Therapy "Bang for buck"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Private therapy - good return?
I spent quite a large sum, and saw a massive improvement in life quality/skills
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
I spent quite a large sum, and saw improvement. Glad I did it.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
I spent quite a large sum, and saw no real improvement. Should have had a holiday.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I spent quite a large sum, and felt worse afterwards because of the money use.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I started it, but bailed when it wasn't working.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I started it, but bailed when I realised the cost.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I did it on the NHS, and it was cracking!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I did it on the NHS, and it was worth my time, but glad I didn't pay.
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
I did it on the NHS, but it would have been worth the GBP1000
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Is that chair firmly bolted down? Good.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Therapy "Bang for buck" Reply with quote

So, leaving aside Auntie NHS ponying up for you...

Therapy...

Does it do much more than spending the same amount of money on a nice holiday or whores... ?

I have some (Laughing) issues that I wouldn't mind working through, and every now and then I look in to it.

I had a lovely meeting with a yank shrink today. Final rate $250 per session... or $125 for 30 minute sessions.

Laughing

Looking around the UK, prices are 40-80 GBP per hour, so clearly better value in the UK.

However, even at that it is a massive outlay.

So, anonymous poll, although SWIM anecdotes and general advice also well welcomed, has anyone "invested in themselves" and seen results?

nb: In the poll, "I" can be close family member as well.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of Crocodile Dundee ...

Sue Charlton: People go to a psychiatrist to talk about their problems. She just needed to unload them. You know, bring them out in the open.

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Hasn't she got any mates?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pretty desperate and actually considered paying for it, but in the end I managed to self-refer through MIND.

It was some of the outfall from the Jen v Mum debacle

I'd brought the subject up with several mates (as Motorhate says), but in fact, I used to get myself so worked up that I didn't want to upset or stress my friends out any more, having them see me getting that tearful and hysterical every time the subject came up.

At first I didn't think it was helping. Every week I went, and I chatted about what seemed pointless shit or rehashing of my life, to a guy who barely said anything other than recall what I had previously said.

But things started to dawn on me, once I talked stuff round myself in circles. So yeah, it did help.

Mind you, the second to last session (I had 8 sessions) was just before I did that epic fly/ride thing with the GSX back from Milan, which certainly blew away a few cobwebs and gave me time to think.

But I had already recognised (to myself) that I had worked some issues through just by talking to the therapist about them.

I'd try to talk stuff through again, before resorting to medication.
(also I have less mates now than I did back then Laughing )

But I'm glad I didnt have to pay for it.
I was close to doing so, as I could afford it back then, and I was desperate to talk to a professional.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
In the words of Crocodile Dundee ...

Sue Charlton: People go to a psychiatrist to talk about their problems. She just needed to unload them. You know, bring them out in the open.

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Hasn't she got any mates?

I would tend to agree with you, however if the last 4 years have taught me anything, it is that mates don't want to hear mates whinging.

And you can ask for a lot from mates, but the ability to construct helpful healthy advice is not something you can reasonably expect.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:15 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to talk to someone who doesn't care about your feels or about calling out any "yeahbut..." self deception.

Call into Stefan Molyneux, tell him you've bought your 3rd world 'girlfriend' a cow.

Kind of srs point there, actually. If a totally unqualified borderline-swivel-eyed-loon chat show host can cut through 99 layers of self deceptive bullshit and get callers to identify, acknowledge and face their major malfunction in around an hour, using audio only, what the chuff are professionals doing taking longer than that?

<milking-it.gif>

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:19 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Been through it once and going through it again for different things.

Not 100% sure it helped and wasn't just time that helped. But there are things that you might want to try and bounce off someone who you do not know and are never likely to see in a social situation.

All the best

Katy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Therapy "Bang for buck" Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Final rate $250 per session... or $125 for 30 minute sessions.

Looking around the UK, prices are 40-80 GBP per hour, so clearly better value in the UK.

Shocked

Wow, just wow. Can't you start a blog/vlog instead? What do these people do, that you pay them this much? You know what, I bet there's someone on the BCF that lives close by, pay him/her 25 GBP per hour to sit with you in your local pub and listen to your stories and issues. Or join a church, you can talk to them for free, as far as I understand the concept of being involved.

