Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Bike Possibly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: New Bike Possibly Reply with quote

Last week my bike was stolen, it was recovered and with the damage the insurance are throwing the words "total loss" and "write off" around. So Pinky is bike shopping. Budget is not as much as I would like (MT10) but the shortlist I have are as follows.

Yami FZ8
Suzuki GSR750
Kwak Z800 (or at a push late year Z750)

Anyone had any experience with these bikes, living with them, town and fun rides?

Personally I am leaning towards the Z800 as it just looks the better of the 4 contenders.

Another option is the MT09 but I really do not like the styling, or the 07 but I'm loath to go for a twin to potter around behind students on ped with.

So good people of BCF, advice me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZ1

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which MT09? The newest variant with LED lights and gopping number plate holder or the older style like mine?
You'll be at the filling station every day with MT09, not because it's thirsty, just has a piddling little tank. May
be a consideration if you are out on the road with students. They are still a hoot to ride though. Loads more midrange
oomph than your last bike. Cool sound too.If you haven't ridden one before it's worth a try at least.
Let your arse decide. Talking of which.... Firm seat but yamaha gel upgrade seat available.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
FZ1

Had a play on one of the naked ones, too heavy at the front it felt. Really wasnt a fan of it around bends.

grr666 wrote:
Which MT09? The newest variant with LED lights and gopping number plate holder or the older style like mine?
You'll be at the filling station every day with MT09, not because it's thirsty, just has a piddling little tank. May
be a consideration if you are out on the road with students. They are still a hoot to ride though. Loads more midrange
oomph than your last bike. Cool sound too.If you haven't ridden one before it's worth a try at least.
Let your arse decide. Talking of which.... Firm seat but yamaha gel upgrade seat available.

It'd be an early model, My budget would not allow a new one. I know they are great fun, I just dont get that.... You know! It just isnt there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why no Street Triple? Or even a Speed Triple?

Very Happy
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:

Very Happy

Because, with recent experience of many friends owning either bike, you see to either get the best bike ever or a complete lemon. With the way my luck goes I would get the lemon.

Mate had the 1090 Speed, put it in for a service, they condemned it, £1500 later and 3 pages of parts/labour the thing worked. Couple of friends bought one each, his and hers matching pair, his he still has, hers lasted 2 months before full refund. Electrical issues, fuelling issues, including a breakdown half way out of the dealers after a repair job half across a road and had to be walked to safety.

Of course I have a few mates who have the best bike ever. But I have the worst luck ever.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:32 - 22 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

Very Happy

Because, with recent experience of many friends owning either bike, you see to either get the best bike ever or a complete lemon. With the way my luck goes I would get the lemon.

Mate had the 1090 Speed, put it in for a service, they condemned it, £1500 later and 3 pages of parts/labour the thing worked. Couple of friends bought one each, his and hers matching pair, his he still has, hers lasted 2 months before full refund. Electrical issues, fuelling issues, including a breakdown half way out of the dealers after a repair job half across a road and had to be walked to safety.

Of course I have a few mates who have the best bike ever. But I have the worst luck ever.

Shame that's put you off. I'm sure you would have got a decent one!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't potter behind students on a Street Triple. It'd be, "right, I'm off, do your ride and let me know how you got on", before disappearing into the distance in a screaming blur Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:20 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I couldn't potter behind students on a Street Triple. It'd be, "right, I'm off, do your ride and let me know how you got on", before disappearing into the distance in a screaming blur Laughing

That sounds like my DAS instructor. "Right you don't need to go as fast as me round these bends".

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just buy something like a Deauville or similar for instructor abuse? Buy something cheap and get a nice second bike for shits and giggles. Age isn't a factor as long as the bike is well maintained.

I used my FZ6 S2 for a while right at the end and it was absolutely fine. If I ever went back to it (if hell freezes over) I'd be buying something cheap and upright like an FZS100, Bandit 1200/1250S, CBF1000, maybe a TDM. Something with a bit of fairing for protection.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:46 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

That sounds like my DAS instructor. "Right you don't need to go as fast as me round these bends".

My instructor was more like "See if you can keep up with me round these bends".

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

mine actively encouraged me to overtake on some higher speed areas. Was good fun Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was pretty good that way, on our first NSL he hadn't even finished telling me to 'Now use the pow... oh I see'.

I was already gone.

He was happy I wasn't speed phobic. Apparently he gets a lot of those who bimble on NSL when they really
should be making better progress.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Mine was pretty good that way, on our first NSL he hadn't even finished telling me to 'Now use the pow... oh I see'.

I was already gone.

He was happy I wasn't speed phobic. Apparently he gets a lot of those who bimble on NSL when they really
should be making better progress.

MIne was the same. Although when I burst through the speed trap on the MOD 1 at 76km/h instead of the required 50km/h the examiner wasn't so impressed...

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:39 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going slightly back on topic, I would have said Street Triple as well, but recognise that you have to be lucky and get a good one.

However if you are going second hand by the time, if you are getting something with around 6k miles on it, shouldn't it be OK?

I bit leftfield but I quite like the v strom 1000, its got a stonking engine that is a hoot to ride.

Otherwise you seem to have covered the key suspects.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsbike wrote:
Going slightly back on topic, I would have said Street Triple as well, but recognise that you have to be lucky and get a good one.

First I've heard of this. Anyone on here had such bad experiences as the OP's mates? I don't recall reading about anything, and quite a few here have them. But I find it really isn't a bike to sit patiently around on.

I'm surprised the OP found the FZ1 to have heavy steering, another thing I've not heard before from owners. But is an FZ8 really that much different? But a litre bike does seem to me to bit a bit of overkill for the job. I'd be inclined to agree with Matt B, and get something cheap but reliable - CB500? - for training use, and something nicer for personal enjoyment. On the other hand, none of the bikes the OP mentions seem like bad choices to me, but I can't speak from personal experience of any of them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:02 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:

He's just had a bike nicked. That's not just tempting Fate, it's smearing peanut butter on your genitals and putting them in Fate's fanged maw.

An IL4 for dawdling along behind Learners?

Radical departure: Duke 690.

How no?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
CB500?

Wouldn't have been a great choice, even back when the students were riding things like GS500s. You really need something with a (fair) bit more poke than your students are riding. There are times when you have to catch them up or want to overtake them so they can follow you. Yes, a GS/CB500 would do it, but it would just be painfully slow and annoyingly vibey.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ridden one but I've heard the Qwak Z750's are shockingly bad bikes not sure on the Z800's but I'd avoid.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:05 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
You really need something with a (fair) bit more poke than your students are riding. There are times when you have to catch them up or want to overtake them so they can follow you.

I can't see a properly ridden CB500 having much trouble doing that if they're sticking anywhere near to UK speed limits.

If you need to catch or overtake them without breakin' tha law, breakin' tha law yourself, then they need to be doing under the limit, right?

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:10 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the FZ1 and FZ8 are the same except one just has less power, same engine and mostly bits. FZ1 was advertised as having 50 odd percent of the weight at the front so heavy steering when riding slow is true (I own one).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Street triple was fine, but if you are in an area of bike thieves I'd definitely say no to a Street unless you can get one of the one with the immobiliser.

In fact, thinking about it I'd still say no to the street because the scumbags would still try and nick it, immobiliser or not.

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:21 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

any reason not to go with the xsr900

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:27 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
In fact, thinking about it I'd still say no to the street because the scumbags would still try and nick it, immobiliser or not.

Given the number always available on eBay as C/D write offs and disclosed to be or pretty obviously stolen/recovered, I'd agree that it's likely.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2