Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rear axle plate upside down - wut do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Rear axle plate upside down - wut do? Reply with quote

Took the bike to get the tyres fitted yesterday and noticed this morning they've fitted the plate on the left side axle upside down, pictures below.

Do I ring them up and go back over the weekend or buy the tools from Halfords and do it myself in a few hundred miles by taking the wheel out next time the chain needs adjusting?

I ask because I'm obviously unaware and if it's anything more than simply hiding the adjusters, ie: could work loose or w/e, then I'll be popping back.

Right (correctly fitted):
https://s23.postimg.org/qusrlff3f/4_right_1.jpg

Left (fitted upside down):
https://s13.postimg.org/qk682xwg7/5_left.jpg

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be fine, it's purely a cosmetic issue.

But to sort it doesn't need the wheel coming out - just remove the pin from the castellated nut, undo the nut, flip the plate, tighten the nut, put in new pin. Two minutes of a job as long as you have the pin and a socket that fits the nut - which hopefully you do have so you can tension your chain.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:31 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bike I have had would have the tools to do that job in the included toolkit.

How do you adjust the chain without them?

It's fine to leave IMO. I wouldn't visit the garage again, while it's not remotely dangerous is displays a lack or interest/professional pride I wouldn't trust them to do a decent job.
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
But to sort it doesn't need the wheel coming out - just remove the pin from the castellated nut, undo the nut, flip the plate, tighten the nut, put in new pin. Two minutes of a job as long as you have the pin and a socket that fits the nut - which hopefully you do have so you can tension your chain.

So what one of these would I buy?

chris-red wrote:

Every bike I have had would have the tools to do that job in the included toolkit.

How do you adjust the chain without them?

Here's what left of the original toolkit:

https://s27.postimg.org/nbop80clv/toolkit.jpg

I've not had the bike long and have only covered a few hundred miles since I got it.

Was on the to do list but wasn't urgent.

26mm/27mm socket + split pins, once I now what one, is on the shopping list then.

iansoady
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:11 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Ah I see your setup too is also where the axle comes in from the left and you have to painfully try for ages to align the caliper with the right spacer while you try to get through- such a weird design fault...

Actually, you can put it in the other way round (at least on all the ones I've come across) making it much easier.....

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ring spanner, with the odd squashed tube pushed onto the end to extend it, should undo the nut. It's far easier with a decent socket and breaker bar though.

At a push I'd reuse a split pin, as long as it looks in reasonable order, all it is doing is stopping the nut rotating. But best thing to do is buy a kit of them for a few quid off the net so you have whatever you need to hand (like the pins on the rear brake torque arm, or footpegs). I think this is the pack I have - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/361483492034

For the halfords ones, I'd just take yours in to compare it, or measure it with a ruler. They really aren't that critical (so putting a 2.5mm one in instead of a 3mm is OK).

Last edited by bamt on 12:16 - 24 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:16 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split pins irritate me, I'd consider replacing it with an R Clip if you can get one to fit.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people still using split pins for shit like that?

I went over to spring pins years ago. Reusable, no hammering, no contest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150Pc-HAIR-PIN-HITCH-RETAINING-R-CLIP-CLIPS-LYNCH-COTTER-SPRING-BRIGHT-ASSORTED-/122377802136?hash=item1c7e491198:g:WdQAAOSwWxNYt2PO

Edit, beaten to it by Chris Crying or Very sad

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:27 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I went over to spring pins years ago. Reusable, no hammering, no contest.

And a hell of a lot easier to remove next time. Very Happy
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
That ring spanner, with the odd squashed tube pushed onto the end to extend it, should undo the nut. It's far easier with a decent socket and breaker bar though.

Probably just get the right tools for future use and keep the knowledge that I've got what I need tucked away for roadside use if ever I get stuck.

Halfords do a 27mm deep socket that looks six sided and combined with a 1/2 breaker bar works out at £23.48 so probably pick them up latter on me commute.

What about tightening it back up, just go bloody tight with the breaker bar or order a beam type torque wrench (borg recommended) from eBay?

Torque setting is something like 100-108nm.

bamt wrote:
At a push I'd reuse a split pin, as long as it looks in reasonable order, all it is doing is stopping the nut rotating.

Was only put in yesterday so if ever one's going to be re-used, providing I pull it out right, it's this one.