If you're suicidal (see the carbon monoxide thread for pointers) then you need a psychiatrist and not a the-rapist anyway.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really related to talking therapy. It's a great money spinner for the therapists though because it can be open-ended:D

Both personally and professionally I have more faith in constructive intervention where a qualified, trained expert takes you through various appropriate exercises to assist you in finding practical, personal solutions to the issues you wish to resolve.

My preferred discipline is Neuro Linguistic Programming, I'm a qualified practitioner.

NLP encompasses a range of techniques and strategies to move you away from unwanted thoughts and behaviours and teaches you strategies for managing challenges, both conscious and non-conscious as they arise.

My personal opinion is that NLP is a more appropriate discipline for helping people than simple talking. In fact NLP theory suggests that "talking therapies" have a negative effect because constantly revisiting and articulating trauma or distress actually embeds those feelings and behaviors rather than resolving them and moving on.

An NLP practitioner will charge you similar rates to a counsellor/therapist per session but will provide you with time-bound, workable techniques that you can use on your own, forever.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You need to talk to someone who doesn't care about your feels or about calling out any "yeahbut..." self deception.

Call into Stefan Molyneux, tell him you've bought your 3rd world 'girlfriend' a cow.

Kind of srs point there, actually. If a totally unqualified borderline-swivel-eyed-loon chat show host can cut through 99 layers of self deceptive bullshit and get callers to identify, acknowledge and face their major malfunction in around an hour, using audio only, what the chuff are professionals doing taking longer than that?

<milking-it.gif>

Laughing

The "I'm dating/married to a prostitute in Thai/Cambodia/Laos and I can't tell if she is milking me for my money. She is 40 years younger than me, and spends a lot of time with her "brother" when I'm gone" story.

Haha Laughing

I swear living in those places for a few years gave me more trust issues than any of the other years of excitement around westerners. Interesting place Thumbs Up

You all have very good points, and I sniff "snake oil sale" well in this. I have done jolly well on my own over the last couple of years to improve, and have been going from strength to strength.

Still some kind of confident quack to actually take some leadership would be good.

However, looking at the goals I want to achieve in the future, dropping 800-1500 quid on this would seem far less sensible than just collaring someone down the pub.

Maybe that should be my plan. Find pub barfly that requires pints of fosters, chat shit to them, for about 4 quid an hour.

Thinking

BCF strikes gold again.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
Alternative,...

So, if OP found a hobby, to fill his time with something constructive instead of thinking about whatever bothers him, he'd be alright on his own, completely free of charge? Thinking

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that NLP is a more appropriate discipline for helping people than simple talking. In fact NLP theory suggests that "talking therapies" have a negative effect because constantly revisiting and articulating trauma or distress actually embeds those feelings and behaviors rather than resolving them and moving on.

An NLP practitioner will charge you similar rates to a counsellor/therapist per session but will provide you with time-bound, workable techniques that you can use on your own, forever.

Aye, I have had a lot of success with CBT and REBT type stuff.

Much like money management skills should be taught at schools, I can't see why basic CBT and refuting fuzzy thinking skills aren't as well.

I had not come across NLP though, and will look in to it. Thumbs Up

At least chatting to chappy (with the 150quid/hour charge) narrowed down the two things I should work on, free of charge. So... win Thumbs Up

Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Alternative,...

So, if OP found a hobby, to fill his time with something constructive instead of thinking about whatever bothers him, he'd be alright on his own, completely free of charge? Thinking

Ride your bike, problem solved Thumbs Up

No bike? You need the two-step program:

1. Get a bike
2. Ride your bike

Problem solved Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Ride your bike, problem solved Thumbs Up

No bike? You need the two-step program:

1. Get a bike
2. Ride your bike

Problem solved Thumbs Up

Has been working very well for me for 15 years Thumbs Up

Although British police can often get in the way of the proper benefits of it. Evil or Very Mad

Poecilotheria
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done alot of therapy, alot!. On the NHS and private, private is better because the NHS provides less than adequate therapists/ psychs 90% only care about being there for the paycheck.

Privately, the most I had spent per session was £160 an hr which was ok but really not enough changes to see for the price paid, more about therapist opinion than anything else, i think you , you do it because ... and almost all the time wrong. Avg payment for me is 40-60 per hr, but you really have to look for the right person you can really get along with, non opinionated with the experience in what you want, i.e anxiety, depression etc. My therapist now is great, looks like richard o brian, not opinionated.

