Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
Thank you hawkeye for the info. In the end I went with BikeTrac for insurance and peace of mind reasons Very Happy It`s tranferable to my future bikes so hooray.

Furthermore I would love some advice on the following, albeit the question will sound moronic to some. Please bare with me.

Because I`m a beginner rider, with not much experience and foreign to the UK, where should I ride in the first weeks of being by myself on the road? Should I go on B roads or country roads to avoid traffic maybe and ease myself into more congested areas? Or should I ride around town ?

I`m guessing early weekend mornings it would be least traffic. Maybe during the week after work around 7-8 go ride in some lit car parks for practice at slow speed stuff ?

I`m fully away that this questions are a bit silly, but if I were at home in my country of birth I`d know where to go and such but everythings new here Smile)

I rode on Sunday mornings to start with. Saturdays are ok as long as it's early, soon as the shops open muggles emerge on mass. I wouldn't say slow speed practice is all that relevant, urban roads are probably better as speeds are lower but you have more hazards. If you go on country roads just make sure you don't target fixate at the first bend Smile

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the feedback !
All has been noted Very Happy minus the crippled twice part obviously Smile)

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:36 - 19 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a little soft spot for the Duke 390 I must admit, although I believe they aren’t quite as reliable as their Japanese brethren.

Have you bought the bike yet?

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy. wrote:
I’ve got a little soft spot for the Duke 390 I must admit, although I believe they aren’t quite as reliable as their Japanese brethren.

Have you bought the bike yet?

Hey man, not yet, I`ll go down these days and pay/do paper works.
I did some research on the 2017 390 duke and most of the factory issues seem to be fixed with firmware updates (electric stuff like dash acting up and headlight). As for other reliability stuff I`m not that sure but I`ll have smth like 3 years warranty so I`m not terribly fussed.

It will serve it`s pupose as a beginner friendly brand spanking new bike that I`ve always dreamed of, once I outgrow it, I `ll just sell it get something bigger Smile I know I`ll loose some money in the process but I always wanted to buy a brand new bike haha , and seeing this one is 1k cheaper on offer, I won`t get anything 2nd hand for that money that I really like anyway.

Fingers crossed all works out good Very Happy I can`t fucking wait for some sun and some riding.

Thanks,
Vick.

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
VickRides wrote:
Thank you hawkeye for the info. In the end I went with BikeTrac for insurance and peace of mind reasons Very Happy It`s tranferable to my future bikes so hooray.

Furthermore I would love some advice on the following, albeit the question will sound moronic to some. Please bare with me.

Because I`m a beginner rider, with not much experience and foreign to the UK, where should I ride in the first weeks of being by myself on the road? Should I go on B roads or country roads to avoid traffic maybe and ease myself into more congested areas? Or should I ride around town ?

I`m guessing early weekend mornings it would be least traffic. Maybe during the week after work around 7-8 go ride in some lit car parks for practice at slow speed stuff ?

I`m fully away that this questions are a bit silly, but if I were at home in my country of birth I`d know where to go and such but everythings new here Smile)

I rode on Sunday mornings to start with. Saturdays are ok as long as it's early, soon as the shops open muggles emerge on mass. I wouldn't say slow speed practice is all that relevant, urban roads are probably better as speeds are lower but you have more hazards. If you go on country roads just make sure you don't target fixate at the first bend Smile

Thanks so much for the info man, like this was sort of what I was hoping I`d get advice on Very Happy
I`m aware it`s a bit silly being paranoid now about which roads to go on but oh well, I reckon after a few weeks of riding it`ll become less and less relevant Very Happy

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

eifion wrote:
VickRides wrote:
where should I ride in the first weeks of being by myself on the road? Should I go on B roads or country roads to avoid traffic maybe and ease myself into more congested areas? Or should I ride around town ?

It depends, what are you used to? Country roads have less traffic, but have hazards of their own. Cow shit is just as slippery as diesel, a spooked horse is 400+ Kg of flailing muscle and hooves coming at you, hedges are tall impairing visibility, and the thought of going round a bend too fast, running wide and having a tractor with them great big spikes for lifting big bales coming the other way

Assuming you're picking the bike up from the dealer, just get it home in one piece first. You'll start to get a feel for it, and get that first sense of achievement. Then go out and fill it with petrol and get home. Another trip done. Then make up excuses to go out, to places you're familiar with. Pop to see a mate, go out to grab a pint of milk etc. Giving yourself these little excuses to go out means in your mind your not "practising riding the scary expensive death machine" you're just "picking up some milk" which might take the pressure off psychologically?

Thank you , I will do just that Very Happy Luckily I get to go on google maps and learn the route from the dealership home as it will be a 45 minute drive I assume, so baptism of fire here I come Very Happy

After that, I`ll just offer a free milk delivery service for all my friends , who knows maybe one day I will get to build up a 2 wheel dairy empire Smile) But thank man for breaking it down for me, I know I`m overthinking things but thanks for the head pats Smile))

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:15 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
I did some research on the 2017 390 duke

Did it help to confirm the decision that you'd already made?

VickRides wrote:
I`ll have smth like 3 years warranty so I`m not terribly fussed.

What happens if the dealer simply fobs you off, as they did with Recluso's death-duke?

I really hope that KTM have sorted out the 390 and that it goes well for you.

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 20 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
VickRides wrote:
I did some research on the 2017 390 duke

Did it help to confirm the decision that you'd already made?

VickRides wrote:
I`ll have smth like 3 years warranty so I`m not terribly fussed.

What happens if the dealer simply fobs you off, as they did with Recluso's death-duke?

I really hope that KTM have sorted out the 390 and that it goes well for you.

I assume your cinicism and/or pragmatism comes from a good dose of experience mixed with exasperation due to the fact of having to answer same old questions over and over again for new bikers who more than probably don`t follow your advice to begin with, I get it really, and yes you are right to some extent that I probably suffered from a reserch bias that ultimately enforced/confirmed my decision into buying it anyway, but the thing is, I really want to buy myself a new bike, and I really like the duke Smile)
More than I like reliability of japanese manufacturers, or the cheaper price of 2nd hand bikes, or the advantage of having someone test ride a bike for a few thousand miles.

I read and thought carefully about all the advice received earlier in this thread , but the over arching desire is to pursue this Smile
And if it goes to poop, I`ll be the 1st one to admit you were right, and more-so, I`ll loose some money on a brand new bike but not on the lesson / experience that came with it.
Then i`ll get on buying a 2nd hand , or a brand spanking new bigger bike, who knows Smile

Anyway I don`t want to sound ungrateful , and I`m fully aware I`m ignorant of lots of stuff and I appreciate you taking the time to comment, but being condescending is not really constructive Smile

ps. I can`t seem to find a threat about that duke or the guys name, would you be so kind to point it out, I`d like to read what happened to it.

much love,
Vick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5