Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone recommend a current account WITHOUT internet banking?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Anyone recommend a current account WITHOUT internet banking? Reply with quote

Looks like my bank is going down the toilet soon.

I'm looking for another current account but any I've seen at pretty much make you have online banking.

I have long felt the most secure way to do online banking is not to.

Couldn't give a damn about interest rates. Don't need an overdraught. Don't want to pay a monthly fee. Needs to do direct debits, standing orders have a cheque book and accept a monthly wage payment. Not even slightly interested in foreign holiday discounts, etc. etc.

Basically, just a simple current account which doesn't force you to have online banking.

Maybe there's no such thing?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Anyone recommend a current account WITHOUT internet bank Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Looks like my bank is going down the toilet soon.

Who's that, co-op? I only use online banking through the app, it's actually pretty handy.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online banking is fairly secure nowadays, what with the two factor authentication system most use.

Also, if there ever was a breach, you wouldn't lose out personally. It is like people that don't want a contactless card because they think they will get money stolen from them. If you are unlucky enough to have something like that happen, the banks are very quick to put it right and you the customer would never actually lose out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:45 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Anyone recommend a current account WITHOUT internet bank Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
have a cheque book

Are the Knights Templar still in business?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Online banking is fairly secure nowadays, what with the two factor authentication system most use.

Also, if there ever was a breach, you wouldn't lose out personally. It is like people that don't want a contactless card because they think they will get money stolen from them. If you are unlucky enough to have something like that happen, the banks are very quick to put it right and you the customer would never actually lose out.

I don't want contactless. They're pushing it on public transport because a few of us still have unregistered oyster cards (sticking it to the man), once that goes they truly will be able to track everyone. I still try to use cash wherever possible.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:53 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm

I think about the closest you can get to a current account without internet banking would be something like a Natwest Basic account and then not registering for online access.

The most secure way to do online banking is to keep your login details either on a USB stick so there's no danger of details being lost if your computer died / was stolen / was attacked by ransomware / etc etc etc or for ultimate security have them on a device that's not connected to the big bad internets.

Basically, get with the times. Online banking is very convenient and there's nothing to worry about unless you're careless with your passwords.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:58 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah fuck that, you want a cheque book, Natwest basic doesn't do that. Laughing

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#bonus

Therefore you should switch to First Direct or to HSBC.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't want contactless. They're pushing it on public transport because a few of us still have unregistered oyster cards (sticking it to the man), once that goes they truly will be able to track everyone. I still try to use cash wherever possible.

I mean contactless card vs. non contactless card.

If you want to use cash/crypto to keep your finances private then that is totally different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the Post office do cheque a book account with no need to register online.

I say this because my Sister does fk all online and has one and uses cheques.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:13 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I recommend Metrobank just because they are awesome?

I opened a new account in store fairly quickly with just my passport. No fucking around, and they made me a cup of coffee.

Their stores are open constantly, and they encourage you to bring your dog in.

Thumbs Up

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:24 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got account with NatWest and they're waaay OTT with the online security. To allow you to do anything more than read your statement you have to get them to send you a card reader.

Santander let you do things, but send you an authentication code that you have to enter whenever you move money.

Halifax and Lloyds will call you to authenticate a device or a new payee, but then let you transfer as much as you like after that.

I thought they were going to stop doing cheques?

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://businesstoday.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/money-under-mattress.jpg
No smoking in bed allowed though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:11 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bank deals in shillings anymore.

Just because banking gets done online, doesn't mean you gotta. Cheques are going to be obsolete soon, no one will accept, just move with it. My museum piece parents are using banking online...

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wifes Halifax account got hacked twice with a space of 6 months a few years ago. She switched to Nationwide and didn't register for any online stuff as she now refuses to do internet banking.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Cheques are going to be obsolete soon

Cheques may just end up having a renaissance, just like vinyl, as soon cheques will be cleared in a day !!

But I do agree, nothing wrong with internet banking, and you should remain relatively free of problems if you exercise a degree of common sense, especially when dealing with emails.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With first direct now, which is internet and telephone only Shocked haven't been into a bank in about 5 years

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
With first direct now, which is internet and telephone only Shocked haven't been into a bank in about 5 years

Remember folks, that with any bank... You do not have to use the internet banking side...

Also do not know about other banks, but FD do allow you to have a non contactless card. Thumbs Up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep my contactless cards in a rfid blocking wallet, not had any issues with skimming or the likes, although I mainly make payments my phone these days.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Remember folks, that with any bank... You do not have to use the internet banking side...

Exactly this. Just don't use the internet banking.

Sounds like you need a Nationwide Flex Account, seems to tick all your boxes.

They give out cheque books and are still happy for you to walk into a branch, join a massive line of other Luddites. technophobes, old people, kids with pass books, nutters who would rather hand their card over the counter to draw £10 than use the ATM outside the door, saddos who just want a chat, conspiracy theorists, self employed cash touting tax dodgers, time wasters and complainers.... in order for you to sort something out you could have done in 5 minutes at home.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saga don't do a contactless credit card. They also do 11% APR on it. Cool

Of course not much use to you babys under 50 Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help, a few things to look into.

Yes, I'm currently with the coop and it looks like they are going down the pan. I've never activated online banking with them and I've never been in a branch. It doesn't seem necessary to do either.

My degree of trust in banks is low to none but you have to deal with them these days. If it was possible in the modern world, I wouldn't deal with them at all. They are unethical, overtly criminal organisations who we're forced to deal with.

As such, their assertion that "If anything happens we'll sort it out" when it comes to technology related fraud is worthless to me. I don't believe them. They might or they might not and I'm entirely at their mercy because there is no statutory basis for any of these assertions, it's all down to goodwill on the part of the bank. I've listened to people on consumer programs who have had their accounts emptied by really quite sophisticated scams and have been left with nothing.

Also, fuck up an electronic bank transfer with a typo and your money is gone.

I've also de-activated my wireless cards (cut the corner off, breaking the RFID antenna) because once again, there is no statuatory basis for their assertion that they would refund any money spent by someone who stole my wallet (and why the fuck do we have the situation again where someone who steals your wallet can use your card to buy stuff again? That's what chip and pin was supposed to stop, they've just made people a target for mugging again).

A de-activated wireless card has proven quite amusing a couple of times when a shop assistant has snatched my card and tried to put it through wirelessly. They have this smug expression because they think they're being smart by making me use wireless and land up looking like a complete prick.

I'm not stupid/a luddite. I know exactly how vulnerable this shit is to fraud/exploitation which is why I'm not using it.

I need a chequebook to buy dragon rally tickets but you'd be surprised how often it gets used for other stuff too.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:40 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Not true. Most of the accounts I have looked at state setting up online banking is mandatory for new customers.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:42 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I have ever written a cheque, I've had a bank account for ~18 years.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:47 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just popped into my local branch of the CUmberland building society. Apparently, despite what it says on their website, they don't insist on you registering for online banking as long as you go into the branch to setup the account.

Got an appointment for monday and they'll do it all for me apparently.

£500 limit at the ATM with them too, which is handy.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I just popped into my local branch of the CUmberland building society. Apparently, despite what it says on their website, they don't insist on you registering for online banking as long as you go into the branch to setup the account.

Got an appointment for monday and they'll do it all for me apparently.

£500 limit at the ATM with them too, which is handy.

Coop also do £500 ATM limit if you ask.

I don't see any reason to change from them until they do get bought or go under. Your money is protected up to £85k by the FSCS
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2