Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed mod 2 for the 3rd time....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:12 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Failed mod 2 for the 3rd time.... Reply with quote

So, yesterday I failed my mod 2 again... that's 3 times now, and I have to admit I'm feeling very down about it. My instructor tells me that my riding is at the standard were I should have passed by now, but everything just seems to go wrong on test. Failing for stupid things, mistakes that I don't make when on a lesson. Any advice? Or maybe some inspiring words....my confidence is at about 10%. I have a lovely bike just waiting for me, and I have considered selling it because the last thing I want is to leave it lying up for years...

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed mod 2 for the 3rd time.... Reply with quote

Tonyg1987 wrote:
and I have considered selling it because the last thing I want is to leave it lying up for years...

Bit dramatic, man up.

Hard to give advise based on thin as as you've left out what you didn't pass for.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed mod 2 for the 3rd time.... Reply with quote

Tonyg1987 wrote:
I have a lovely bike just waiting for me,.

There is your problem. Right there, You are putting too much pressure on yourself to pass. Forget the bike, There is no bike, it does not exist.

You know what you have to do on test, it is just process. Relax, take a breath before you move off at the start, crack it out.

Failing that, come spend a few hours with me in Portsmouth and I'll kick your arse into shape! Rumour has it I am good at this shit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:28 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed mod 2 for the 3rd time.... Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Tonyg1987 wrote:
and I have considered selling it because the last thing I want is to leave it lying up for years...

Bit dramatic, man up.

Hard to give advise based on thin as as you've left out what you didn't pass for.

1st time: not looking right when entering a roundabout, I did look...but apparently didn't exaggerate it enough for the examiner to see, I fixed this on test 2 by taping yellow "x" either side of my helmet.

2nd time: pulled away from a green light, got stuck in traffic and left my back wheel in a yellow box junction.

3rd time: had my 3rd attempt yesterday, there was two lanes going right after a set of traffic lights, I started in the one furthest right. The examiner said as I made the turn I moved from right to left lane without doing a shoulder check first.

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:32 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Failed mod 2 for the 3rd time.... Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Tonyg1987 wrote:
I have a lovely bike just waiting for me,.

There is your problem. Right there, You are putting too much pressure on yourself to pass. Forget the bike, There is no bike, it does not exist.

You know what you have to do on test, it is just process. Relax, take a breath before you move off at the start, crack it out.

Failing that, come spend a few hours with me in Portsmouth and I'll kick your arse into shape! Rumour has it I am good at this shit.

In my position would you sell the bike? I spoke to a few people that think owning a 125cc would be beneficial...as taking a lesson once a week doesn't help gain enough experience. I've considered it but I feel like getting a smaller bike would be taking a step backwards

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Dont sell the bike, just put the thing out of your mind, It'll be there when you pass. When you buy the bike before test you do put yourself under enormous pressure. "Gotta pass, got my bike already" is always going to end in pressure.

You have had 3 goes at the test, you know whats involved so for the 38 minutes or so, forget the bike exists, you are not doing this for the bike, you are doing it for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have had three practise tests, now go book again.

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:47 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just booked it, earliest I could get it was the middle of next month. I will take a few more lessons to prepare and hopefully it will be 4th time lucky. I never imagined i would take failing this hard, I supposed I expected it to be easy as I had no problem with the theory, CBT or mod 1. It probably doesn't help that I'm not a car driver and until last august I had never been on a bike before, so my road knowledge isn't fantastic, and there is only so much the Highway Code can teach...it's just not the same as actually being out there on the road.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:02 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The examiner doesn't like your face. Sit it at a different centre.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your instructor, if he's got time, to follow you during your test.

I provided my examiner, second time, no reason to fail me so he decided to spout some shite about how it would have been different if the instructor wasn't there because he got in the way and caused a van, or something, to take action that if he wasn't there would have caused me to fail.. the memories a bit faded. Interesting given there's the examiner behind me and then the instructor behind him. Even the instructor turned round all like "me?" "lul what are you on about?" "Oh wow didn't realise." It probably never happened.

I don't want to dig to deep into it but bad examiners do exist and I've loathed them all since I encountered one.

Each time you get sent away it's more money in the treasure pot. Get that instructor tagging along with you and then at least you'll know that if you do fail it's for a genuine reason rather than some trivial reason that the instructors decided to use to stamp the red x on the form because the wife didn't make him dinner after a long day at work last night and he's woke up hungry and annoyed.

It's your pocket that's going to continue to get mugged. Stand up for yourself in the de-brief and argue the toss if he spouts some nonsense again.

How did that "you didn't look m8" fail on the first test get noted down o n the test report? Same question to the third and most recent fail.

