Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

Hello all.

My name is Vick, I am 28 years old and I decided to start learning for my CBT then for a FULL A licence .

My plan is to get a Kawasaki z300 brand new once I pass my A licence and to ride it for at least 3 years.
This being said, I do not own a garage and am not sure what is the procedure in this case.

It rains so much in the UK, not to mention winters are cold and moist, is it viable to not have a garage and just keep the bike covered ? Also how does one request those metal hinges be installed in the parking spaces so I can secure the bike with chains to the floor ?

Is all of this viable, or must I consider investing towards renting a garage somewhere if I find one ? Maybe one just for the winter ? Is it true that newer models of bikes have no problem with being exposed to the elements if covered ?

Thank you for your time,
Vick.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bikes almost always live outside. Stick a cover on it, which can also help with reducing theft, and it'll probably be fine.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
My plan is to get a Kawasaki z300 brand new once I pass my A licence and to ride it for at least 3 years.

Your current plan.

I'm not saying you will change your mind but I'm not saying you won't. Whenever I read such threads it always makes me want to point out that, in my view, it's best to get the license out the way before you start looking for a bike because the mind and opinions can change quite a but during this time.

The fact you, think, you know how long you'll own it is interesting. Are you planning on buying via finance?

VickRides wrote:
It rains so much in the UK, not to mention winters are cold and moist, is it viable to not have a garage and just keep the bike covered ?

The entire year is cold and moist. A friend said something like "we have two seasons here, winter and that other bit." I concur with zed friend.

Keep the bike coated with ACF-50 and that all keep the crap at bay from attacking your bikes materials directly and then chuck a cover over it post ride once it's cooled down, jobs a gooden.

>

Your question regarding installing a ground anchor probably needs more clarification and detail regarding if it's private or council and if it's yours or there's multiple and it's a free for all. I sense there's legality I cannot answer. Needs moar detail.

On the whole your worrying about a problem before you have one.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad choice of first bike, but I'd consider whether buying new's really a good idea. My bike lives outside under a cover, and I've definitely noticed the condition deteriorating over the last few years. I wouldn't deliberately have a shitter for this reason, but at the same time I wouldn't have a top-end bike and keep it outside. However a pal has an expensive R1 and parks it on street Neutral

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:42 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

You'll be doing your training and tests on a 600cc+ bike.

Stepping back down to a 300cc, I don't see it happening.

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys thank you so much for the super quick and friendly replies.
I`m very grateful for your time.

To give more detail about anchor, I rent here in the UK, I will be staying at my current place for 6-8 months after which I will move to another place probably - still the same city just a bigger place. I don`t have a garage here , neither more likely will the next place have one, so with this in mind I was hoping there is a way to get an anchor placed on the ground so I can chain the bike to it. This current place has a parking lot assigned for each apartment, but no anchor.

I would be highly skeptical of leaving it untied like that on the street over night. I`ve searched for garages but they are like 150 quid a month plus so meh, seems a bit expensive for a small bike like that.

As for the other question, I say I plan to keep the Z300 for three years, not because of financing - I sort of have the money to get it - I just want to give myself enough time to learn and develop reflexes on a more forgiving bike. This 300cc naked seems like an ideal choice - I want to ride around West Sussex, go Brighton and around that area and chill and explore have cofee (mostly weekends as I work quite late hours weekly, and I live 2 minutes walking from work), afterwards I might get a bigger adventure bike or something but for now, I want to be tame and chill. Realistically I don`t want to give me the opportunity to be on a 600cc bike straight of the bat Smile) If I ever get sick of 300cc, I can always sell and get a bigger one. I genuinely am not in for the racing/speed/power aspect of it, I wanna ride and chill and enjoy myself lol.

ps. I want it new as I just came to the UK, I don`t even own a screw driver here, I don`t want to get a 2nd hand and have issues with it. I want to get new and just spend the little free time I have riding as opposed to figuring out as a new rider, why the 2nd hand bike is fucking up. Oh and I will get the licence first, then I will actually get the bike, not the other way around Very Happy

Further advice is super welcome Very Happy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing to go wrong on my bike in 3 years has been the horn Smile You can buy reliable 2nd hand bikes, low miles, low amount of owners and make sure they've been looked after.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike lives outside with no cover on it. It gets ACF50 and a proper wash twice a year. Still seems ok.

