Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting music off an iPhone onto an Android

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Getting music off an iPhone onto an Android Reply with quote

Can't be too difficult right? Chuffing wrong.... Evil or Very Mad

Recently decided to change my missus iPhone 5C to a Samsung A5, get away from all that useless inability to drag and drop stuff when connecting directly to a PC.
I hate iTunes, it's crap and have avoided it at all costs.

So she bought a few albums on her iPhone over the time she had it, now these want to be on the new phone so she can carry on listening to them.
I've tried an App called iFunbox which says it can help, but when it's installed it says I also need iTunes. I begrudgingly download this thinking it's just the once and then I can get rid forever.... but no, got an error message and it won't fully install.
Tried the fix of uninstalling everything to do with Apple, then reinstalling but keep getting the same problem. The laptop is only a couple of months old and fully up to date with Windows 10.

Anyone know of any alternate ways of getting music off an iPhone onto a PC, or will we just have to suck it up and re-buy the music online again?
Never again with Apple... Evil or Very Mad
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I know this isn't much help... but who buys music anymore?

I mean I never did, when I was younger I used to steal it, now I'm older I pay by subscription - Spotify.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

I mean I never did, when I was younger I used to steal it, now I'm older I pay by subscription - Spotify.

We do, don't see any point paying a subscription when we only want the odd song or album through the year. Plus I'd much rather have my own library and play that than some App constantly make suggestions, showing ad's and trying to second guess my playlists. Believe it or not, I can do that myself for free and choose what I want.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
vice wrote:

We do, don't see any point paying a subscription when we only want the odd song or album through the year. Plus I'd much rather have my own library and play that than some App constantly make suggestions, showing ad's and trying to second guess my playlists. Believe it or not, I can do that myself for free and choose what I want.

1. you don't get ads if you pay
2. you can have your own library consisting of *ANYTHING you want
3. suggestions are optional

* realise there is a tiny percentage you can't, but have copies of those and add them anyway.

I guess some people are boring and just listen to the same songs over and over again, whilst others like to explore music

Also you don't have to use itunes to put music on an iphone, there are plenty of better options

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:21 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

1. you don't get ads if you pay
2. you can have your own library consisting of *ANYTHING you want
3. suggestions are optional

* realise there is a tiny percentage you can't, but have copies of those and add them anyway.

I guess some people are boring and just listen to the same songs over and over again, whilst others like to explore music

Also you don't have to use itunes to put music on an iphone, there are plenty of better options

+1 Thumbs Up

All what you said about spotify is false.

To get your itunes stuff onto your android, you will have to download itunes for PC, Download your songs using itunes to the PC then copy them from the itunes folder (Documents/Music/itunes I think)

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the cost of 1 album a month, I can listen to hundreds. Thumbs Up

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4080078?tstart=0

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

I don't want to buy an album a month, and don't have time to listen to hundreds... each to our own eh.
Also, thanks for the link - but since I can't get iTunes to work, I can't do anything with the music that way.

I'm just asking if anyone has found any software OTHER than iTunes that can download music from an iPhone to a PC? Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:46 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
vice wrote:

I don't want to buy an album a month, and don't have time to listen to hundreds... each to our own eh.
Also, thanks for the link - but since I can't get iTunes to work, I can't do anything with the music that way.

I'm just asking if anyone has found any software OTHER than iTunes that can download music from an iPhone to a PC? Thumbs Up

I haven't had an iPhone in years but the only time I tired doing this it was a nightmare. The Iphone puts the songs in random folders with random names. Getting them off wasn't a problem the problem was I had 20 folders of songs names dfjh3worgfnweiyb.aac.

Things might have changed since then but I doubt it. Forget about getting them off of the phone. I think the best way is as I said before, install iTunes download the tracks via iTunes then copy them to the phone.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

File names are randomised, but ID3 tags are left in tact.

So if you play it using any halfway decent phone or program made after about 2006 then it will show the correct information.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Getting music off an iPhone onto an Android Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Can't be too difficult right? Chuffing wrong.... Evil or Very Mad

Recently decided to change my missus iPhone 5C to a Samsung A5, get away from all that useless inability to drag and drop stuff when connecting directly to a PC.
I hate iTunes, it's crap and have avoided it at all costs.

So she bought a few albums on her iPhone over the time she had it, now these want to be on the new phone so she can carry on listening to them.
I've tried an App called iFunbox which says it can help, but when it's installed it says I also need iTunes. I begrudgingly download this thinking it's just the once and then I can get rid forever.... but no, got an error message and it won't fully install.
Tried the fix of uninstalling everything to do with Apple, then reinstalling but keep getting the same problem. The laptop is only a couple of months old and fully up to date with Windows 10.

