Therapy "Bang for buck"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Private therapy - good return?
I spent quite a large sum, and saw a massive improvement in life quality/skills
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
I spent quite a large sum, and saw improvement. Glad I did it.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
I spent quite a large sum, and saw no real improvement. Should have had a holiday.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I spent quite a large sum, and felt worse afterwards because of the money use.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I started it, but bailed when it wasn't working.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I started it, but bailed when I realised the cost.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I did it on the NHS, and it was cracking!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I did it on the NHS, and it was worth my time, but glad I didn't pay.
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
I did it on the NHS, but it would have been worth the GBP1000
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Is that chair firmly bolted down? Good.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 18

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:50 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
There's a great deal of halfwittery in this thread.

Do you think that therapy helped you with your anger issues?

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Do you think that therapy helped you with your anger issues?

https://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/139/490/f5c.jpg

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Don't think you'll fix things alone. Taking care of your own mental health attracts enough of a stigma already, 'the usual BCF treatment' as in many posts above indicate to me that there are still enough people taking the piss to make you feel stupid. Don't.

Uhm, this.
I don't know BCF mentality enough to completely agree, though I've found many of these responses amusing..

However, your mental health is damned important. Bad head can lead to bad lots of other things. I know from experience to both myself and others – it's amazing how just being pissed off at work every single day can leach enjoyment from the rest of your life.

As an answer to the original question: I've been told a range of responses from counselling. Some people swear by it (and still attend). Then there's the "success stories" of those who attended for a reason and their therapist said "right. You've got this. We're finished". A very close friend of mine is a psychotherapist and the days that he gets to sign off patients is like a mini-celebration each and every time. He's so proud of them.

Then there's the other side of the coin, those who have attended and haven't gotten things sorted. I think that often has to do with the counsellor themselves. You need the right therapist/psychotherapist/counsellor to help with your issue and, unfortunately, some people are just crap at it. If you don't like that particular person, try another. Don't give up straight away.

There's also those who just can't accept the help, though – who go to sessions but don't take away from them.

Basically... if you think it'll help, go for it. If you're too jaded about the idea, it may not work unless you find the right practitioner.

Good luck either way. It's good to look after you, as the saying goes.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Therapy "Bang for buck" Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I had a lovely meeting with a yank shrink today.

You're making a HUGE mistake.

You need to see practitioners that are from a similar cultural background as yourself.

Differences in cultural backgrounds can lead to empathy gaps.

Studies in the USA[1] found that white doctors severely underestimated and dismissed[2] the problems and pain of non white doctors.
The same happened with black doctors. Even if black doctors and white doctors were born in the same neighbourhoods and had similar upbringing with comparable living standards the empathy gap would still be quite large.

Even though white Americans are not a million miles away from white English the empathy gap will still exist.

Citations:

[1] https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0048546
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17534011

My personal experiences of not being mentally well... though what is mentally well? Was in the past to simply hide it due to the massive social stigma is had and STILL has. I used the keep busy method. I became a very good mechanic and a very good pianist from this keeping busy.

Nothing has been fixed though other than the need to hide it and suppress it all day long.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Therapy "Bang for buck" Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

You need to see practitioners that are from a similar cultural background as yourself.

Differences in cultural backgrounds can lead to empathy gaps.

Interesting point.

With my meandering history and lack of clear cultural identity, I may be setting up quite a task to find someone able to empathise with me.

"Do tell me again just how irritating year long 35 degree heat and sunshine is... Ooooh, treated like something special by all and sundry were we? Oooh, sounds awful."

You and I both know the suckiness of both those things can have.

I remember meeting a Psychotherapist in India (at a party) who was a great laugh, and really enjoyed chatting with him. I do vividly remember him telling me how hard it is for an Indian to practice in America... "Ooooh your dad worked too hard and you never got to see him... HE HAD A JOB! Did he beat you? No! What the hell is wrong with you?" etc.

Laughing

Anyway, the yank in question approached me directly and said he could help, and is a prolific creator of youtube content which seemed to fit well enough with the areas I would like help with, and was happy to do stuff over skype.

Surprisingly difficult to arrange skype stuff for this, annoyingly. I have been keeping an eye out for options for the last 2-3 years.

So it was worth a couple of emails and a five minute chat. I sent him a "it's not you, it's me" email about half an hour ago, actually.

But it got me thinking enough to open up this thread and see how the cost breaks down to benefit. If it helped me enjoy the next 40 years more, a grand or two is nothing. I could afford it if I really believed it would help me.

Thanks to the couple that have mentioned the importance of mental health. I don't shout it from the rooftops, but mental health is the main reason I don't drink now... the myriad other bonuses are not really as important/insurmountable as not risking the up and down throughout the night (and following days).

(note for barbecue)

I have done an awful lot over the last couple of years to get to a place I am pretty happy with, and looking at my improvement and changes, I am actually really proud. Just a couple of things are still bugging me, and I would like to talk them over with someone confidentially and maybe with target setting (and reassurance I am not mental/broken from someone more qualified to know), because they negatively impact my enjoyment of life

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£250/hr is exorbitant. My PTSD therapy was £125/hr and worth every penny, especially since they weren't my pennies.

