Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Carbon monoxide from exhausts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Carbon monoxide from exhausts? Reply with quote

I think EU laws have made engines safer etc, but are they still dangerous enough that they can kill?

Starting the bike up in the garage in the morning, letting it warm up - how much before you get woosy enough for a sit down, permanently? What about diesel engines, can they be considered safer?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel = Particulates that will get you eventually.
Petrol = Fumes that will get you quicker.
And to answer, about 20 seconds because no cat. Not how it left the factory mind you, Wink and there's your problem.
Whatever they insist of fitting at manufacture can still be removed by a well meaning idiot. Cool

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just wheel it out first? Makes more a racket in the garage anyway.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:36 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
Why not just wheel it out first? Makes more a racket in the garage anyway.

More noise #Baklaf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is also what makes me question the whole system. You buy a motorcycle, with CAT and exhaust tuned to match the regulation only for you to then go, take the CAT and exhaust off and put an open exhaust on it and no body cares.

Why bother with emissions of motorcycles, when the above happens all the time. Thinking

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cat takes about 3 or 4 miles to get up to temperature to start working. A factory spec exhaust makes no difference when it's too cold to work.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boiler is in the garage so I have a carbon monoxide detector in there, it does not take many blips of the throttle to set it off.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
My boiler is in the garage so I have a carbon monoxide detector in there, it does not take many blips of the throttle to set it off.

Even if I start the bike outside the garage with the exhaust pointing vaguely towards the open door, mines sets off.

I imagine in an enclosed space with the engine running it wouldnt be much past 30s - 1 minute before you wanted to pass out.

Not recommended.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

I imagine in an enclosed space with the engine running it wouldnt be much past 30s - 1 minute before you wanted to pass out.

Not recommended.

Isn't it supposed to be a nice way to go? As in you just drift off and never wake up.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the smell too Confused Laughing

So yeah I suppose. Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Minty wrote:

Even if I start the bike outside the garage with the exhaust pointing vaguely towards the open door, mines sets off.

Not recommended.

Must be way longer than a minute. Your CO meter is too sensitive, to give you more time to react = to get the feck out of there, if something goes wrong. After all, CO is highly toxic for human beings and you can't smell it, nor see it. Well, you may see the colour of the flame, if it's orange/yellow you have a problem. This would be a result of not enough O2 present = exhaust leaks, very high ambient temperature... All the stuff that can happen without you even noticing a thing, hence the CO meter.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense...

You'll forgive me however if I just take your word for it rather than testing. Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Makes sense...

You'll forgive me however if I just take your word for it rather than testing. Laughing

Just to give you an idea of how dangerous CO is, check the Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

It makes you think, how little of the gas can kill you. Wink

Thinking of it, when talking about exhaust gases of combustion engines, it's not the CO that kills you, well it does but first you get CO2 poisoning = fall asleap, that happens long before there's a lethal level of CO in the air. Thinking

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

on that note:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4334892/Couple-died-fumes-caused-car-modification.html

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

qarka wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Not recommended.

Isn't it supposed to be a nice way to go? As in you just drift off and never wake up.

Actual CO from a tank, yes. Vehicle fumes, not at all.

My mates tractor was a dirty little 1960s diesel, which for some reason had a low exhaust pipe coming out near the 3 point linkage rather than the usual tall pipe. We reversed it into the back of a barn and I was to unhitch the transport box then we'd drive out again.

Now bear in mind the barn door was wide open so not very enclosed really, but the fumes coming right out the spout into my face were horrible. I tried holding my breath and it would make your eyes burn, breathe a bit of it in and start coughing and choking on the fumes. Fucking ghastly, and that was just for the minute or two to unhitch this transport box.

To think those poor bastards in the Holocaust were locked in a room and gassed with engine exhaust, can't imagine how bad that must have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Carbon monoxide from exhausts? Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:

Starting the bike up in the garage in the morning, letting it warm up - how much before you get woosy enough for a sit down, permanently?

Well, let's see. 240 working days in a year (ish). So 2 minutes a day is 480 minutes a year, over say 5 years is 2400 minutes or 40 hours spent sucking in hydrocarbons and CO which is, incidentally, flammable.

Not going to poison your brain much is it?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the smell of a big old diesel engine cold starting with an excess of fuel. Its usually a white smoke that goes with it. My car just smells of neat petrol from the exhaust, and it's nowhere near such a present smell as say a big Gardener diesel starting on a cold day.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter startups on the sprinter yield some nice smelling diesel smoke. Reminds me of the bus garage first thing in the morning.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have heard that on a catalysed car (with the cat working) it is effectively impossible to kill yourself just with CO poisoning. That said in an enclosed spare you would land up running out of oxygen probably. Older cars have the cats quite a way from the engine and will take ages to warm up. Newer ones mostly have a cat in the manifold to warm up quickly.

There are times when I have been very careless with non catalysed engines running in an enclosed space. Still here.

All the best

Katy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

I have heard that on a catalysed car (with the cat working) it is effectively impossible to kill yourself just with CO poisoning. That said in an enclosed spare you would land up running out of oxygen probably. Older cars have the cats quite a way from the engine and will take ages to warm up. Newer ones mostly have a cat in the manifold to warm up quickly.

There are times when I have been very careless with non catalysed engines running in an enclosed space. Still here.

All the best

Katy

It only makes sense, as there's far more CO2 exhausted than CO, you get CO2 poisoning (effectively running out of oxygen) long before the CO concentration gets to a lethal level. That is why they say it's a ''pleasant'' way of how to end your life. Reading about CO poisoning, it is not nice, nor pleasant way of going. Thinking

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

It only makes sense, as there's far more CO2 exhausted than CO, you get CO2 poisoning (effectively running out of oxygen) long before the CO concentration gets to a lethal level. That is why they say it's a ''pleasant'' way of how to end your life. Reading about CO poisoning, it is not nice, nor pleasant way of going. Thinking

It's CO2 buildup that is horrible and feels like suffocation, so how would CO2 poisoning be pleasant?

You can breathe a nitrogen from a tank and "nicely" die, because you can still exhale CO2 without inhaling any O2 to keep you alive.

Wiki says:

3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes

6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.

12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

Looks like CO poisoning from a vehicle will be horrible as the levels slowly ramp up. OTOH breathing it straight from the tank looks like it wouldn't be too bad.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by smegballs on 14:49 - 22 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by smegballs on 14:50 - 22 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 21 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. And I figured I was loosing out by being out in the open constantly.

<Removes garage from next location wish list>

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my bike, I hadn't passed my test yet so couldn't ride it, but the seller started it up in his garage so I could hear it. Left it running for about 5 minutes with the garage door shut, 600cc, no cat, I certainly felt a bit odd walking out of there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1