Gz125 (again) power issue related to revs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
EEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR as my last post as well.

Sorry, I saw robby's avatar amongst the conversation and missed that there was another name there.

MarkGoy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:46 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanks for answering all my questions, I haven't referenced them but its appreciated that you took the time to answer them.

Quote:
More likely is your CDI is recieving bad data. Do you have a throttle position sensor on the carb?

Yes it does have a throttle positioning sensor, I have a spare one for later.

Quote:
This could be sending bad data and as throttle position is used to determine spark timing. They're a pain to align if you need to replace one as you need to know the idle and WOT resistances. You will need a service manual or half an hour of garage time. Solve running lean first.

Thats something im going to have to research, I dont know how a T.P.S works on carburetors or what a WOT is. And will solve lean first definitely. (edit : WOT = "wide open throttle")

Quote:
Check for air leaks, diaphram damage and carb blockage.

Will do, thanks for the help.

Thanks to everyone else too Smile

MarkGoy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:12 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, back again.

So I took the tank and side panels off the have a good look at everything.

I took the carb off and tested the slide again, loose as expected, I found the diaphragm had a tiny bit sticking out the top of the carb, so I undid all that, checked the diaphragm for holes etc etc, none found, made sure to seat the diaphragm properly this time, tested it, found much more resistance to slide.

So happy with that, I also notice the little rubber bit that holds the choke to the carb had worn making the seal... potentially a bit iffy, so i replaced that with my spare.

I then shifted the air box rubber part just a smidgen forward, it had slid back so the rubber was only about half way up the carb errrrrrrr..... "metal bit that sticks out, which obviously is meant to connect to the airbox".

In my excitement i forgot to check the airbox for blockages etc.

I need to do that.

after that I put the bike back together and started it up, I noticed how he choke affects the engine had changed a bit, the engine wouldn't really idle without the choke on.

So i left it and the revs increased over time, so i closed the choke a bit... bla bla bla, engine now warmed up I assume so choke off... runs fine.

change idle screw setting..

So I took the spark plug out and cleaned it best i could, I do have another brand new plug, but I didn't think it necessary to put another brand new one in.

Gave the bike the same test, same route same rough time the engine spends in its silly state. The engine feels like its giving out much more power, I can accelerate uphill (which used to be huge issue) and I can now accelerate in "silly mode" although I think only in 1st and 2nd and very very slowly

"silly mode" has changed a bit , 1st > I can get to roughly 20, 2nd > 30 , 3rd > 30, 4th > 40, 5 > 50

And here we have it, the results ...

I think that shows either a significant improvement or its not running lean anymore? because I dont think that white discoloration is fresh.

unlike pic 2, which is the results from the last test.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're getting somewhere. 30 in second with the original gearing is close to maxed out.

Your throttle position sensor is a potentiometer, that is a variable resistor. The suzuki service manual will tell you the resistance for closed throttle and wide open throttle you should be getting. The haynes doesn't. You can check for smooth and linear operation by connecting a multimeter across the wires. If you have 3 wires, there will be a constant reading across one pair, and the other combinations will change in unison to read values that add up to this large value. Follow one of the pairs where the resistance changes across the operation of the throttle from closed to wide open. You should have a smooth progression of readings. A sudden jump to zero or unexpectedly high shows you have a sensor fault, and will need to find the adjustment data before fitting a new TPS.

MarkGoy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the t.p.s off and tested it like you said. One pair reads 5000 ohm to 500 oh and the other 350 ohm to 5000ohm. The combined stationary pin reads 5300 ohm.

I tested my spare too, it reads about the same but not exactly.

Change in resistance seems proportional to the twist I'm putting on it.

Hmmm

Edit : the unmoving resistance pins, on one t.p.s it reads 5300 ohm the other 5500 ohm.

Does this mean anything? Anything significant there?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2