Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SORN query

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: SORN query Reply with quote

I've just bought a new used car on behalf of my offspring (yeah I know, but what can you do - doesn't like bikes), but he doesn't want to use or insure it yet (he's not actually here anyway) and just wants to leave it on my drive for a week uninsured while he sorts out insurance etc.

I've told him he will have to do a SORN even for this short period... I don't know how hot the polis are on following up untaxed/uninsured vehicles but it's not worth the risk, is it.

Am I right in thinking that it would be quick and easy to do SORN online and then to retax next week (which also saves a month's-worth of tax, innit)? Or do you first have to wait for the paperwork to catch up with you etc? Also, does there any 'stigma' attach to the vehicle in the future for having been SORN'ed? ie, are future purchasers able to find out and maybe worry about it?

Basically what I want to know is should he just go ahead and tax and insure the thing now regardless?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:23 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You posted this on the end of another thread which had nothing to do with the subject so I've split it off for you.

I'll answer your question with another one:

How's he getting it from wherever it is to your drive with no tax or insurance?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You posted this on the end of another thread which had nothing to do with the subject so I've split it off for you.

Oops, thanks for that!

Quote:
How's he getting it from wherever it is to your drive with no tax or insurance?

He asks his old man to do it, as he is insured to drive any vehicle under his own existing car insurance policy. As regards tax - hmm, well providing the previous owner agrees not to report the sale on DVLA or claim the refund for a couple of hours at least, then I really don't forsee a huge issue there. Might be a bit late to be worrying now anyway...

Thoughts, anyone?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:34 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

He asks his old man to do it, as he is insured to drive any vehicle under his own existing car insurance policy. As regards tax - hmm, well providing the previous owner agrees not to report the sale on DVLA or claim the refund for a couple of hours at least, then I really don't forsee a huge issue there

There is usually a stipulation on the "drive any other vehicle" part that the vehicle in question needs to be covered by another insurance policy.

There are exceptions but it's usually only commercial "garage" policies that give blanket cover for any vehicle.

You should check up on exactly what the policy allows before driving. He should also have the insurance certificate on his person because it'll flag the registration as uninsured on ANPR cameras.

In any case, if he's not insuring it, your son should SORN it. It's no hassle to do. Can be done online using the green slip. Keeping an uninsured vehicle is an offence and while they probably wont do anthing about it for a while, they could.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There is usually a stipulation on the "drive any other vehicle" part that the vehicle in question needs to be covered by another insurance policy.

Ouch, so there is. Never spotted that bit of small print Shocked

Quote:
In any case, if he's not insuring it, your son should SORN it. It's no hassle to do. Can be done online using the green slip. Keeping an uninsured vehicle is an offence and while they probably wont do anthing about it for a while, they could.

For sure, keeping it here and uninsured was never under consideration. It was whether to tax and insure now, or SORN and do it later

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:10 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tax it now you'll get five days of tax for the cost of a month.

SORN it.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VED has become an infuriating scam.
Tax it on the last day of the month and you get charged a full month for that one day,
sorn it on the first day of the month and you don't get a penny for the rest of that month,
Sell a car and sorn it and you don't get a penny back for that month and the person buying pays for the whole month Rolling Eyes.

Am pretty sure I read somewhere they were making at a cool £17 million a year or there about's in double charged VED.

Pure legit scam.

PS. In relation to not having an insured vehicle, I heard you will get a notice at the 1 month mark warning you and you have a couple of weeks to tax/sorn from there. I've had a vehicle taxed and not insured on at least 2 occasions since for < a month and not heard anything from anyone about it Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:42 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a clear month uninsured/non-SORNed before I got my first nastygram, but that was a couple of years ago.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
VED has become an infuriating scam.
Tax it on the last day of the month and you get charged a full month for that one day,
sorn it on the first day of the month and you don't get a penny for the rest of that month,
Sell a car and sorn it and you don't get a penny back for that month and the person buying pays for the whole month Rolling Eyes.

Am pretty sure I read somewhere they were making at a cool £17 million a year or there about's in double charged VED.

Pure legit scam.

PS. In relation to not having an insured vehicle, I heard you will get a notice at the 1 month mark warning you and you have a couple of weeks to tax/sorn from there. I've had a vehicle taxed and not insured on at least 2 occasions since for < a month and not heard anything from anyone about it Rolling Eyes

Apparently they're lousing revenue. I've kept a bike uninsured/un-SORN'd for a couple of weeks whilst selling it and not heard anything. However I recently purchased a vehicle, taxed and insured it straight away. The car was shown as untaxed that day, and then taxed the next. Might have been cos I told the previous owner they could claim their tax back, or they completed change of keeper online.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There is usually a stipulation on the "drive any other vehicle" part that the vehicle in question needs to be covered by another insurance policy..

There isn't usually such a clause. It might occur occasionally, but not customarily. I have never seen it on any of my policies and I change provider every year.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

syl wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
There is usually a stipulation on the "drive any other vehicle" part that the vehicle in question needs to be covered by another insurance policy..

There isn't usually such a clause. It might occur occasionally, but not customarily. I have never seen it on any of my policies and I change provider every year.

I'll have to double check but I think both my bike and car policy have that clause.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1