BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting music off an iPhone onto an Android

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for a start you can create as many personalised playlists as you want for yourself or anyone else that uses the account.

There are a ton of free tools that allow you to keep your Spotify music if you're too cheap to continue paying the subscription.

Cancelling the subscription is about 2-3 clicks, such a PITA Rolling Eyes

Buying digital albums seems to be working great for you so far! I guarantee you apple is not the issue, the problem originates elsewhere...

You should just go back to buying CD's and then ripping to digital, although something tells me that might cause more problems that will no doubt be the fault of the disc publisher.

Clearly we're never going to convince you otherwise as you obviously know better than everyone else. Good luck.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Clearly we're never going to convince you otherwise as you obviously know better than everyone else. Good luck.

I do know what would suit me better than everyone else, likewise you seem to think you know me better than I do... Rolling Eyes

I don't want to start faffing about even more with free tools, I've had my time doing that and quite frankly prefer spending time with my family and being out and about.
And I've already put all of our home CD's onto my laptop, which is why I can also have it all on an SD card playing in my car. Just need to keep doing this instead of relying on Streaming sites.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas though. Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

- Hardly besides the point, means I waste my mobile data streaming, and what if I live in a bad signal area or go on holiday somewhere without a signal (which is what I'll be doing for 2 weeks in a short while).

You can download playlists to your device with one-click, if you have a pov-spec data plan, then just sync stuff before you leave the house.

Feasty wrote:
Yes but having to use the same account on each device, making it more difficult to personalise.

Personally, I use Google Play music these days - but it's very similar to Spotify. I can have six distinct users on my account which can all operate independently from one another, but if I use the same user across my own personal devices then all of my stuff is there, as I want it.

Feasty wrote:

- but that's just it, I don't really 'own' it do I

But ultimately, so what? I used to be like this, I was a one-maybe-two-albums a year kinda guy - I used to listen to the same collection of songs in different orders - but since I took the plunge and signed up to Spotify (before jumping ship to Play Music) I now listen to _far_ more music than I used to. The system learns the types of music that I like and suggests music that I may like, which actually works really well.

Feasty wrote:

- Nope, coz I never signed up for it, just did lots of research. The good news is I don't have to mess about cancelling everything when they try to start charging after the first month Laughing Thumbs Up

It isn't 2005 any longer, all mainstream firms wised up to this a long time ago (Netflix/Play/Spotify et al) - if they make if hard for you to leave (like they did yesteryear), then they'd maybe gain an extra month out of you, but you're not going to go back, ever. They now make it _extremely_ easy to leave and re-join as and when you want, they do not want a bad taste left in the customer's mouth. Try it.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah goto10, I used to use Spotify too and now use Apple Music (gosh traitor!), they're all pretty much the same. Sync everything to my phone and play music wherever I go, whether it's on the bike, in the car (Bluetooth) or in a tent in the middle of nowhere with no reception.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:00 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripping music from CDs?

srsly? Confused

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ripping music from CDs?

srsly? Confused

How else would you get your 80+ albums from the past into your phone/ipod/ipad/PC to then be able to bluetooth it all over? Question
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

I don't want to start faffing about even more with free tools, I've had my time doing that and quite frankly prefer spending time with my family and being out and about.

Feasty wrote:

And I've already put all of our home CD's onto my laptop......
80+ albums ...

Shocked
Whilst you were ripping your CDs, I was spending time with my family and [enjoying] being out and about.

Feasty wrote:

How else would you get your 80+ albums from the past into your phone/ipod/ipad/PC to then be able to bluetooth it all over?

I dunno, if only there was some sort of service that contained all of that music, that'd let you play it on pretty much any device.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:09 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
How else would you get your 80+ albums from the past into your phone/ipod/ipad/PC to then be able to bluetooth it all over? Question

Unless you've got painfully slow internet then it's much quicker to download them from your favorite torrent site.

However I'd just play them using Spotify. Wink

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

srsly... so after having paid for all your CD's, you'd then pay even more every month to have those very same songs and albums available on your devices.
Each to their own eh! Shocked

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Laughing

srsly... so after having paid for all your CD's, you'd then pay even more every month to have those very same songs and albums available on your devices.

That's the bit you're not getting, we don't continually listen to the same stuff - (and I don't mean all new music, there's plenty of old stuff that I didn't really know existed that I've since happened upon) - and we don't have to worry about how to move/get access to that music, just login on the nearest device and off you go.

(Voice controlled music searching via my helmet-mounted Sena is great too - I get my money's worth just by my 2.5~3 hours of commuting each day, yet alone the 8+ hours I use it during work time. I think I'd get bored of the same 80 CDs pretty quickly, yet alone faffing around with some crappy MP3 playback software...)
Each to their own, indeed.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sitting here pondering this, going back to MP3s in a folder would genuinely be horrible. It's not just about 'owning' the music, it's the whole user experience that sells it to me. I believe this is the bit Feasty isn't really getting.

E.g. I open up Play music on my computer, it then suggests some playlists (based on where I am and time of day - using previous trends/tastes as a starting point) - so I hit something I fancy the look of (or the prettiest picture) and I start listening. As the music starts playing I give the various tracks thumbs up or down and things evolve from there. Sometimes I might think 'Yeah, this band is good, let's drill down and play more of their stuff' - or I might click 'Start radio' which then creates a virtual radio station that plays music in the style/genre of the track I was listening to. (All the while, skynet Google is learning what I like, when and where I like it)

Returning from this to staring at a list of MP3s in a directory or clicking 'shuffle' would be utterly, utterly rubbish.