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 03:06 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st and 3rd attempt it's down as observation when changing direction. My instructor thinks the examiner failed me yesterday purposely because the radio failed mid way through the test and finding something for me to fail on means they didn't have to give me a refund/re-test. I hope that's not true because I have had the same guy three times now. He also does the tests at the other test centre in my area, so I'm stuck with him. Apparently there's only 2 bike examiners that cover both test centres near me, so other than travel to another city I don't have many options.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

was talking to a bloke I know yesterday in the pub

he failed his first test in a car because the bloke doing his test couldn't pass anymore students in that month

this was going back a while though

luckily his instructor was in the car and challenged him so he got his second test free
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:06 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonyg1987 wrote:
1st and 3rd attempt it's down as observation when changing direction. My instructor thinks the examiner failed me yesterday purposely because the radio failed mid way through the test and finding something for me to fail on means they didn't have to give me a refund/re-test. I hope that's not true because I have had the same guy three times now. He also does the tests at the other test centre in my area, so I'm stuck with him.

Sounds like your instructor is telling you what you want to hear rather than genuinely being in your corner. Who's the one who actually stands to make more money if you fail or rebook? The examiner gets paid whether it's a pass, fail or rebook. Money isn't influencing him. I would suggest your instructor saw you coming, knows your psychology and sees you as cash flow. Your failing 3 times has worked more for him than anyone else. He probably doesn't do it with people who are more on the ball, but he sees a certain blind faith in you. Try a different one.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The examiner doesn't like your face.
In reality that's extremely unlikely, however three fails at the same centre may well be affecting you psychologically, so I'd agree using a different test centre is a good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:11 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try again.

They're genuine reasons for failing and it sounds like you have everything down, you just need to put it together perfectly for one 40 minute stint. It sounds to me like you know everything that you should be doing, but haven't mastered the rare situations which occur on the road (the junction box in traffic, for example.) Most people who have passed their test and have been driving for years would have done what you did. They didn't have to worry about what someone else was thinking though.

The shoulder check is something which you should do, however. Do it when you're a passenger in a car, do it in the lessons, do it when you're crossing the street on foot. Drill it in and exaggerate the head movement when you're on your test. The examiner doesn't see exactly what you see. He could miss it. Make sure that he doesn't.

Nerves are one of the biggest contributors to failing. Relax and concentrate on the instruction, not the examiner. He's just a pushy SatNav.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:21 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
The examiner doesn't like your face.
In reality that's extremely unlikely
Consider the possibility that OP might look like Hitler.

pikey666
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:41 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failing radio excuse is rubbish, on my mod2 the radio failed and the examiner carried out the rest of the test by giving me the directions he wanted me to take for the next 5 junctions then to pull over and get the next block of directions. Job done.

I know it is easy to say but stick at it and relax. Good luck.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location would help.
Also, as above...radio not required. Deaf bikers will tell you so.

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:13 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Location would help.
Also, as above...radio not required. Deaf bikers will tell you so.

Had all 3 attempts at southport with the same examiner, I'm from Liverpool so southport and St. Helens are the only places in reasonable distance for me to take my test.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:03 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ignored (selectively went deaf) the radio because I didn't want to go a certain route Wink

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste money on lessons that only confirm you can do it. Have an hour before to get used to bike again, go out, ride with confidence and stay relaxed.
Make observations obvious and don't rush.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:20 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonyg1987 wrote:

Had all 3 attempts at Southport with the same examiner

And when he failed you for poor observation the first time you

Tonyg1987 wrote:

fixed this on test 2 by taping yellow "x" either side of my helmet.

isn't this just a dick move that is going to put the examiners nose out of joint as well as making you very memorable (for the wrong reason).

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:21 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, at certain points throughout the test and when the radio actually was working, I felt like the examiner would give his directions very late, to the point were I would panick. Near the start of the test, he asked me to go right 3rd exit on a roundabout when I was literally right on top of it and never had enough space to get over as the right hand lane was busy, so I purposely stayed in the left lane and just took the first exit. Another example was he told me to take the next left turn, but a couple of seconds later said he got the rout wrong and to just carry on straight ahead...by this time I was already indicating and slowing down for the turn so I panicked a little. It's was a very frustrating 40 mins and by far my worst attempt of the 3.

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:31 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Tonyg1987 wrote:

Had all 3 attempts at Southport with the same examiner

And when he failed you for poor observation the first time you

Tonyg1987 wrote:

fixed this on test 2 by taping yellow "x" either side of my helmet.

isn't this just a dick move that is going to put the examiners nose out of joint as well as making you very memorable (for the wrong reason).

Wether he saw it like that Or not I have no idea but i didn't do it to be a dick, I knew on the first test I was performing the correct checks and should have passed, but he failed my because he didn't think I was turning my head enough, my instructor pointed out that it could have been the colour of my helmet as it's Matt black. The tape was a quick fix, I wasn't gonna pay £100 plus for another helmet.

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:15 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Chin Up Reply with quote

Tonyg1987
I failed my first attempt at the Mod 2, was really really pissed, but it happens. It didn't help that I'd told everyone I was taking it.
Second time round I didn't tell a soul...
It's tough that you have so little choice over where to have the test Sad
Chin up though, take a deep breath and have another go Smile
Kind regards
Ian
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2