A garage is really nice to have, but it's not an absolute must. Worst case, put the bike in your hallway or living room Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
Further advice is super welcome Very Happy

I've got some, don't walk into a dealership they'll see you coming.

VickRides wrote:
I would be highly skeptical of leaving it untied like that on the street over night. I`ve searched for garages but they are like 150 quid a month plus so meh, seems a bit expensive for a small bike like that.

So what one is it?

(a) leave a three thousound pound asset unchained to any object in a parking space or (b) put that three thousound pound asset into a garage whereby at the very least, as an advantage vs option a, it's out of sight and possibly also option b might therefore make fitting a ground anchor easier, I'd imagine.

Spend £150 pcm or risk loosing it? Can you wake up one morning with three thousound down the pan and honestly say that saving was worth it?

Well, I'll stop myself because at this very moment in time this is all imaginary and you don't own a bike of any value I'm simply pointing out the mindset you should have as opposed to the one you write down.

VickRides wrote:
Realistically I don`t want to give me the opportunity to be on a 600cc bike straight of the bat

Engine CC is a willy waggling topic, it's about the HP of the bike (shoot me down).

As above you'll be training on a 600cc or thereabouts anyway so by the time you get to buying a bike you'll be well used to it hence why I said your opinion between now and then will change. You're not going to get a license without getting on one and you won't be put on one before your ready.

VickRides wrote:
ps. I want it new as I just came to the UK, I don`t even own a screw driver here, I don`t want to get a 2nd hand and have issues with it. I want to get new and just spend the little free time I have riding as opposed to figuring out as a new rider, why the 2nd hand bike is fucking up. Oh and I will get the licence first, then I will actually get the bike, not the other way around

Another area that could be discussed in its own thread closer to the time of you buying a bike but my small and brief input would be that buying new isn't always better. Keeping up main dealer servicing to validate the warrenty will cost a hefty penny, so I read. A dealer won't have your interest at heart and will give you all the sales talk and "yeah, that all be fine mate" you need to hand the cash over, you're trapped henceforth.

Buying used is probably the way to go because if you really do have three grand then you could get a bike and the tools, when you need em, to fix any issues that occur and have many monies left over.

The full license will teach you the basic pre-ride checks anyway so that's a start to not buying a lemon. The rest can be discussed latter in depth when the time comes.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

(a) leave a three thousound pound asset unchained to any object in a parking space or (b) put that three thousound pound asset into a garage whereby at the very least, as an advantage vs option a, it's out of sight and possibly also option b might therefore make fitting a ground anchor easier, I'd imagine.

Spend £150 pcm or risk loosing it? Can you wake up one morning with three thousound down the pan and honestly say that saving was worth it?

To a degree, that comes down to how good the area is, and if there is any possibility of putting in something to chain the bike to. A new Z300 is £4350. In 29 months of garage rental you could buy a new one. Is the bike more/less likely to last that long without being nicked? If it lasts for a year, then you've saved £1800 - that buys quite a lot of insurance and excess. So it isn't really that straightforward.

Obviously a garage also gives you somewhere to tinker with the bike and store bits and bats - though this will be somewhere not attached to the property, where people will see you ride a bike in and then leave it. Having broken in (dead easy in most garages) they can fiddle with any additional security at leisure and out of sight - so is it really that much more secure?

Who owns the building you are in? A private landlord may well not object to (or even notice) a properly installed ground anchor being put centrally and towards the back of the space (so it won't interfere with a car being parked by the next tenant).

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:43 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever it is you do, spend a lot on security. I agree with the above about the 300cc - regardless of how much you just want to cruise, the 300 may seem a little uninspiring after being on a 600. Anyway...

I think a garage is preferable, but it doesn't make your bike safe. Plenty of stories of garage doors getting kicked in, or people getting mugged for their keys after they've come home to park the bike for the night. I wouldn't spend the money on renting one for a 3 grand bike. After a year you've paid out £1800 or so which is nearly as much as the bike is going to be worth after depreciation.

I park my (1.5 year old) bike out front, and I live in a bad area for motorbike crime. I had my old scooter stolen, I had it vandalised countless times - seat ripped off, mirrors keyed, steering lock broken etc etc. My new bike (Honda CBR650) whilst two weeks old had the right indicator snapped off. Its subsequently been messed with more than a few times, two bike covers stolen / thrown somewhere, one bike cover slashed with a knife, mirrors bent, bike pushed over into a car. The bike is parked outside my flat which is on a very nice middle class street in London. The scum travel in form the local estates - all the bikes get a going over regularly just out of spite I think more than anything - they can't steal it so they trash it. This is the mentality of these cretins.

