Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Pads Street Triple R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:57 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Brake Pads Street Triple R Reply with quote

Just had a check round my bike as I was planning a ride from Blackpool to Goole on Saturday. Unfortunately it looks like the front brake pads are a little thin and I won't have time to change them for Saturday.

Just wondering what pads people recommend? Spotted some Goldfren pads but I've never heard of them. Are they any good? Or should I stick with the likes of EBC?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM pads are generally the best but Goldfrens are fine. I have them in my track bike as OEM are £37 per caliper and aint no-one got time for that. EBC are shite.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:13 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use EBC, they are very good. Never had a problem with them. I've also heard CL are quite good. (formerly Carbone Lorraine)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I use EBC, they are very good. Never had a problem with them.

EBC are ok on the Fazer. Plenty of feel, plenty of stopping power. But they do seem to feel a little 'wooden' until warmed up. I sometimes find myself checking all behind is clear and jamming the front brakes on to get a bit of heat into them at the start of rides. OEM Yamaha don't have that, and seem to last better.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use EBC, both discs and pads. Pretty much exclusively as I can't find a better Value/Performance compromise.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 20 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you after sintered?

I like Bendix pads but they were silly money the last ones I bought. Not so keen on Goldfren but I haven't tried the sintered version, only the organic which I fitted to the wifes bike.

I also like Armstrong sintered but I seem to be in a minority of 1 for them Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
OEM pads are generally the best but Goldfrens are fine. I have them in my track bike as OEM are £37 per caliper and aint no-one got time for that. EBC are shite.

I Like Goldfren as well, good stopping, reasonable wear rate and cheap. They work well on modern discs but not on older solid type discs.
Funny thing is some people hate them so I guess like tyres it comes down to personal choice.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:32 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I think I'm after the nearest thing to OEM really just without the cost. I've no idea what the standard pad is, whether organic or sintered or not Thinking

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:43 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Thanks guys.

I think I'm after the nearest thing to OEM really just without the cost. I've no idea what the standard pad is, whether organic or sintered or not Thinking

My triple seems to have Brembos however I much prefer Goldfren. Thumbs Up

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:35 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Bozzy wrote:
Thanks guys.

My triple seems to have Brembos however I much prefer Goldfren. Thumbs Up

Thanks Paddy Thumbs Up

Think I'll slip a set of Goldfrens in.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used SBS after the genuine and they were great, next up are some HH EBC but haven't fitted them yet as got loads to do before it goes back on the road, now with 13k on the clock it's time to replace the shock, replace oe sprockets, fit 3rd chain (don't look after them), service calipers and fit pads, fit new battery, air filter, plugs and change the oil and filter, then insure it and may the MOT is up!

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes OEM pads are best, but that depends on the make/model. I don't know about the Street Triple. My 'go to' pads are Brembo 'Silver' Road/Race Sintered pads. Always superb IME.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:43 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally fitted a set of Goldfren HH AD sintered ceramic carbon pads to my bike tonight. Will post an update when they've bedded in.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I use EBC, they are very good. Never had a problem with them.

EBC are ok on the Fazer. Plenty of feel, plenty of stopping power. But they do seem to feel a little 'wooden' until warmed up. I sometimes find myself checking all behind is clear and jamming the front brakes on to get a bit of heat into them at the start of rides. OEM Yamaha don't have that, and seem to last better.

EBC HH? Me too. Warming them up first thing by dragging the pads while on the power shouldn't be a daily ritual. Ah well at this rate they'll be due a change soon.

However they are good when warmed up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1