Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stuck brake pistons

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:48 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Stuck brake pistons Reply with quote

As always, simple job on 21 year old bike turns out to be slightly harder than expected. I decided to give the brakes a going over before the MOT and they were not only very grubby but I can't get the damn pistons out. Grubby was sorted with some brake part cleaner, but the pistons are stubbornly not shifting.

Looking for alternatives to hooking it back up and trying the hydraulics but I've drained the fluid for replacement. Worst case i refill and try that but I'm looking for alternatives if there are any.

I don't have a compressor before anyone suggests that though, would be handy about now.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Removal-Remover-Pliers-VS1806-/371084615189?hash=item56665dde15:g:dTQAAOSws65ToELT

Or one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Scooter-Brake-Piston-Wind-Back-Removal-Garage-Tool-Set-8191-/222055742039?hash=item33b38dba57:g:zHgAAOSwP~tW6YKH

(I have one of these).

Or refill the system and bleed it and use the hydraulic pressure to push them out.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:24 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Stuck brake pistons Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:

Looking for alternatives to hooking it back up and trying the hydraulics but I've drained the fluid for replacement. Worst case i refill and try that but I'm looking for alternatives if there are any.

Just do it. It won't take as long as you think.

I've got an old master cylinder with a single brake hose on for just such eventualities. I just do it on the bench.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook it back up, pump the pistons out. Work smarter not harder.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once used a foot pump and one of the little football type attachments. That piston had been in there without moving for 36 years.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:46 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
I once used a foot pump and one of the little football type attachments. That piston had been in there without moving for 36 years.

Tried that but even the biggest adapter I have is (to borrow a sexual euphemism) like chucking a hotdog down a hallway. Looking like hook it back up is the likely answer.

Itchy: Tried pliers with a piece of inner tube as padding, are the real ones significantly better than that bodge option?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:58 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave them on he hose and pump them out

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:

Itchy: Tried pliers with a piece of inner tube as padding, are the real ones significantly better than that bodge option?

The expensive kit works every time. Probably why every BCFer in the norf area has borrowed them.

But as said the other option is just to use the hydralic pressure from putting them back on the master cylinder. A bleed job takes 20 minutes at most.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:29 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked it back up, went to take the reservoir cover off, screws were stuck and I forgot all about JIS temporarily so stripped them trying to loosen with a PH1 bit. Going to have to drill those out now, replacements should be here Tuesday and finally ordered a set of JIS drivers.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Geek wrote:
Hooked it back up, went to take the reservoir cover off, screws were stuck and I forgot all about JIS temporarily so stripped them trying to loosen with a PH1 bit. Going to have to drill those out now, replacements should be here Tuesday and finally ordered a set of JIS drivers.

Aint got any JIS driver bits but my original toolkit screwdriver is my friend. It even shifted the three screws on the oil pump which had been on there for 33 years.
Oh, and I had slight problems with the pistons in my caliper, but they came out OK and cleaned up nicely.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:55 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitrep: Reservoir screws out without damaging anything else. Rear brake caliper off, front back on and ready for bleeding but ran out of daylight.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:56 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question - neither front or rear brake pads had springs behind them. The support pads at the top are present, but not ones that push from behind. How important are they? Hadn't noticed any issues, and presumably the previous owner thought then optional, but should I replace them?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:33 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Which springs pushing from behind?

All the best

Katy

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:44 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 9 on this page for the front - https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/motorcycles/xj600s-1999/front-brake-caliper-346656.aspx

Part 10 on this for the rear - https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/motorcycles/xj600s-1999/rear-brake-caliper-346680.aspx

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:08 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They are a push fit onto the carrier, rather than being on the actual caliper

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1