I budget for a few hundred pounds a year to repair things - mirrors, indicators etc. Still cheaper than a garage unless they set it on fire or something really stupid. Security wise I have an Almax which I anchor to a lamppost - no motorbike hooks on my road. I also have a factory immobiliser and a satellite tracker. I put a front disc lock on most nights too. I then wrap it all up with an oxford bike cover which I think has actually been the best investment from an anti theft point of view for some reason.

Don't know where you are based, but owning a motorbike (especially a shiny new one) in London is a testing experience to say the least. The petty crime is an irritant but other than buying a total wreck that nobody is interested in this isn't going to stop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Saraya
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:35 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried local housing associations for a garage? I’m in West Sussex too. It’s £60 per month to rent a garage with Saxon Weald, if you’re not one of their tenants.

I’m not sure how illegal it is, but our allocated parking bit backs onto a hedgey bit. I dug a hole under the hedge and concreted in my own ground level Y anchor to use with an almax chain. (Bag of ready mixed 'post concrete' stuff. Just add water.) It was a bitch to put in (and I nearly lost an eye!) – but I’m so pleased I did it. I even leave the chain in the anchor, tucked under the hedge when I’m riding. The dudes that come round and cut the hedges have never complained or reported me.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep your options open until you have your full A. There's nothing wrong with buying new, but for a first bike i would not advise it. Most people have dropped a bike, you probably will as well. Battle scars get worse when the bike is outside 24/7. Also i think you will get bored of a 300cc quickly. It's better to have more power and not use it often , than to not have it when you need it. Also an older bike will make you worry less. Will you really enjoy the new bike if you're worried it's going to be stolen or scratched?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:
The dudes that come round and cut the hedges have never complained or reported me.

Not to your face at least! I'm sure the CPS are taking pictures to build a case.
I might forward them to this thread as further evidence of your illegality. Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys thanks so much for all the input and advice - and for probably answering the same questions posted by every other newbie out there Smile)

Ok so from all of this I gather the following.
A. To not focus on the what bike yet, fist get my A licence and be done with it then focus on what follows - if 300 or bigger, etc
B. Consider 2nd hand as I might get a decent one (still doubt i`d have the balls but sure I will look around the webs for prices on almost new but 2nd hand bikes.
C. I will look a bit more into garages but at least it`s not the end of the world if it`s under a good oxford cover and I use anty corrosion products.

Finally regarding CBT and then FULL A driven practical exam in traffic - I`ve never driven in traffic before - ever - and to make matters worse in my country traffic is on the opposite side.
How can I best prepare for going out in traffic for the first time when I`ll be at my CBT for example, apart from reading the highway code and the sign book, I don`t think there`s much I can do right ?
Will they take me on quiet roads at the beginning and then taper me into traffic ?

Thank you for the input and help Very Happy
Vick.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large percentage of people taking a CBT have never been on the roads before. don't worry about it, just show up, listen and do what's asked, you'll be fine. Then you can worry about getting a full A license, and getting a bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:04 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of this:
https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code-road-safety

Many people[who?] find it useful to ride a pedal-cycle for a while to get used to the sort of observations - and lack of observability - that you'll experience as a biker.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:07 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the property has some concrete and the landlord is OK with it, you could buy something like this:

https://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/keter-fusion-7ft-6-x-4ft-23-x-12m-shed-204105

You can take it apart and move it to a new place or sell it on in the future.

Still chain the bike up though

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:10 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a bike no-one wants to steal. Pink might be a good colour scheme

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

But isn't this effectively what you did? I know you have the BMW but isn't that more of a utility bike than your other two - the Enfield and the Kawasaki?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

But isn't this effectively what you did? I know you have the BMW but isn't that more of a utility bike than your other two - the Enfield and the Kawasaki?

he did his the old way on his 125 and got a free upgraded licence after two years

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair dos.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
03 CBR 600 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:08 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Sorry, I missed this. Having a 250 in addition to an 800 is one thing. Getting a license on a 600 then buying a 300 right away seems a little hair-shirt.

It's not a daft thing to do, mind. You might have more smiles per mile on the ickle bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5