Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR 125 pistons and rings, ¿where and what to buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

david451
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: NSR 125 pistons and rings, ¿where and what to buy? Reply with quote

i bough my nsr as a second hand bike with 34k milleage,its at 41k now, im clueless about what mainteance the bike has received, for now the engine seems to work fine i dont find anything strange, i dont have a tool to measure the compresion of the cylinder but the idle is pretty stable and as top speed it reach about 145km/h more or less, dont know if its normal power or not.

Anyway, since its better prevent than cure i was thinking about change piston and rings, after some research i found mitaka, meteor, vertex, wossner, namura pistons, and of course original honda pistons.

So, ¿where to get a quality piston at a good price? ¿are anything outside vertex and wossner worth it? i checked davidsilverspares but pistons seems to be out of stock...

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:10 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to strip it down first to see the what piston is already in there first, it may be an oversize.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: NSR 125 pistons and rings, ¿where and what to buy? Reply with quote

david451 wrote:

Anyway, since its better prevent than cure i was thinking about change piston and rings,

Whilst I would agree in a lot of areas the heart of an engine is not one of them. Apart from the cost of the pistons and rings add in gasket set, re-hone of barrels plus the time the bike is off the road plus additional cost to rectify bits that break when stripping down and it all becomes a pain.

In this case, if it ain't broke don't fix it until it needs new parts.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: NSR 125 pistons and rings, ¿where and what to buy? Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:
david451 wrote:

Anyway, since its better prevent than cure i was thinking about change piston and rings,

Whilst I would agree in a lot of areas the heart of an engine is not one of them. Apart from the cost of the pistons and rings add in gasket set, re-hone of barrels plus the time the bike is off the road plus additional cost to rectify bits that break when stripping down and it all becomes a pain.

In this case, if it ain't broke don't fix it until it needs new parts.

I've not done a top end rebuild however as I understand it they are relatively easy to do. and there isn't a lot to take of to get to it. Gaskets aren't much at all a top end set for my RXS is less than a fiver. I very much doubt an NSR would be more than £10.

Since the piston is a service item I think it would be prudent to change.

With a 2t especially a higher performance one it is more a case of if it ain't broke consider fixing it because it might blow up and scrap the barrell/rod.

david451
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

even considering the owner put in new piston and rings(which i doubt) they would have by now 7k, so anyway the maintenance schedule ask for a rings change at 12k milleage...

believe me i have learn by bad ways how truth this phrase is "if it aint broken dont fix it" and expending 100 euro on piston and rings and another 20 on gaskets doesnt make me very happy either.....but thing is, using 120e now or risking to fuck up the whole cylinder and be forced to expend 300e later

Another solution is buying a compresion tester for 18e, but, anyway, soon or later i will be forced to buy a piston and rings so any advices on quality prices and where to buy are very apreciated!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheduled maintenance on a two stroke as said is the right thing to do. You can damage the head, Cylinder, crank/rod and even the cases if it siezes or the piston or rings break up.

The last cylinder I had welded, repaired and re-plated came in at £416, but that included some tuning work and a new matched piston kit and gaskets.

Its very different on a four stroke, as wear or low compression alone is very unlikely to cause catastrophic block/head damage. The weak link in a thumper is usually the head gasket.

In fact if you don't overrev a four stroke or break a cam belt/chain, your very unlikely to cause any serious component damage by letting it wear out and smoke/knock before a re-build.

You could score crank journals I suppose from extreme bearing wear, or from spinning a shell. But it's not that likely as shells don't spin for no reason, and serious wear enough to damage the crank would mean the engine would be making such a horrific knocking, you'd be too scared to run it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1