My guy was not a money-grabber who deliberately prolonged the work, he was a thoroughly decent guy who told me right from the off that he would make a huge difference to my life inside of 10 hrs work and he was true to his word. I'd recommend him to anyone but he only does PTSD.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:51 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Therapy "Bang for buck" Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
With my meandering history and lack of clear cultural identity, I may be setting up quite a task to find someone able to empathise with me.

Adam Aarons?

What's your position on ladyboys?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:10 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Therapy "Bang for buck" Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Irritated that they require so much defending from ignorant people. In country or out of country.

Also, their kung-fu is amazing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:52 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Therapy "Bang for buck" Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Irritated that they require so much defending from ignorant people.

Literal White Knight, noted.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I would tend to agree with you, however if the last 4 years have taught me anything, it is that mates don't want to hear mates whinging.

And you can ask for a lot from mates, but the ability to construct helpful healthy advice is not something you can reasonably expect.

I agree with the first part - I wouldn't listen to a mate whinge for four years. I'd expect them to sort their shit out or fck off and let me get on with my own miserable life. Laughing

The second part, I disagree. I'm not sure constructing helpful advice is always what you need. Sometimes you just need someone to be honest with you - straight talking and to the point. That makes you stop and think about what you're doing and why.

I had a mate who was an alcoholic and was being told by his closest friends that he wasn't, it was fine etc. They made no effort to help him on his journey of turning his life around. They told him he'd never be able to complete a 10 mile run he set as a 1 year target, that it was a waste of time. Stay as you are, don't change was the message they were feeding him.
I told him he should tell them to get fcked. If he wanted to get help and wasn't happy with his life, do it.
The run - there are some right fatso's that get round that course and they're twice the size of you so get training and do it.
But so and so said I can't do it.
WTF!! That guys your childhood friend, and he's also a total dick.

In the last five years he's been in and out of rehab a couple of times, but has moved away, retrained as an addiction counsellor and moved his life forward. I barely have any contact with him now, he's pretty much left his entire old life behind and moved on.
Oh, and he did the 10 miles, said he'd never do it again. Laughing

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

The second part, I disagree. I'm not sure constructing helpful advice is always what you need. Sometimes you just need someone to be honest with you - straight talking and to the point. That makes you stop and think about what you're doing and why.

That was sort of my point.

I subscribe to the "advice is a form of nostalgia" train of thought not. Advice and straight shooting is easy to get, but good advice is often more difficult.

I have listened to some truly awful advice in my time, from some incredible dingbats.

In your case, had you not been around, the barflies would have kept your friend in their net with their good advice.

What I'm saying in... a good friend can give you some great advice, of course, but you are lucky if they do. It is not a reasonable requirement.

And Roger, you confuse "white knight" with "not a child". They are three dimensional people too... get to know a few of them Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:41 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was more about sex tourists than those who cater to them, but you keep on tilting at those windmills, bruv.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
I would tend to agree with you, however if the last 4 years have taught me anything, it is that mates don't want to hear mates whinging.

Then they aren't real mates. Simple as that.

What they don't want to hear, is someone constantly whinging who's not prepared to do anything about the situation they're moaning about.

Quote:
And you can ask for a lot from mates, but the ability to construct helpful healthy advice is not something you can reasonably expect.

You'd be surprised. I've got three mates who have helped me out through some pretty dark times (berevement, depression etc.). as I say, it's all about who you choose to be friends with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:37 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of good advice here, but I'll add to the point that it all hinges on the therapist (and the quality thereof).

Had 2 sets a couple of years ago, 1st was just "talking therapy", total trash, 2nd was CBT but with difficult (for me) tasks to do between sessions and plenty of guided self analysis. It was a big help, but fairly random that I got a good one the 2nd time around.

Friends aren't therapists, a certain amount of whinging is just part of human interaction but don't over do it and ruin a perfectly good friendship.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Plenty of good advice here, but I'll add to the point that it all hinges on the therapist (and the quality thereof).

Had 2 sets a couple of years ago, 1st was just "talking therapy", total trash, 2nd was CBT but with difficult (for me) tasks to do between sessions and plenty of guided self analysis. It was a big help, but fairly random that I got a good one the 2nd time around.

Friends aren't therapists, a certain amount of whinging is just part of human interaction but don't over do it and ruin a perfectly good friendship.

I have to ask, what made you go to the-rapist? I mean what really made you? I understant some people are very anxious, having panic attacks, all kinds of psychosomatic issues which are one of the results of all the strees and unhealthily exaggerated sensitivity to any impulse.

What was your: ''I've got to seek help'', impulse?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:22 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I have to ask, what made you go to the-rapist? I mean what really made you? I understant some people are very anxious, having panic attacks, all kinds of psychosomatic issues which are one of the results of all the strees and unhealthily exaggerated sensitivity to any impulse.

What was your: ''I've got to seek help'', impulse?