Anyone know of any alternate ways of getting music off an iPhone onto a PC, or will we just have to suck it up and re-buy the music online again?
Never again with Apple... Evil or Very Mad

As you've already bought the music [and can't get access to it], I wouldn't feel too guilty about using BitTorrent (or similar) to replace it like-for-like.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software is it running? A bit late now but this is why I jailbreak my devices, you never have to go near itunes again.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncios.

I used that to rip an entire snapshot of a phone, pulled out the folders containing music, converted to MP3 in bulk and imported. ID3 dealt with names.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Syncios.

I used that to rip an entire snapshot of a phone, pulled out the folders containing music, converted to MP3 in bulk and imported. ID3 dealt with names.

This

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:50 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much quicker and much simpler to just download the albums from your local torrent site instead of fucking around fighting to get the music off the iPhone.

And Laughing @ all the Spotify hatred when you haven't actually used it. Give the 30 day free trial a go and see why lots of people opt for Spotify. Thumbs Up

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, if you sync back to a PC, get the files from the Apple random file system, then use a program like ID3 Tag-IT to tranfer tag data to file name, resort into folder if required.

Then when you go back from Android to Apple, click the button in iTunes that says "Fuck off Apple, I'm an adult I can sort my own music out, just scan it into your DB and leave the fuck alone"*

*not sure if this applies to bought music.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for spotify Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It's much quicker and much simpler to just download the albums from your local torrent site instead of fucking around fighting to get the music off the iPhone.

And Laughing @ all the Spotify hatred when you haven't actually used it. Give the 30 day free trial a go and see why lots of people opt for Spotify. Thumbs Up

I tried it years ago and uninstalled when I realised it was stealing half my hard drive space Smile Can you 'capture' the streams? I used to use we7/blinkbox music, it was free and you could steal the music. That's probably why they went bust Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are ways of recording the stream so you can steal the music from Spotify but it'd much easier to just download the albums (or their entire discography) from your local torrent website. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so, although often I only want one track and not the whole album/disco Smile Also the music's the same quality/levels etc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:25 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look to see how much space Spotify is using on my computer and it's using 5GB. Laughing

Oh well. Laughing

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I looked into Spotify over the weekend as I don't want to diss something I don't know much about.
And yep, I'd still steer clear. Laughing

Not worth me paying monthly when I'd pay less over a year for the albums I'd want on CD or downloadable from Amazon or somewhere. Plus once on Spotify, what if I decided to leave them - all the content gets blocked or deleted and I'm back to square one. It also doesn't let you have the same album on multiple devices, i.e some albums both my wife and I like but we don't want to use the same account and have all the same music on all devices.

Also, I tried Syncios but this won't work either - it states iTunes needs installing. but iTunes won't install, I've tried reinstalling several times and always come up with the same error. After extensive Googling and changing different settings, I've still got no further.

I've now given up, at least we've only lost about 5 or 6 albums purchased through Apple. Could be worse...
And this is also the reason for not going with Spotify or any of the other Streaming sites. At the end of the day, personally it suits me more to own the music, then I can do with it what I want.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:14 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you no longer want to pay for Spotify then you account goes back to being a free account, the content doesn't get blocked or deleted. (well, you can no longer play stuff when offline but that's besides the point Laughing)

If you've got the paid membership then you can have the same music downloaded to three devices.

Meh, sounds like you're happier fighting against your iPhone, iTunes and Syncios with some extensive Googling for added fun.

"personally it suits me more to own the music, then I can do with it what I want"

Like you can with the music you've bought from Apple? Laughing

The good news is that you've still got three and a half weeks of your free Spotify trial left. Thumbs Up

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If you no longer want to pay for Spotify then you account goes back to being a free account, the content doesn't get blocked or deleted. (well, you can no longer play stuff when offline but that's besides the point Laughing)

- Hardly besides the point, means I waste my mobile data streaming, and what if I live in a bad signal area or go on holiday somewhere without a signal (which is what I'll be doing for 2 weeks in a short while).

Ste wrote:
If you've got the paid membership then you can have the same music downloaded to three devices.

- Yes but having to use the same account on each device, making it more difficult to personalise.

Ste wrote:
Meh, sounds like you're happier fighting against your iPhone, iTunes and Syncios with some extensive Googling for added fun.

"personally it suits me more to own the music, then I can do with it what I want"
Like you can with the music you've bought from Apple? Laughing

- but that's just it, I don't really 'own' it do I - I can't take it away from Apple with me (well I could if the friggin' iTunes worked).

Ste wrote:
The good news is that you've still got three and a half weeks of your free Spotify trial left. Thumbs Up

- Nope, coz I never signed up for it, just did lots of research. The good news is I don't have to mess about cancelling everything when they try to start charging after the first month Laughing Thumbs Up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So still shitting on something you haven't even tried, right Thumbs Up

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
So still shitting on something you haven't even tried, right Thumbs Up

So as someone with depth of experience in this, tell me where I'm wrong on my last post?

I haven't tried sitting on a grenade and pulling the pin but I'll do shitting on that too if you want. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3