Yeah I figured getting the axle tight is more the focus. Counter hold the nut on the other side with a spanner while tightening?

Polarbear wrote:

It's what come with the bike, or what the come with the bike and then got a like for replacement yesterday.

Consider me edumacated.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:53 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
iansoady wrote:

Actually, you can put it in the other way round (at least on all the ones I've come across) making it much easier.....

Really- I feared it might fall apart if I didn't religiously stick to the workshop/original manual Confused ? Does that mean you have to switch the left and right spacer around then?

Are you serious?
The spacers are there to keep the wheel central so have to be in correct place. If you swap spacers around the wheel will be in wrong position. The axle is just a bar that tightens on the swing arm and can be reversed without issue provided it is constant section.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:

Are you serious?

Sadly, yes he is................... very very serious

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:06 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Polarbear wrote:

It's what come with the bike, or what the come with the bike and then got a like for replacement yesterday.

Consider me edumacated.

The do the job but they are just fiddly I've had to drill them out before because they can seize/fall apart. An R clip or Spring Pin or whatever you want to call it is a lot more user friendly you can reuse it for pretty much ever and it is simpler to install and remove..

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords do a 10, something an something breaker at what one do I go for?

Is the bigger mm just more leverage because longer handle?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay some 6-sided sockets and a *pair* of 18" breaker bars. Otherwise you might find the axle just turns when you try to undo the nut. If on your own, you can hold both breaker bars and apply differential torque (ie push one down and the other up) or wedge one against the ground.

At a push, a ratchet can be extended by hooking a big ring spanner over the end, but it's not awfully good for your spanners.

For reference, 100nm of torque is approximately 25kg at 40cm, so you might need to lean on an 18" breaker bar or stand on your underseat tool if it's been done up 'FT', but doing it back up with suggested 18" breaker bar should feel like lifting a full (of water) 5 gallon / 25litre bucket.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:23 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Ebay some 6-sided sockets and a *pair* of 18" breaker bars. Otherwise you might find the axle just turns when you try to undo the nut. If on your own, you can hold both breaker bars and apply differential torque (ie push one down and the other up) or wedge one against the ground.

At a push, a ratchet can be extended by hooking a big ring spanner over the end, but it's not awfully good for your spanners.

For reference, 100nm of torque is approximately 25kg at 40cm, so you might need to lean on an 18" breaker bar or stand on your underseat tool if it's been done up 'FT', but doing it back up with suggested 18" breaker bar should feel like lifting a full (of water) 5 gallon / 25litre bucket.

You don't need 2 breaker bars for this. If the nut is lose enough that the axle spins it will come off with a normal spanner & ratchet.
One BB is good for the initial undo.

I would also say extending a ratchet with a spanner is is worse for the ratchet. You shouldn't extend it anyway (I use a fork tube when I do Shifty )

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to use the breaker bar on the axle side an hold the other with a spanner.

Rather use halfords than eBay.

So one breaker bar of what size from halfords?

Edit:

Split pins / r clip
Breaker bar
27mm socket

Good enough to tighten with breaker bar?

Last edited by NJD on 14:05 - 24 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, 1 breaker bar should be enough. If the other side is spinning, then the tool that came with the bike will be enough to hold it until it's tight enough that that side doesn't spin. A breaker bar is a very useful tool to have, 18" is a good size.

I'm really not sure what Arcane1729 is saying about your axle coming in from the wrong side - it is coming in from the right (not the left as he claims), which is pretty normal.

Last edited by bamt on 14:06 - 24 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of chunky adjustable spanners would do the job tbh.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a 27mm spanner and an assortment of R clips so see how I get on tomorrow.

Probably should have got the socket to tighten it with the 1/2 ratchet I've got. Will the spanner do the job to tighten it?

Edit: server cocked up and posted short response.

Can I get away with leaving the chain adjuster locknut in place and simply loosen axle spin the plate around Andre-tighten?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Does that mean you have to switch the left and right spacer around then?

DROP YOUR TOOLS AND STEP AWAY FROM THE MOTORCYCLE.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Arcane1729 wrote:
Does that mean you have to switch the left and right spacer around then?

DROP YOUR TOOLS AND STEP AWAY FROM THE MOTORCYCLE.

Waaaay too late for that.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Can I get away with leaving the chain adjuster locknut in place and simply loosen axle spin the plate around Andre-tighten?

Should be OK.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2