Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen bikes sold on facebook...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Stolen bikes sold on facebook... Reply with quote

I keep hearing how the degenerates that steal bikes openly sell them on facebook and instagram. Does anyone know the site/profile names? I'm curious how no one has yet gone and cut these little shits up into pieces and why the police don't follow up on them.

I'm not on facebook myself but will setup an account if only to check out these profiles and see if my last two GSXRs show up anywhere. Not because I want the bikes back though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:31 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems encountered from the very beginning with UKMTP is that they took it upon themselves to take vigilante action against potential vigilantes, and, when they discovered thief accounts and adverts, would blank out the names and locations. Then, when asked, accuse the questioner of being a thief or challenging their fictional authoritah on behalf of Her Majesty's Secret Service. Shaken, not stirred, please. Full of BS.

Yes, the names and addresses of bike thieves in Bristol are known. In London, their locations are known but there are strategic and tactical considerations around blocks of council flats where there are lots of entry and exit routes.

What you're implying in terms of action is fraught with these problems and with the fact that as a recent theft victim you may be angrier than anyone else knows, and may put others in a situation where they are potentially complicit in a homicide. Nobody wants that.

That's why I say organisation before anything. Organisation, organisation, organisation, and no shortcuts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen suspect pitbikes for sale on Facebook, but no big boy bikes. If you're stupid enough to list a stolen bike on Facebook, you're not clever enough to get around lack of V5 etc... so it only works for Crossers, pitbikes, quads and minimotos really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a user on Instagram called BristolBikeTaker who brags about stealing bikes and even mocks people who's bikes he's stolen. One of his bum chums got SMIDSY'd not so long ago...

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:39 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've seen suspect pitbikes for sale on Facebook, but no big boy bikes. If you're stupid enough to list a stolen bike on Facebook, you're not clever enough to get around lack of V5 etc... so it only works for Crossers, pitbikes, quads and minimotos really.

The problem is the people buying them for £5 and a quick hand job are well aware they're nicked and don't have keys/V5 they don't care.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:52 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
[The usual meandering I-know-something-you-don't-know waffle]

You know nothing, Rufous Snow.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few pop up on a group I am in. Spotty little 15/16 in uniform year old does not own a Speed Triple, and is not "bored of it, selling on, no V5, keys lost," one week, and the next flogging a ZX6/9R (He wasn't sure what he had) for the same reason.

Trouble is, no-one else gives a fuck if they can get it cheap.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking how the whereabouts of these people is known but they're out of reach because logistics.

I'm not angry anymore about the theft of my bikes, in fact I'm over it. Got payout from insurance and i'm happy with it. Likely won't buy another bike though, purely because insurance hike.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait did your replacement get stolen?
the black one you got a few months back?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
wait did your replacement get stolen?
the black one you got a few months back?

Yep Crying or Very sad

Taken from the multi-storey near work during the day.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dafuq, that's shit Sad sorry fella

what security was on the bike? no tracker?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
dafuq, that's shit Sad sorry fella

what security was on the bike? no tracker?

Funny story about the tracker, I had a booked a guy to come round to install it on a Thursday, bike got nicked on Tuesday!

There was an Abus disc lock on it, they couldn't get through the lock so cut a slice out of the brake disc itself and slid the lock out.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:43 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Rufous wrote:
[The usual meandering I-know-something-you-don't-know waffle]

Tbh, I thought you had a background in organisational techniques, and a history of involvement in bike organisations and activism, but it's becoming obvious that you don't and that you never did. You just sound incredibly bitter, like most of your do-nothing cohorts. Here is where your importance starts and ends for you. All I'm doing is advocating organisation-building first, before anything else. Take your envy and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

There was an Abus disc lock on it, they couldn't get through the lock so cut a slice out of the brake disc itself and slid the lock out.

no anchorage/chain?
suppose it doesn't matter they wanted it and were having it.

which area in London?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

no anchorage/chain?
suppose it doesn't matter they wanted it and were having it.

which area in London?

Tower Hill car park.

Unfortunately no chain, although the other bike that got taken at the same time (2014 ninja) was chained to the railing in the carpark with a 16mm chain which they cut through like it was cheese.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

fork sakes, not too far from me Evil or Very Mad oh well if it happens it happens, or maybe it's when it happens it happens

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 21:01 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most convenient for bikers is a disc and a chain i guess.
Are alarms and or immobilizers that good against thieves anymore? I'm out of touch.
What do people use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:43 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up a fb account and join UKMTP on facebook, and a bunch of other buying/selling groups local to your area and your bike might pop up. UKMTP posts shit loads of stolen/dumped bikes daily.

I've got two FB profiles who are confirmed thieves if you want the links I'll PM them to you, if I recognise either of them in person on their ones it's a wrap.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:11 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Tbh, I thought you had a background in organisational techniques, and a history of involvement in bike organisations and activism, but it's becoming obvious that you don't and that you never did. You just sound incredibly bitter, like most of your do-nothing cohorts. Here is where your importance starts and ends for you. All I'm doing is advocating organisation-building first, before anything else. Take your envy and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

You should've read the sign before sleeping with La Borg.

https://danglingmouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/escalated-quickly-15.png

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:13 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufous wrote:
All I'm doing is advocating organisation-building first, before anything else.

Demonstrated by what examples?

Where have you actively advocated anything?

Seems to me that your schtick is to spaff on in a self aggrandising but non specific way about your secret role in bringing Bat Justice to the pikeys, some day, some how, with a sideline in shouldering a huge chip about this one time that a copper didn't call you "sir".

What exactly have you advocated? Can you point at it? What specific recommendations have you made, or detailed, useful advice have you given regarding dealing with bike thefts?

I'm sympathetic to the cause. So why am I hostile to you? Consider all possibilities.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

Are alarms and or immobilizers that good against thieves anymore?

When was the last time you heard a alarm going off and stopped and went to investigate ? Most people just carry on as normal..

Immobilizer, Ain't no good when it's chucked into the back of a van..

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:07 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iooi"]
killa wrote:
Immobilizer, Ain't no good when it's chucked into the back of a van..

Au contre Rodney ...

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/archive/2014/march/ducati-stolen-recovered

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:09 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:

Ummm an immobilizer is not a tracker...

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:24 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
Motorhate wrote:

Oops. Soz, I is spaz.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:23 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
Motorhate wrote:

I was having a look on Aliexpress last night and saw some cheap trackers. Does anyone know if they're any good? Any experiences?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7