to this thread sooner! I wasn't able to do anything with the bike until Saturday.

Good news, leaving it running for 5 minutes prior to revving did the trick, it's run okay after that so far. So I guess it was a case of impatience and lack of knowledge on my part... Laughing

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Teflon-Mike wrote:

That' my advice... start at the top, with the book, and be prepared for the worse, like said, its no spring chicken!

I'm going to find/order the manual online this week for the servicing/general maintenance advice in there if nothing else, but it's a 4-stroke engine.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haynes manual 4163 according to the list in mine

also does the runner
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1