That's an incredibly personal question... oh people-skill-less Czech person.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:28 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It *is* a very good question, and although it does seem personal and difficult, I reckon it's not a bad indicator as to whether or not the "therapy" has helped/is helping.

For my part, I had become so fucked up about the relationship that had developed between myself and my mother, that I had googled "matricide" and started to look up cases online of children who had killed their mother - and making judgments on their justifications for it Shocked

So when I mentioned that to the MIND people, it seems that was the point at which their triage process cranked up a notch or two ... Shifty

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

So when I mentioned that to the MIND people, it seems that was the point at which their triage process cranked up a notch or two ... Shifty

I see. And how did that make you feel?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the normal neurotic type, which is frankly most people. Self help books are just as effective over all as paying out to see a councilor/psychotherapist/psychiatrist. You just have to be prepared to follow the program. As for counciling you might find your employer may fork out for it as part of any employee assistance program. If you are needing something more intensive then thats an NHS matter.

The problem is with more and more publicity around mental health the whole system is bunged up with people getting referred from GPs who probably would be best picking up a book. The so called "worried well", thiz annoys me greatly as charity contractors line up to take on these clients as theyre easy going and dont need much real resources to pump through the charities system. Thus leaving the genuinely seriouslt afflicted living in institutions rather than being reabilutated and supported to live in the community.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, since I last checked it FOUR people have chosen the first option.

Big change Thumbs Up

Well, I learnt new words today. Captious... Keen to pettifog

My big issue is I see the worst in everything. People, places, jobs, cultures, languages.

I can force myself to see the good, I can consciously remember it. Yet the flaws just leap out at me. It's like a superpower.

It's great when dealing with genuine problems and issues, not so great when you start discovering problems (that others don't see at all).

I can learn not to gossip, whinge, rant or generally be a dick about things... and I've had a lot of success. Spotting glaring holes in plans or strategies is not such a bad thing at all, it is very handy, and can be great.

But slowly finding all the petty problems in an otherwise good thing is career suicide and a recipe for sadness.

So, I would like to stop this.

Recommend me a self help shyster.

I'll save my therapy bucks for whinging about how my Daddy wasn't quite perfect enough Laughing

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:41 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Wow, since I last checked it FOUR people have chosen the first option.

Big change Thumbs Up

Well, I learnt new words today. Captious... Keen to pettifog

My big issue is I see the worst in everything. People, places, jobs, cultures, languages.

I can force myself to see the good, I can consciously remember it. Yet the flaws just leap out at me. It's like a superpower.

It's great when dealing with genuine problems and issues, not so great when you start discovering problems (that others don't see at all).

I can learn not to gossip, whinge, rant or generally be a dick about things... and I've had a lot of success. Spotting glaring holes in plans or strategies is not such a bad thing at all, it is very handy, and can be great.

But slowly finding all the petty problems in an otherwise good thing is career suicide and a recipe for sadness.

So, I would like to stop this.

Recommend me a self help shyster.

I'll save my therapy bucks for whinging about how my Daddy wasn't quite perfect enough Laughing

Don't stop. Just learn to keep it to yourself.

That puts you ahead of the game so you can position yourself better, avoid the issues that others stumble into etc.

Bosses etc. only get upset with "inferiors" pointing out the shortcomings of their plans. Being able to keep quiet stops the boss seeing you as negative. Feed the problems in later as positive questions

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a CBT for dummies book you could try.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:39 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without going into detail, my wife had/has a quite specific anxiety which had got to the point where it was impacting on day-to-day life.
Preventing her from going out, being unable to see friends/family, causing panic attacks.

I encouraged her to sign up for an evening CBT course run by local NHS, was around 8-10 sessions. I offered to go with her if she wanted and I was allowed, and suprisingly there were free spaces.

First few weeks seemed like a lot of emphasis on how anxiety works, what it looks like, symptoms etc. Second half was more 'tools' to use to try and minimise occurances of anxiety, or to recognise when it is happening and apply in the moment to reassure yourself.
It was all quite interesting, and stuff I hadn't really ever thought of before, but as it was a group session there was rarely any discussion of specific problems. It was always hypothetical situations.

She then started going to individual counselling, where she talked through the specifics of her anxiety, and past trauma events.

She is far less anxious these days, but I wonder how much of that is directly attributable to the courses.
We've stopped doing the excercises and she no longer goes to counselling.
Glad we did it, but had we been paying for it I don't think we would necessarily have seen massive value for money.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often just saying stuff out loud to an independent unconnected person gives a certain clarity to the situation and allows you to sort your own issues, however that does rather depend on how screwed up you really are.
I'd guess many on here are way past being helped... I probably am...

If it's a small issue then you may find a counsellor is a worthwhile and cheaper option...

subpardave
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:39 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Major positive on the poll. Therapy helped me realise I was in an abusive relationship and to understand what it has done to my sense of self.

It may sound strange, but talking therapy has helped me hugely with anxiety and depression related to the above.
A good therapist however is the key - and this is a very variable area!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3