In line with others though , best therapy IMO is music in my case metal and your bike at speed - or if fan of road rash listen to the rusty cage sound track with the sfx and ride!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I have done jolly well on my own over the last couple of years to improve, and have been going from strength to strength.

Still some kind of confident quack to actually take some leadership would be good.

I'm probably missing something here (nothing new Rolling Eyes ), but if that's the case, why does this thread even exist? Why would some kind of quack be good?
It doesn't seem to me that you have any major problems, except perhaps too much time spent thinking too deeply. I get like that sometimes, but as soon as I get active again, I see that inactivity and pondering too much were the problems (winter in particular is a bugger for me). Crack on with living, instead of wondering about all this stuff that clogs you up and slows you down.
Honestly mate, you should try dealing with the worries and problems I have Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:56 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
aybe that should be my plan. Find pub barfly that requires pints of fosters

Anybody who is profiting in an ongoing fashion from your woes in any way will be incentivised to prolong them.

As for non-opinionated, why would you take advice from someone who lacks, or pretends to lack, an opinion of their own? You might as well use Eliza.

Find someone who doesn't give a toss about your feelings, has no incentive to drag out the process, and who will listen hard and then tell you what you don't want to hear rather than nodding along.

Call in to Molyneux.

Why wouldn't you?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Honestly mate, you should try dealing with the worries and problems I have Laughing

I dunno mate, I need to get dressed to go shopping. This is a big undertaking!

Wink

I do take Roger's point though, and I am very wary of therapists having a strong incentive to slowly bleed you for cash.

... wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhich is why I started the thread.

There are a lot of them about. Someone might come on here praising them to high heaven and saying how much their life improved after them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:14 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Call in to Molyneux.

Why wouldn't you?

You're evading.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see a reflexologist once. The one that plays with your feet?

She told me I was bitter and full of resentment. I didn't go back. Anyway what kind of person wants to play with feet all day? Like footjobs, dont get that at all.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I dunno mate, I need to get dressed to go shopping. This is a big undertaking!

Wink

Oh, you just don't know! Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Ah bugger, something else I'm now going to have to binge-watch Laughing
That is hilarious. Cool

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:05 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Ah bugger, something else I'm now going to have to binge-watch Laughing
That is hilarious. Cool

Eh, he's patchy. The political polemics get very samey, as do the echo chambers with fellow right-wingers.

The call ins though can be solid gold. Sometimes if you listen really closely, you can hear a ringing sound when the penny drops.

He comes across as a bit of a nobber, and probably is, but generally listens carefully to exactly what people are saying (which they often seem unaware of themselves), processes it, then drills straight to the core of an issue rather than mincing around it.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need therapy then find a stranger and get shitfaced with them. When they start bawwing about how shitty their life is you'll realise that you're doing OK.

Lots of money spent, drink drunk, food eaten and your problem solved for a ~£200 one off fee. For additional therapy remind yourself how the other person must feel about some stranger knowing how shitty they're doing. Feel smug. Strut. Wear sunscreen..

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a counselling training course a few years ago by accident (had to give someone a lift to it and pick them up after every week - same time driving as the course took so signed up for it to save the petrol)

It was surprisingly interesting and there is definitely an advantage to not giving a shit about the person being counselled. Apply the techniques, get the results, don't get dragged in personally. Switch off, go home.

An added benefit is that if you go over to the "dark side", you can use the same techniques to really piss people off in a way that leaves them uncertain why they are so pissed off
Twisted Evil

Very high proportion of the people there had previously undergone counselling then wanted to become the person that had previously counselled them.

...and now you have read this, how did that make you feel?

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great deal of halfwittery in this thread.

If you think you need therapy, you probably do. Most people only consider it after something (or someone) tells them to consider it.

NHS are in cost saving mode, don't expect them to do much for you. And certainly not to timescales if you're under pressure to get sorted.

Get online, read some local practitioners' profiles and read what they specialise in and how they fix things in their field of experience.

Don't think you'll fix things alone. Taking care of your own mental health attracts enough of a stigma already, 'the usual BCF treatment' as in many posts above indicate to me that there are still enough people taking the piss to make you feel stupid. Don't.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3