I feel for you Feasty, you and your grey list of samey ripped MP3s in a folder.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:16 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Laughing

I haven't got many CDs and haven't bought any in 10-15 years.

I've always gone for downloading everything I want for free as MP3 files until I started using Spotify. It's just so much more convenient, I've got immediate access on any of my devices to what is for all intents and purposes every album and single that exists.

And much like goto10, I don't just listen to the same albums again and again. The suggestions from Spotify are actually good suggestions, if you select an album and play the "album radio" then you get a playlist of songs based on what other people who've liked that album also like.

There is no messing around getting albums onto your phone/ipod/ipad/PC to then be able to bluetooth it all over, that all sounds so tediously unnecessary and old fashioned. Laughing

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Feasty wrote:
Laughing

That's the bit you're not getting, we don't continually listen to the same stuff - (and I don't mean all new music, there's plenty of old stuff that I didn't really know existed that I've since happened upon) - and we don't have to worry about how to move/get access to that music, just login on the nearest device and off you go.

(Voice controlled music searching via my helmet-mounted Sena is great too - I get my money's worth just by my 2.5~3 hours of commuting each day, yet alone the 8+ hours I use it during work time. I think I'd get bored of the same 80 CDs pretty quickly, yet alone faffing around with some crappy MP3 playback software...)

Ouch - work closer to home and you can spend more time with your family and enjoy being out and about Wink

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
goto10 wrote:

Ouch - work closer to home and you can spend more time with your family and enjoy being out and about Wink

Heh, touché.*

*Edit - not actually touché - I thought you were Feasty. Pfff, haven't you got 150 hours of programming to be getting on with in order to turn your television on?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Just sitting here pondering this, going back to MP3s in a folder would genuinely be horrible. It's not just about 'owning' the music, it's the whole user experience that sells it to me. I believe this is the bit Feasty isn't really getting.

Might work for some people but personally I don't care for it at all. If you have an eclectic taste in music the recommendations are going to be way off, so I'd rather listen to music I know I like without spunking through my data allowance, or paying for the privilege. Also there's a lot of stuff (remixes etc.) not on streaming services.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:59 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
If you have an eclectic taste in music the recommendations are going to be way off

You have tried it?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
M.C wrote:
If you have an eclectic taste in music the recommendations are going to be way off

You have tried it?

What service? I've tried Spotify but not Google Play or Apple music. Used a few other services that had recommendations and they were fairly useless.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

got about 100gb of music that I "own" sitting on a NAS that I haven't touched in about 3 years, been putting off going through it all trying to find stuff that I can't get through music services and get rid of the rest, it's a monumental job Neutral

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, okay, okay I get it - I'm an old git with an old music mentality! Laughing

I like listening to the same albums over and over again, maybe go back to ones I bought years ago and go - 'Oh yeah, they were great!'. I'll buy the odd album through the year 1-3 perhaps, but generally I either listen to what I've got or if I want to listen to something different - I'll turn the radio on. I certainly don't feel the need to pay to be spoon fed music I might not like, I'm capable of finding music I like myself, or from word of mouth.

Music isn't my life though, I listen to the local radio to and from work and occasionally an album or 2. And I don't get time to listen to music at work - that's when I work. My wife is the same.

So whilst you continue to push Spotify, streaming etc to the hilt regardless, try to bear in mind we don't all have the same interest/passion for it. Thumbs Up

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install iTunes and sync the library. Go to music folder. Copy and paste files on to new phone.

Not difficult. Drag and drop

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
Install iTunes and sync the library. Go to music folder. Copy and paste files on to new phone.

Not difficult. Drag and drop

He said he's having issues installing iTunes

Feasty, I get it, we were genuinely trying to help, but you're right it doesn't seem suitable for your needs. Like others have said just torrent the albums, you've already paid for them.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy your CDs from Amazon you often have the option to download them too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of the major names offer lossless downloads? I've only ever noticed it with smaller companies.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd butt in here.... I haven't downloaded any music for a few years now, but I started back when you had to upload a song to an FTP site to download 2, it could take up to a week for 1 song too (good ol' dial up).

I've used Spotify on a friends mac and didn't get on with it (spotify or the mac), if I want to listen to a particular song (that I don't have), then I'll watch it on youtube usually.

My current MP3 folder contains this:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/andy36586/MP3s_zpslel05x0k.jpg
One of my ex's got an ipod, which I downloaded itunes to transfer music to it.... it started converting the above collection to .aac files.

The thing that got me though was trying to remove itunes.... after a couple of hours fighting with it, it was easier to just format the C: drive and start over.

Since then I've had a hatred for cr-Apple products.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:38 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
if I want to listen to something different - I'll turn the radio on. I certainly don't feel the need to pay to be spoon fed music I might not like

Errrr... Laughing

Spotify is much smarter than the radio as it learns what you do and don't like. Wink

https://www.wired.com/2016/02/youre-probably-listening-to-spotify-wrong-be-a-power-user/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3